Jello's new 125- Pic Heavy- Fish are in! - The Planted Tank Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Jello's new 125- Pic Heavy- Fish are in!

Hi Everyone,

I recently joined this forum to get ideas, inspiration, and advice from the planted tank community while I plan out my next tank. This is really a great place to share ideas and information, and Iím happy to say that Iím pretty sure I have everything in place for my upgrade. Iíve been running a 90G high tech tank for a few months now to try to learn through experience what canít be learned from reading, and Iím fairly confident that I know just enough to get myself into big trouble on my next tank =)

Iím in the process of moving, at which time Iíll be changing from my current 90G to my new 125G. My new house isnít quite ready for the new tank, so in the meantime before I get into the new build, hereís a FTS of my current tank so this doesnít just turn into a wall of text.

On to the plans for my new tank!

Dimensions: 125 Gallon, 72Ē x 18Ē x 22Ē
Filtration: Fluval FX6
Lighting: SB Reef Freshwater Basic x 3
Background: Matte white static cling film
Substrate: Lava Rock base with Black Diamond cap
Hardscape: 130 lbs Dragonstone

Ferts: Starting with Osmocote+ Caps until tank stabilizes, then EI from NiloCG
Heating: 500W ISTA inline heater

CO2 Equipment:
10lb CGA320 CO2 tank
Regulator: DIY from @Joshism here on TPT. Equipped with Clippard solenoid and Swagelok metering valve

Bubble Counter: CalAqua Double Counter ER
Check Valves- Rhinox brass check valves (x2)
Reactor: DIY 3 stage Cerges Design

CO2 & Heater on separate loop from Canister

Eheim Compact+ 2000 pump
Jardli 17mm Lily Pipes

Fauna: (all of these fish are currently in my 90G)

Some notes: The Mollies and Guppies were from an attempt at breeding to sell to my LFS. I underestimated how many babies they would have and canít sell any more, so for now, their incessant humping will result in live food for the others in the tank. Maybe thatís cruel, but itís the best I can do. Iím also looking for suggestions to finish off the stock list for the 125G:

10x Madagascar Rainbowfish
8x Tiger barb (I know they are supposed ďfin nippersĒ, but they spend their whole day chasing each other and have left everyone else alone)
10x Zebra Danio
1x Marble Angelfish (rescued from a 10G tank my friend had him in. He fights terribly with every Angel or school of Angels Iíve tried to house him with)
12x Oto Cats
4x Yellow Molly (1 male, 3 female)
4x Guppy (1 male, 3 female)
8x Zebra Nerite Snail

Looking for adult Amano Shrimp, but canít seem to find them. Every time I add juveniles, the Angel eats them. Iím currently at three adults that proudly strut around the tank, but Iíve added probably 25 or so juveniles that ended up as snacks.

Flora:

I really love the look of Crimson Sky by James Findley, and would like to use that as my inspiration.

The things I like are the strong contrast between the A. Reineckii and DHG, the linear layout, and the covered rocks. There will be some large differences in my tank though: 1.) I donít want any emersed growth, everything will be submerged. 2.) There will be a distinct path running through the rocks where the DHG will be. Iíve seen a ton of tanks with a sand path, but none with a grass path. 3.) I will have background plants. Here is the layout as Iíve planned it now (only reversed because of the Fluval input and output sides, and Crypts in the grey area)

Flora list:
Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis Parvula)
Staurogyne Repens
Alternanthera Reineckii
Cryptocoryne Balansae
Bucephelandra (suggestions on sp?)
Weeping Moss for on top of the rocks

I will do my best to keep this updates with pictures of progress. The next job to be done is to finish putting together the CO2 loop, check for leaks, and put on the decorative film background. After that, I'll set up the filter and get the substrate going =)

I hope this can be enjoyable for everyone, and I'm certainly looking forward to any comments or criticism you may be able to give.

Till next time!

Last edited by jellopuddinpop; 05-29-2017 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Added photo of Regulator as promised =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Algae Grower

For some reason, I'm not seeing pics, but sounds like a great set up! Keep us posted as you get the new tank going!
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat24601 View Post
For some reason, I'm not seeing pics, but sounds like a great set up! Keep us posted as you get the new tank going!
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

I'm interested in the hardscape! Tiger barbs are jerks. At least mine were giant butts. I had some good success ordering adult amanos online, only a couple bucks a piece. But otos and nerite snails have been cleaning house for me in my tank.
jellopuddinpop and Pat24601 like this.

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's weird. On my end, I see them fine. Can a mod check it out maybe? I uploaded the pics to an album and then linked the image URL, but if there's a different way to get a photo to the middle of a post, then let me know. When you drag the pic to the "upload photos here" block, they end up at the end of the message.

Sorry all, I have the technical expertise of a child. Actually, probably worse than that lol

Edit: I had the album set as private for some reason, so I changed it to public. Maybe that fixed it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.
125G High Tech Journal.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

fixed! looks good jello

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
fixed! looks good jello
Thank you kindly Jim!

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.
125G High Tech Journal.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The pump you have listed puts out just over 500 gph. Is it going to be submerged? I know you said you are going to use a FX6 as well. I would be worried about the flow through the heater. That's my largest concern really. You'll only be passing the tank water through it about twice a hour after head height and restrictions, if you are lucky.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The 90 looks great, and I imagine even more possibilities with the 125G.

I like your plan, and look forward to seeing how things progress. Keep the updates, and most importantly, the pictures coming.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
The pump you have listed puts out just over 500 gph. Is it going to be submerged? I know you said you are going to use a FX6 as well. I would be worried about the flow through the heater. That's my largest concern really. You'll only be passing the tank water through it about twice a hour after head height and restrictions, if you are lucky.
The FX6 wil be for all filtration, and the Eheim pump is just to run the CO2 reactor and the heater. It will be run inline, not submerged (like this diagram).

There will be head loss due to various fittings and restrictions, but none from actual height. In a closed loop, the siphon action of water from the tank offsets the required pressure to return water to the tank. Also, all fittings are 3/4", not 5/8". I know an elbow is an elbow regardless of size, but I'm hoping that the larger fittings will help reduce head loss from fittings at least a little bit. Once it is all set up and running, I will test the actual gph and report back.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some work was done today! The CO2 & Heater loop was installed and leak tested, the background film was installed, the filter was put into place, and the CO2 tank was purchased and put in place.

Finished CO2 loop

Installed FX6 filter (inlet and output nozzles are on the wrong hoses in photos, but it's been fixed)

CO2 tank put in place w/ Regulator

Here are the full tank shots of the tank itself and the stand with open doors. Next up is installing the lights, routing the CO2 tubing, getting everything on timers, and getting ready for substrate.

Till next time!
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That was quick!
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
That was quick!
I was a busy bee today lol.

I have a habit of doing this to myself, but it's going to be a little time before it's fully up and functional. The tank is set up in my new house, which is being remodeled at the moment. The worst part is that the remodel is going in three phases... Right now I'm working on the upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms, then I can move in. After that is the main living space (including floors, this is important), and finally turning half my basement into an office (again, including floors).

Basically, I'm setting the tank up in the basement for now, then the flooring gets completed in the living room and I move the tank up there, then the flooring is complete in the office and it comes back to it's final resting place. My wife refuses to let me finish the basement before the 1970's shag rug comes out of the living room, so I'm fairly screwed lol. This stupid tank is going to get set up 3 times before I'm done!
BettaBettas likes this.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 AM
Planted Member

Glad that I was a part of this journey. I'm excited to see how everything turns out.
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some good preparation man! Good luck with the tank

post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Some good preparation man! Good luck with the tank
Thank you!

I'm doing my best to be set up correctly before "making the plunge". Something as simple as adding Eheim quick connects on the hoses to make cleaning the lily pipes easier goes a long way when it comes to routine maintenance. I really don't want to be in a position where I'm trying to make changes to a fully functioning tank.

Nigel95 likes this.

125G High Tech Journal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode