Mr. Aqua 7.5G Cube - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,616
It's a 950W Rosewill Extreme PSU. We are thinking it is the PSU as well. It fried the memory on his Video Card, one of the stick of Ram that is a set, and one of the RAM slots on his mobo. It has to be the PSU.


msnikkistar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
It's a 950W Rosewill Extreme PSU. We are thinking it is the PSU as well. It fried the memory on his Video Card, one of the stick of Ram that is a set, and one of the RAM slots on his mobo. It has to be the PSU.
Yes, Rosewill PSU vary greatly when it comes to quality and there have been reports of the Xtreme 950w causing similar damage to what you described. Even though brands such as Corsair and Seasonic are more money, I think they are worth it since the PSU can take out a whole PC if it so chooses. Plus, a stable PSU can mean a higher CPU overclock!
dj2005 is offline  
post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,616
Oh, we aren't gonna overclock. Funny part is, the Xtreme got really good reviews when I purchased it in Dec 2009. I should go look into that now that you say something, but I wonder if they corrected the issue with it in the newer stock.


msnikkistar is offline  
post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
Oh, we aren't gonna overclock. Funny part is, the Xtreme got really good reviews when I purchased it in Dec 2009. I should go look into that now that you say something, but I wonder if they corrected the issue with it in the newer stock.
Well, Newegg has a lot of recent reviews stating that the unit has either died, or sparked and died, or sparked, died, and took a few components with it. Of course, Newegg reviews, for the most part, are not a good thing to base the quality of anything on. I was hoping to find a review of the PSU on either jonnyguru, hardocp, or anandtech but couldn't.

The Xtreme lineup is generally reliable, but again, Rosewill varies so much. If you can get a RMA from them then I suppose it is worth a try since it may not be the PSU afterall (best to spend $10 to ship than $1xx on a new one), even though it seems highly likely it is. Remember, I'm judging this without knowing what the A2 error code refers to and what troubleshooting you two have already performed. Hopefully all ends well and that you get to keep your 11.4G tank. I was, and still am, looking forward to seeing some Cardinals in it.
dj2005 is offline  
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Elk Grove, Ca
Posts: 1,621
Jojos have the same rocks in your tank for $2.50/lb. I just went there today and saw 2 box full of em.
ddtran46 is offline  
post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtran46 View Post
Jojos have the same rocks in your tank for $2.50/lb. I just went there today and saw 2 box full of em.
Did you find out the name of the stones?
dj2005 is offline  
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Elk Grove, Ca
Posts: 1,621
They just label them as China stones...haha
ddtran46 is offline  
post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:30 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Posts: 29
dj, is the tank on the floor next to a larger tank? haha, gotta show that bad boy off on a nice elevated stand/table!
tougefury is offline  
post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tougefury View Post
dj, is the tank on the floor next to a larger tank? haha, gotta show that bad boy off on a nice elevated stand/table!
Yes, it is on the floor next to the stand holding up my Mini M. I would like to build a two-tier stand for the two tanks. Somewhat like this design: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20135300, though using three larger cubes and two doors.
dj2005 is offline  
post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 658
Re. the tannins, from my experience only water changes will help. You change it, they leach out, you change it they leech out. If you don't change it, they still leech out and make this tea like tank water, then the light doesn't pass through as well, and then there are more problems. The problem will pass in time.

Nice to see you starting up another one. A bit surprised about the CO2 though. You do such an awesome job on your other tanks without it! Guaranteed my next tank (you know, the legendary Mini-M) will not have it. Trying to simplify things a bit..... or a lot.

Please keep the updates coming!

Tom

.
tom855 is offline  
post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom855 View Post
Re. the tannins, from my experience only water changes will help. You change it, they leach out, you change it they leech out. If you don't change it, they still leech out and make this tea like tank water, then the light doesn't pass through as well, and then there are more problems. The problem will pass in time.

Nice to see you starting up another one. A bit surprised about the CO2 though. You do such an awesome job on your other tanks without it! Guaranteed my next tank (you know, the legendary Mini-M) will not have it. Trying to simplify things a bit..... or a lot.

Please keep the updates coming!

Tom

.
Thanks for the information, Tom. I just did a WC a few minutes ago so I decided to snap a picture before the water yellows up.

I've been impressed with what I've seen concerning DIY CO2 and plant growth on these forums so I wanted to give it a try. I've also read that Blyxa japonica is sensitive to Excel, too, though I'm not sure how valid that statement is. It grew great in my Mini M.

I can't wait to see what you come up with in the Mini M. The wait better be worth it.

9-14-10:
Just completed WC, hence the bubblyness.



And cropped picture for easy comparison of growth: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o.../IMG_1792s.jpg
dj2005 is offline  
post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 658
Worth it? No way after all this time. LOL.

BTW, I sure hope the Excel Blyxa info is wrong. Haven't you had great success with it in your Mini-M?

Tom


.
tom855 is offline  
post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom855 View Post
Worth it? No way after all this time. LOL.

BTW, I sure hope the Excel Blyxa info is wrong. Haven't you had great success with it in your Mini-M?

Tom


.
Yeah I did. I guess you read my post before I added the line describing that my Blyxa did great in my Mini M.

I'm just going by what I've read on this forum a couple times. IME, Blyxa does fine with Excel and I use 2x the dose.
dj2005 is offline  
post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 658
Thanks Dan. Yeah, I'm a 2x Excel guy myself. Just like a vitamin pill. LOL

There may be some things that Excel doesn't do well with, but I think most things are fine.

Keep those updates coming!

Tom

.
tom855 is offline  
post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
dj2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom855 View Post
Thanks Dan. Yeah, I'm a 2x Excel guy myself. Just like a vitamin pill. LOL

There may be some things that Excel doesn't do well with, but I think most things are fine.

Keep those updates coming!

Tom

.
Here are my findings:
Mini Pellia is very sensitive to it.
Fissidens also seems to do better with the recommended dosage, at the most. It does grow with 2x the dosage, however.
I think mosses are a bit sensitive to it.
Java Fern may not like it.

Besides those plants, I've had good luck with Excel at 2x the dosage.

9-15-10:

Last edited by dj2005; 09-16-2010 at 06:01 AM.
dj2005 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome