Riparium Experiment - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By sns26
  • 1 Post By sns26

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Riparium Experiment

Hi all - After six years of nature aquarium-style scapes in my 57g show tank, I wanted to try something different. In poking around the usual web sources for inspiration, I came across the idea of doing a riparium. What attracted me was the flexibility; I could easily fool around with plant placement, light levels, water levels, etc. Plus my tank was perfectly suited for it: open top, rimless, suspended fixture at variable height (and tunable light intensity). So...I jumped in with the help of hydrophyte and his "aqua verdi" web storefront.

In a nutshell: different and fun for me, and my wife & neighbors are big fans (because of the location of the tank and the frequency of our visitors, I get a lot of running commentary).

This is early days, of course. Things are just starting to grow in, but you can search the term "riparium" and see lots of finished examples of what I'm aiming for. So far, the plant I like the best is the little (so far) dwarf taro. The kids love the water repellent leaves, and I love what the plant should eventually grow into. Fingers crossed.

One of the interesting things about this style is that you can't use standard strategies for stacking plants to deal with lighting your foreground/background. The emergents in the back are obviously going to eat the light in the back of the tank, so it'll be hard to put something tall in the subsurface back there. I just tossed a bunch of trident on driftwood and I'm hoping to get it established in front with high light then move it back eventually. Also, my foreground gravel setup looked nice at first but is going to get green quick unless I get some stems in quickly. I'll figure it out eventually, and some otos ought to take care of things in the meantime.

Also, an uncompensated plug: Devin at Aqua Verdi was super helpful in getting me going, and the planting boxes he sells are really nice for this purpose, not least because you can "stack" them allowing you to do a mix-and-match background and foreground. Imagine being able to do that with rooted plants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overall shot.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	728434  

Name:	planting box.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	728450  

Name:	dwarf taro in tank.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	728458  

Last edited by sns26; 03-04-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: fixing pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking good!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I used aquasoil in the boxes, but i'm wondering if it's giving the plants enough nutrients. I put a few slivers of root tablets in a couple of the boxes to see if those plants respond.

Also I'm thinking of ditching my sand foreground in favor of a planted foreground.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

That looks awesome. My next tank is going to be something close to that I want to do a riparium cold water style, to use local stuff from a spring on my property. Craw fish, small minnows, whatever else I can catch lol

Check out my first ever Planted Tank!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ank-build.html
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Fertilising the water should be able to let you feed the above water plants as well, but root tabs probably won't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Fertilising the water should be able to let you feed the above water plants as well, but root tabs probably won't hurt.

I assumed that as well but to me it seems like other than water changes there's no way for water to move in and out of the root structures of the plants.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns26 View Post
I assumed that as well but to me it seems like other than water changes there's no way for water to move in and out of the root structures of the plants.
Ah is that because the planters do not have holes?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Holes in the bottom but not on the sides. On balance I like it that way because I can stick one planter to another
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can easily add a fert tab to a planted planter by just lowering the water and poking a hole with a pencil and shoving the tab about 1/2-way down. When you raise the water level again the substrate will re-settle to bury the tab.

Dosed ferts in the water column will diffuse into the root zone in the planters. As the plants grow you will also see roots growing through those holes in the bottoms of the planters.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Riparium Experiment

Flower! This never happened in my "real" aquarium. My wife loves this new style of tank, and it's been fun for me too. This is a zephyranthes rain lily. I got this flower about 6 weeks after planting the bulb. Hydrophyte, will this just keep flowering or is it a one-and-done?
Opare likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

pretty flower

(ᕗ ಠ︡益︠ಠ︠)ᕗ︵ ┻┻ ¤¸¸.•´¯`•¸¸.•..>> The Butt Of The Forum <<..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸¸¤(ง︡'-'︠)ง Betta 💪 (•︡益︠•) 👊 Bettas ┻━┻︵💨ᕙ(🔥益🔥ᕙ )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode