Placing of the rocks

Added MC for carpet and P erectus on background

Top view

9 April 2017

19 April 2017
Lots of Algae, doing daily water change. Trimming & replanting the mc

24 April 2017
The MC are still not carpeting & still lots of algae
Increase bubble count from 1bubble per 3 to 4 sec to 1bubble per 2 second for co2
Outlet bar change to a rainbar and point in towards the water to reduce surface agitation and create water circulation

25 April 2017
I can't stand the green water, did a huge water change and scrub the side of the tank.

Water added

With co2 on

See less See more
#3 ·
8hrs lighting a days during initial setup is a bit too much. That can cause algae bloom. Also, do you have dimmable control on the Chihiros LED light? Can reduce the intensity of light to level 2-3 at the beginning then gradually increase in later stage where plants matured. [emoji4]

BTW, do you do any dosing of fertilizer so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yes, I have the dimmer. However previously when I tried it using lower light intensity the MC keeps growing taller and not spreading at all.
I will reduce the lighting to 6hrs, maybe i wont reduce the light intensity yet? my main concern is MC not carpeting, if able to reduce algae at the same time will be good

I'm not dozing any fertilizer yet. I'm using Japanese aqua plant soil. The soil has only been use for about 3mths.

#6 ·
Unfortunately I do not have ammonia reading. However my filter was already used for few months before this,
I waited around 2 weeks before adding 6 guppies in too. Till date they are still happily swimming around. I assume ammonia to be at 0 or near 0.
Or am I wrong?

#13 ·
API has a master test kit for about 20$, that will allow you to test PH, High range PH, Amonia, Nitrate and Nitrite. The fundamental perimeters of your tank. You can go in a little more and pick up a GH AND KH test kit for about 4$. Also, a phosphate test will also allow to see where thats at. From what i have read a high reading in phosphate will permit algae to bloom. Get the liquid kits. Much more accurate than those strips. Read up lots of forms about parameters and what certain readings mean. Also, how they correlate. I am also new to the planted aquarium hobby and i can tell you that I've read SO much these past couple months. I think i put more effort into learning about this hobby than school haha. I am also cycling soil and i do a daily water change.. I don't even test it because the last time i did my ammonia was though the roof. That was with me being lazy and trying to only do water changes every other day. I would get a kit, cut the light to 6 hours, up your c02 and do water changes more frequently. Test your water so you know what to adjust.

#15 ·
03 May 2017

Green water issue seems to be gone after adding algexit in. There are however some melting of the MC, not sure if its due to algexit.

MC are still growing upwards instead of spreading. I added another 10watt led today, total 28watt now, trying for 1 week or 2 to see if there is any different.

Anyone facing same issue with me of MC not carpeting?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.