55 Gallon Blyxa Japonica and drift wood build [now w/ discus!] - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just stopped in to say: Futurama is the best show ever canceled!!! but wait its back again.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

You might be setting urself up for an algae farm with that much light and liquid CO2. I had BBA out of the wazoo running the same amount of lights as u are and dosing around 10 ml of excel daily. I ended up ditching one and just running 1 54w T5HO over my 55g at a 6-7 hour photoperiod and haven't seen bba since.

Just something for u to consider. Maybe if you start off with a really short photoperiod you can run both bulbs with out pressurized CO2.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went with the white pool filter sand for two reasons.

1- I wanted the tank to be as bright as possible.
2- Pool filter sand was highly recommended by discus keepers as a substrate that is easiest to keep clean since detritus has a hard time getting mixed in the sand, thus making it easier for me to vacuum out the poop, uneaten food, and any rotting plant matter. I plan on adding a couple of discus in about 4-5 weeks once my water is more mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
Im just wondering, why did you go with white sand? I had it in a lot tech tank and algae still grew on it. Hopefully it doesnt for you!
post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm only dosing the recommended dosing, which is 5ml twice a week. I plan on doing 20% water changes at least 2-3 times a week once my tank has been properly cycled. Now I'm doing a 20% water changes weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
You might be setting urself up for an algae farm with that much light and liquid CO2. I had BBA out of the wazoo running the same amount of lights as u are and dosing around 10 ml of excel daily. I ended up ditching one and just running 1 54w T5HO over my 55g at a 6-7 hour photoperiod and haven't seen bba since.

Just something for u to consider. Maybe if you start off with a really short photoperiod you can run both bulbs with out pressurized CO2.
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Unfortunately neither of those will stop the algae, but have fun trying!! That fixture puts you in the med-high light range.

post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol, no doubt, Futurama was way ahead of its time when it was first on TV. This is one of the best animated shows next to South Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlDukes View Post
I just stopped in to say: Futurama is the best show ever canceled!!! but wait its back again.....
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

haha, ok, we'll see how it goes hot shot.

Quote:
Unfortunately neither of those will stop the algae, but have fun trying!! That fixture puts you in the med-high light range.
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Finglonger View Post
Lol, no doubt, Futurama was way ahead of its time when it was first on TV. This is one of the best animated shows next to South Park.
You know its back and season 6 is being aired on Comedy central. I dont have Dish.... But i just found this link to season 6 episode 1

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/57050

Im watching it now!
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
haha, ok, we'll see how it goes hot shot.

Your missing his point. You made the rookie mistake....

HOt5 = high tech/Pressurized Co2

NOt5 = Lowtech/no Co2

I made the same mistake and have been battleing algae since set up. Excel just isnt enough to keep up with the nutrient requirements presented when using HOt5's. You will give up on the algae battle sooner or later and buy a pressurized set-up. Im saving for mine.....
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm all over the new episodes. I've seen every one, including the movies. Thanks though.

Quote:
You know its back and season 6 is being aired on Comedy central. I dont have Dish.... But i just found this link to season 6 episode 1

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/57050

Im watching it now!
post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess that's my bad, whatever, I might just scrap the whole planted idea. The discus fish supersedes plants. I'm not going to get into a CO2 setup until I can set up a real permanent tank, something 120G or bigger. That's one of the reasons why I didn't go with another reef tank. Too much money on a lower scale setup that I'll eventually want to size up. As I said, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice though, and as stubborn as I am, I'll find it hard to take anyone 100% seriously unless they have the EXACT set up and level of husbandry as me. I've seen so many tanks succeed in so many different ways. That's just me. At least I'm not killing off my fish ridiculously by adding them the same day I set up my tank.

Quote:
Your missing his point. You made the rookie mistake....

HOt5 = high tech/Pressurized Co2

NOt5 = Lowtech/no Co2

I made the same mistake and have been battleing algae since set up. Excel just isnt enough to keep up with the nutrient requirements presented when using HOt5's. You will give up on the algae battle sooner or later and buy a pressurized set-up. Im saving for mine.....
post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I guess that's my bad, whatever, I might just scrap the whole planted idea. The discus fish supersedes plants. I'm not going to get into a CO2 setup until I can set up a real permanent tank, something 120G or bigger. That's one of the reasons why I didn't go with another reef tank. Too much money on a lower scale setup that I'll eventually want to size up. As I said, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice though, and as stubborn as I am, I'll find it hard to take anyone 100% seriously unless they have the EXACT set up and level of husbandry as me. I've seen so many tanks succeed in so many different ways. That's just me. At least I'm not killing off my fish ridiculously by adding them the same day I set up my tank.

Well I can say our setups are pretty close. I have a 55g and run 2x54w HOt5s. 1x6700k 1x10000K

Ive been using this fixture for 8 months. Cut the photo period back to 6 hrs and finally stayed on a consistant daily Dosing schedule, got the Algae to subside and stay at a minimal level. But man am i going through the Excel!!!

Your right it can be done, but its just not practical. Now i see fully why all the experts say pressurized co2 is well worth the initial investment.

I went a lil overboard on that comment. sorry. there is a fine medium. I just wish that would have been put in front of my face when i first started planted tanks. turns out the WPG rule doesnt apply to HOt5's.... Thats why TUFFGONG cut back to a single 54w HO

Heres a couple ways to deal with too much light:

Floating plants!!! I had my tank covered in duckweed and plant growth was great, algae was minimal and minimal ferts no excel. Low tech! But i always have my hands in my tank and small floaters are a royal pain in the @$$!!! VERY annoying. Havent found a good substitute that i liked.

Shades: I havent tried this but have been tempted, Ive heard of people putting window screen and other materials below their bulbs to block some light but still allow a good amount through.

BTW your hardscape looks really good, looking forward to seeing it all covered up by plants
post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've got pretty much the exact same setup which is why I commented. My knowledge is gained via first hand experience and backed up with evidence all over this forum if you know where to look. But we are here for you no matter what you decide.

post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I've got pretty much the exact same setup which is why I commented. My knowledge is gained via first hand experience and backed up with evidence all over this forum if you know where to look. But we are here for you no matter what you decide.
+1
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the support guys. As far as top cover, I've always liked the look of lillies though I don't know if pfs could support it.

I'm not in a rush to buy a bunch of plants. Just trying to take things slow and see how things develop. I have a pretty good idea of what I want out of this tank and there are some things I'm willing to give up if things don't work out as planned.

Ideally, I would have a CO2 setup but if I'm going to do that, I want to do that whole willy nilly for a larger tank, with a sump full of ceramic rings in an easy to remove plastic tray, with my heater and a return pump in the sump as well. I would also add a separate canister filter with just filter pads to polish the water. Everything would have to be immaculate, where equipment in the tank is kept to a minimum. Obviously this set up would not have floaters considering the overflow.

Besides, this tank is really just a learning platform for me to see what works best for my style and level of work. That's one of the reasons why I loved my 50 gallon reef, has large enough volume to make small mistakes or get lazy for a couple of weeks, but small enough so that maintenance isn't a pita. I'll be on the 2nd floor of my apt for a while and may have to move because of school and work, so I'm in no rush to invest a huge amount of money on a high tech set up that'll I'll have to break down and sell or try to move. I'll wait until I'm settled until I can take my tank to THE SHOW. lol.

This 55G is really just to keep me sane since I love fish so much. It also impresses my girlfriend, which is an added bonus. I can't wait to show off my discus to her when my tank is ready. lol.

I laugh at those 100K tanks featured in that NY times article. Sure they look nice, but they're all fish only with plastic corals *ahem cough--weak sauce*. If you're looking to look at some nice reef tanks, I suggest these videos (everyone in the reef hobby knows it's all about the corals, especially sps and lps):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2f3o...feature=search
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOtK...feature=search

These reef tanks, I'm sure has more than 100K worth of corals, easily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode