• 2 Post By Thehobbyhobbyist
  • 1 Post By BettaBettas
  • 1 Post By Thehobbyhobbyist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My aquatinc Journey.

My journey

It has been roughly 16 years since I got my first fish tank. I was 12, and my parents finally agreed to get my first "pet". As a kid I had no real understanding of what I needed, other than the basics. My parents bought me a one of those start up kits and what I think was a 30 gallon tank. I would talk to the local fish store people when my parents would take me there to get new fish, but back then I really didn't have access to knowledge that I do now. I know I am not that old but truthfully back then my house did not have internet and I think I was just too young to know the importance of research. Regardless, of how unprepared I was, I loved having fish, and I would care for those fish for a good 3 more years until my heater broke in my tank causing it to crash. By this time both me and my parents were tired of the maintenance and we decided that I would be done with the hobby. I ended up working at that pet store when I turned 16 and I was a major part of their fish room, and reptile room. Looking back at it, it was kind of scary the amount of trust they had in me. I was training people (older and younger) than me in the fish room maintenance and animal care. I can confidently say now that I did not know what I was talking about, but I was good at talking about it. I worked there until I was 18, and I left for college. I still go back to that pet store every once and a while, and I still find people there that I trained (hopefully better off with more experience).

This takes us to modern day. I have recently (roughly 5 months ago) I purchased a 20 gallon extra tall aquarium as a impulse buy. I thought to myself, "I have always wanted to try a planted tank". I found myself having a completely different perspective on the hobby compared to when I was younger. I remember having a tank in my bedroom which was almost always half full (evaporation), and dreading doing water changes, I probably did them every 3 months or so. Again I was only 12, I really did not understand what I was doing, and 100% other than purchases was my responsibility (My parents helped me by paying for things, but not maintenance). As I ave progressed in the hobby I have found that I actually enjoy doing water changes, and the cleaning. It is one of the only things in my life that actually relaxes me. I know many find maintenance tedious and I am sure if I had 3-4 tanks I would no longer find it all that relaxing but currently it takes me about 30 minutes to do a 30% water change and cleaning with a bucket and a siphon. At the end I can take a step back and see "clear" water, happy fish, and growth. I found my self enjoying researching and learning about the different plants and fish that I keep, knowing where they come from, what they like, and how I could improve things. If the hobby wasn't so costly I could see myself having my own fish room simply as an experiment to see how much I could learn. For now though I will settle for my 20 gallon.

As of right now my 20 gallon has roughly 15 fish in it mostly live barers. I have a couple of pieces of drift wood, and several plants. Aongeton Crispus, Melon sword, Crinum, some variety of cryp, Anubias nana, Mossimo balls, some variety of moss I think a type of sphangum moss. I currently have a problem where the tannin's from one of the driftwood is tinting my water a yellowish brown. I have recently purchased some seachem puragen to clear it up as suggested by the forums here. I also have another problem were it seems like my plants are not growing. They are not dying by I am seeing little to no growth. I currently have about 1.5 watts per gallon using LED with a variety of spectrum light for plant growth. The lights are on for about 8 hours a day. I dose with fertilizer about once a week (I get algae bloom if I dose more often), and my water parameters are for the most part ideal for both the fish and the plants.

Well this is my journal for the month of March, I am planning on doing this at least once a month with the growth of my tank. I love to hear any comments or suggestions you might have. Until next month... Try something new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170329_195728.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	738842  

JJBTEXAS and BettaBettas like this.

One of the most rewarding things you can do, is learn that you love something.
Try something new, and give yourself the opportunity to fall in love.

TheHobbyHobbyist

Last edited by Thehobbyhobbyist; 03-30-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: I misspelled the title, the editing does not allow me to change it. It should read aquatic not "aquantic"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

nice tank and story, your second paragraph is the definition of my life btw. I also find it nice to do a wc, clean the tank and such. Im not a sit and sat guy so I don't do well just. sitting. lol, I like to keep myself busy as well
Thehobbyhobbyist likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
nice tank and story, your second paragraph is the definition of my life btw. I also find it nice to do a wc, clean the tank and such. Im not a sit and sat guy so I don't do well just. sitting. lol, I like to keep myself busy as well
Yea I like to do a nice partial WC, and then sit there and watch the water settle. I was reading somewhere a while back before I started up my tank again, that there is a group that is using aquascaping as a therapy for veterans with PTSD. I totally get it now.
BettaBettas likes this.

One of the most rewarding things you can do, is learn that you love something.
Try something new, and give yourself the opportunity to fall in love.

TheHobbyHobbyist

Tags
hobby, journal, journey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode