240g Cube - Amazon Tree Build - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

240g Cube - Amazon Tree Build

Very excited to start this build thread as its my first one on here and took quite a while to get started. I had broken down all of my previous tanks in the move so at this point I was down to zero.

Moved into the new house and now that most of the renovations are complete, I can start to shift my focus to the tank!

Ordered the 240 gal cube (4'x4'x2') from Glasscages and while I waited for the tank to arrive I started the hunt for the driftwood center (corner) piece. The plan is to have a large tree stump sticking most of the way out of the water with the roots submerged. This will allow me to plant a lot of emergent greens and basically cover the tree with plants. I plan on having vines, moss, ferns, lillys, orchids even growing from the tree while the roots will provide plenty of spots to grow submerged plants as well as hiding for the variety of fish.

Took a trip up river and found this bad boy that had washed up over the winter:

Got it in the car:

And back to the house:

About a week later the tank and stand arrived, I wish I had taken more pictures of the tank before and during the move into the house but obviously the safety of the tank was more important. 4 of us moved this into the house and while we planned it out well and executed smoothly, it was not easy haha

But that being said, the tank is in the house! Its going in the corner of my office as that is where I will spend much of my time during the day.

Now I will begin finishing the stand, epoxy inside, painted (moisture resistant) outside.

I plan on plumbing this all from the basement so I will have a large filter/pump setup that is plumbed directly into the water line. Soon enough I will use this to allow for automatic water changes and auto top offs.

Lighting will be a mixture of T5HO (high) and Kessil A160's (low). This will be injected with CO2 and dosed fertilizers accordingly.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a filter?

My original idea was to use a large sand pool filter but after some research I may be swayed against it. The head height will be ~12 ft so I need something pretty large.

90 Gal. Hi Tech. - Angels/Tetras/Pictus - torn down

65 Gal. Non planted - Ps. Elongatus "Chewere" - torn down

240 Gal. - "Amazon Tree" high tech planted community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome it's like a perfect trunk that I had imagined when I first started readying about your idea.

What funa do you plan on adding... subbed!

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Can't wait, that wood looks perfect!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:47 PM
Planted Member

maybe a baffleless sump. filter socks for mechanical filtration, attach a tetra pond box to the pump and stack filter media on top of the box. e.g. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f.../#post-5207432

for a pump maybe a Jebao/Jecod DCP 10,000. I have a DCP 8000 running on my 135 and that thing is damn silent.

Specs: Aqueon 135 Gallon, 55 Gallon Sump, 3x SBReef FW LEDs
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Damn! Makes my 93g cube look tiny. Love the wood I did the same on my build found a really nice piece out on the side of the river.

93g West African Biotope

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love the wood! It's like it was made for the tank. For filtration really sump sounds best. If you want to go cheap maybe 2x Sunsun HW-304A? It would give you 2x2000l/h flow and I've heard some good things about those Chinese filters.

Ropefish playground
- 120x48x60 cm
Nano playground - 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm (working on it!)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments on the wood! I agree, it fits very well and hopefully wont require too many adjustments with the chain saw. Still trying to figure out how high to keep the top of the stump.

As for the filter, i'd like to keep a closed system as I would like to keep my CO2 injection as efficient as possible. Ive thought about maybe closing off most of a sump with glass but I really do not plan on using the overflows that it comes with. I forgot to mention I will be removing the glass and having my piping hid mostly behind the stump in the corner.

That Jaboa DCP 10,000 looks pretty awesome. I was looking at some Iwaki pumps as well. Maybe the WMD100. Either way it will be fairly large. Does anyone know of any canister bodies larger than the Nu-Clears?

I plan on stocking it with Amazon natives. Angels, geos, some schooling fish, dwarf cichlids, different catfish. Nothing real gigantic. Try to keep it fairly community oriented, nothing is really set in stone yet.

I had been debating altums but may or may not end up just going with scalares, maybe some nice red shoulders.

My buddy is growing out some Red Head Tepajos that he's looking to get rid of when they get a little larger so those will fit well.

Last edited by pipelayer; 04-21-2017 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added question
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Planted Member

Amazing project you got here and that wood is absolutely perfect! How do you plan on cleaning/sterilizing that huge piece? I'd want to leave the wood as tall as possible personally.

On a tank that size I would certainly want a doser. Jebao makes a good doser as well, I actually own one but haven't used it yet. Price changes often, got mine for $61 Amazon link

29g Shrimp Tank Updated 9/24/16
58g Hardwater Planted Updated 4/19/17
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Algae Grower

Subbed. Love the dimensions of the tank. My dream tank is a 4' x 4' x 18" starphire glass. If I say anything mean in the future it is out of pure jealousy. jk. Good luck in this endeavor.

Don't complicate things, simplify them!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:20 AM
Planted Member

Could you... Could you just hurry up and finish please so I can show my husband just what amazing things people do with tanks and further justify my addiction?

All joking aside, this is an incredible project and I am very excited to see its progression! (And not just because it ticks all sorts of boxes for me, but mostly because it ticks all sorts of boxes for me)

As for the length of the stump, I would say at least 2 feet or so above, if not three, the top of the tank. If you can, I would hollow out the top of the stump too so you can plant in it and have ivy falling from it so the end looks more natural. Of course, considering the amount of thought this has already displayed, I wouldn't doubt that you already decided on that.

I'm just... I'm just so excited.
II Knucklez II likes this.

29 Gallons under the Sea, 4.12 Gallon, 6 Gallons From the Edge of Insanity
May all your algae get eaten, and all your scales be slimy.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:26 PM

That's not a cube
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd definitely go with a sump. Even if you don't close it off, you'll use at most an extra ~$10 a month in CO2... on a tank that size it will be an insignificant cost compared to the gains. The time you'll save in maintenance hassle alone would be worth it imo.

I also love that wood. I'd let the sun bleach it for a while as you get the tank set up. That's probably the only way to sterilize a piece that big effectively.
Calbears likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelayer View Post
Still trying to figure out how high to keep the top of the stump.
If you can figure out the lights, leave the stump as tall as it is. THAT would make a statement!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

sump all day

curious to know if are you doing anything to disinfect / treat that piece of wood?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
How do you plan on cleaning/sterilizing that huge piece?
As someone mentioned, it will be outside in the sun for a while but before I bring it inside I will be boiling a lot of water in my large brew pots and dumping over it. I know thats not likely to penetrate very far but that is all I can think of right now. It will be in the tank long before any fauna so I think anything harmful will have been killed or diluted by then.

Quote:
On a tank that size I would certainly want a doser
Yup, already have this doser and will be dialing that in when the time comes.

Quote:
As for the length of the stump, I would say at least 2 feet or so above, if not three, the top of the tank. If you can, I would hollow out the top of the stump too so you can plant in it and have ivy falling from it so the end looks more natural.
Yeah, I agree. The taller the better. Definitely thinking about hollowing out the top and will also be drilling some more holes in the side for larger plants to take root.

Quote:
That's not a cube
Close enough

90 Gal. Hi Tech. - Angels/Tetras/Pictus - torn down

65 Gal. Non planted - Ps. Elongatus "Chewere" - torn down

240 Gal. - "Amazon Tree" high tech planted community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode