Jesse's Upgrade 15gal to 65gal Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Jesse's Upgrade 15gal to 65gal Journal

Hi everyone, I have had a 15gal planted tank for about 2 yrs now and it has been a rewarding learning experience, with the help of all the great info here. I have been meaning to upgrade for a few months now. Yesterday I went and picked up a 65 Gal 36"L 18"W 24"H tank that was on sale for $80, which was alot cheaper then the 50Gal Breeder tank I was looking into. I was limited to 36" because of where I need to put the tank. After reading tons of other users build journals I decided this would be a great time to start my own.

Already Bought:
Filtration: Rena XP3
Heater: Rena 300w SmartHeater
Substrate: Eco-Complete

Now here is where I could use some help.
Lighting: I want to go with a Catalina(read great things) but not sure if I should get a 3x39w 36" fixture or a 4x39w 36" fixture. I want to be able to grow most plants without having to fight algae all the time. I will be using the legs to keep the light over a glass top.

CO2: Moving from DIY to pressurized so kinda lost here, from what I understand I need a tank,reg(bubble counter),diffuser,tubing, check valve, drop checker(miss anything?). Looking at getting the regulator from GLA, looking at either the GLA CO2 Regulator or the Primo CO2 Regulator. Any advise on which would be better for me would be great. As for a tank I remember seeing a link on here to a brewing supply company that had a good deal on a 5lb tank, anyone know the site or if not ill order it form GLA. Also I will be trying to make this CO2 Diffuser

Ferts: Use Seachem line now, think about switching to pfertz or will I be spending to much money and should buy dry?

Driftwood: Need to pick up one large main piece for this tank all I have are small ones. Any links to some sites where you get to see the actual pieces would be helpful already did the google thing to no luck. I will be checking LFS also.

To make my life easier I picked up a 50' Python, since 1 5gal bucket is no longer a 30% water change.

I think that it is for now will post pics later when I have more time. If you see any problems or anything I missed let me know thats why I am here.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Planted Member
Congrats, a 65 is a cool tank. Will the CA light fixture have two switches so you can have 2 on for part of the time and 3 or 4 for part of the time? I would opt for this feature if you can. How high off the surface will the light be? Since you're buying some stuff from GLA, Orlando will be able to give you a sanity check on your CO2 build plan.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Thanks, I saw that about the 2 switches I will be getting that feature, hope to call them soon but wanted to get some input on the number of bulbs first. I will be getting the legs from CA so that would put the light only a few inches over the surface, not sure exactly how many never saw one in person.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode