36 Bow Journal... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

36 Bow Journal...

Got this tank a few months ago. Initially had no clue what I wanted the end result to be. Hadnt had a tank in over 15 years and the last tank I had was a 55g with a 15" tiger oscar which resulted in an empty and boring experience. Started to research planted tanks and the more I read, the more I knew where this tank was headed...

No pics of the first scape...

Second Scape:

Wasnt a big fan overall. Decided I wanted a more natural look.

Third Scape:

Just finished this one over the last two days. It was a total pain but completely worth it in the end. Made some adjustments to help along the plants.

The water is still cloudy as everything hadnt settled yet. Trying to keep the tank low-tech overall. Using root tabs, Flourish, and Excel. DIY'ed the hood light from the crappy 18w T8 that came with it to dual CFL 26w spirals. Easy and effective mod but as this picture illustrates Im getting a dark zone in the middle. Will probably adjust the reflector a bit or maybe even add a third bulb in the middle. Not sure yet if I wanna get up to 78w level.

Flora:

-Anacharis
-Hornwort
-Anubias
-Java Moss
-Morimo balls on the way

Fauna:

5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
4 Red Minor Tetras
2 Odessa Barbs
2 Tiger Barbs

(the barbs and the tetras get along fine to my surprise)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

UPDATE

Fauna has changed a bit. 24 Cardinals, 10 Rummynose, 1 Gold Platy, 2 Flying Fox, 2 Zebra Nerites, RCS...a lot. Changed the light to a Nove Extreme 2x24w T5HO fixture. Still lower light but a bit of power savings and ability to run a 6500 and 10k bulb for some color enhancements...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

I like it! You've got some really nice growth in there.

Do you find you have problems with the gravel getting down into the sand section?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfoot View Post
I like it! You've got some really nice growth in there.

Do you find you have problems with the gravel getting down into the sand section?
Thanks. I've never had one piece of gravel end up on the lower sand section. I made sure the rock wall separating the two was sealed well. They don't mix at all.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just going to lay this out there. If you don't have co2 and good nutrients with the Nova t5ho 2X24W you may run into algae problems.
I'm running the exact same fixture on a 20G High, granted it's a smaller tank, but i have the light raised 6 inches above the water because it's too strong, even with pressurized.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Just going to lay this out there. If you don't have co2 and good nutrients with the Nova t5ho 2X24W you may run into algae problems.
I'm running the exact same fixture on a 20G High, granted it's a smaller tank, but i have the light raised 6 inches above the water because it's too strong, even with pressurized.
No algae issues really. I clean the glass once a month. It gets a barely noticeable amount of algae on it. All the plants stay algae free. The rocks and the gravel side substrate pickup a little algae but nothing crazy and I figure its good food for the RCS and Foxes. Very clean and low maintenance setup...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Small update on this tank after almost a year. I've really gotten away from the aquarium stuff over the last few months. Got super busy with school last semester and didn't have time to mess with tanks. Tore down 3 tanks that were running and now Im down to 2 running tanks. This 36 bowfront and my 30c. Re-scaped this tank today and cleaned out about 4 softballs of overgrown Java and Spiky Moss. Really ignored this tank for too long. But now Im back....

Super blurry pic. The phone camera wasn't playing nice tonight. I should've taken a picture of the tank in jungle mode right before I cleaned it out today. Ugh, what a mess it was.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

And almost 9 months later here's another incarnation of this same tank...

Now with Discus.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

haha!! you put a crypt in there!! i'll convert the lot of ya!!LOL
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

did you get rid of the odessas?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Mko. View Post
did you get rid of the odessas?
Well, Odessa barbs turn out to be one of the biggest &*%hole fish ever. I lost all but one to a massive infection that destroyed a lot of fish in this tank last fall. The lone Odessa I have has been in my 40b tank where he is only with fish that are faster than him or bigger so he can't act like a douche. Gorgeous fish though. Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode