55 Gallon Blyxa Japonica and drift wood build [now w/ discus!] - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That looks nice! Maybe a backround though?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu
The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2005 View Post
I can't wait to see it fully planted. Have you decided on what other plants you will be using?

BTW, are you a fellow Futurama fan?
I'm thinking of only doing a mid-level plant around the base of the drift wood and glosso for the carpet.

Nice catch with the Futurama reference. This will be a slow process since I'm not using CO2, just dosing flourish excel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
That looks nice! Maybe a backround though?
Thanks Jake! I don't think I'm going to do a background plant since I want to see the tank from both the front and back, peninsula style. So only mid-level and carpet plants for me.

Anyone have suggestions on a good mid-level plant that will do well under 2WPG T5HO lighting? I can't wait for my light to come in on Monday, darn you fedex!! *shakes fist*. AHHH, my glosso is starting to melt. I hope they recover.

iPhone pictures not doing justice for this tank but it'll do, thought I'd share anyways and get some advice along the way.
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Looking good. I ordered a fishneedit fixture and i didnt have any problems with shipment. Did you buy this 55 gallon off craiglist in ithaca?
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's good to hear about the fishneedit fixture.

I actually picked up this 55G setup from some spot in PA, Susquehanna. It's just 2 hours out of Ithaca.

Someone else was selling his 55G setup near Syracuse but he was really slow in responding and seemed really flakey. Though his setup was better, I couldn't trust a "maybe" sell if I was to drive out of my way that far in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
Looking good. I ordered a fishneedit fixture and i didnt have any problems with shipment. Did you buy this 55 gallon off craiglist in ithaca?
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

What are you using for ferts? Any root tabs?

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Finglonger View Post
That's good to hear about the fishneedit fixture.

I actually picked up this 55G setup from some spot in PA, Susquehanna. It's just 2 hours out of Ithaca.

Someone else was selling his 55G setup near Syracuse but he was really slow in responding and seemed really flakey. Though his setup was better, I couldn't trust a "maybe" sell if I was to drive out of my way that far in the first place.
If its not a problem, how much did u pay for the aquarium? I drove 1.5 hr one way for my 37 gallon and i wasnt in the best of mood.
post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

pm sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
If its not a problem, how much did u pay for the aquarium? I drove 1.5 hr one way for my 37 gallon and i wasnt in the best of mood.
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just Seachem flourish. I have some root tabs coming in the mail. My poor glosso is really suffering right now. I get my new lights this Monday, hopefully the addition of my lights and root tabs will turn around the glosso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
What are you using for ferts? Any root tabs?
post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

They will definitely help. IME the root tabs work wonders with sand. If you don't have CO2 running methinks ur going to need a bottle of metricide also to get that glosso to grow.

post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It looks like metricide 14 is the way to go.

Anyone have write ups on creating a solution for your fish tank using metricide. I've read you have to water it down with water. I just want to know solution ratios and dosing recommendations.
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahh, nevermind, I found a great report on the bar report

http://www.barrreport.com/archive/index.php/t-7153.html
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

I just ordered a bottle on Friday. I've got a 55 gallon and I was going to start off at 5 ml. I'm currently dosing the tank with that much excel daily and I don't think it's making a major difference so I think I'm safe starting with the metricide in the same amount. I've seen people on here dose in higher amounts. I think I read one guy puts 20ml of metricide in daily. I'll let you know how it goes.

post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just ordered 1 G of the metricide 14, so pumped to have found out about this!!
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got my lights today! woo-hoo!!

Got my fishneedit T5HO fixture today. It's so much brighter! I opted for the 2WPG with 2 54W T5 white bulbs.

As you can see, I also changed the driftwood work for the right side. I'm very satisfied.

I can't wait for the Blyxa Japonica to come in. Hopefully my glosso starts to turn it around.

I'm officially part of the rimless club, lol, kind-of.

post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Im just wondering, why did you go with white sand? I had it in a lot tech tank and algae still grew on it. Hopefully it doesnt for you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode