5Likes
  • 3 Post By PEdwards
  • 1 Post By PEdwards
  • 1 Post By PEdwards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Super Simple Setup 1- 60 minute challenge

This little guy was set up late last year as a means of encouraging a dear friend and very talented aquascaper who was feeling down and uninspired after not doing as well as expected in a live aquascaping competition. I challenged myself to set it up from an empty tank to finish in 60 minutes and only use plants and rocks I had on hand after setting up the 80 gallon. I'm not normally a fan of iwagumi setups, and don't typically do rock-only aquascapes so I set the challenge for myself to see what I could come up with. The official title is [insert friend's name] Rocks Tank, but we'll call it the 60 Minute Three Species Challenge tank here.

Right now the only intent is to keep it growing emersed. It's too easy to do and requires very little in the way of effort or expense. I'll find a stand and other hardware for it at some point, but the big tank has priority in the limited aquarium supply budget. This and Super Simple Setup 2 will eventually be shrimp tanks so I can have dedicated systems to learn how to keep those buggers alive and not mass murder them like I have in all my main displays.

Specs-
  • 12ish gallon sample tank I got from work
  • 2x 6 watt LED 8000K fixtures on for approx 10 hrs/day when I remember to turn them on and off.
  • Filtration and CO2 TBD
  • 2mm black planted aquarium substrate I had laying around
  • Rocks gathered from the nearby stream
  • Aquavinnova tissue culture Utricularia graminifolia and Cryptocoryne x. willisi, approx 6 pots each. It also had a few S. repens which have been taken out and put in the 80 gallon. The moss on the rocks came from a supplier in emersed form (which I hate working with) so I stuck some on the rocks just to see what would happen.
  • Nutrients- some sort of small fertilizer tab one of my bosses got from a vendor at CIPS
  • Water spray 1 or 2 times a week if/when I remember

Initial set up photo, 11.9.16-

Today, 3.3.17-

Please forgive the poor pics, I'm still learning how to use a DSLR camera.

Regards,
Phil

Last edited by PEdwards; 03-03-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

3.16.17 Photo dump; not much to see here-

Not a whole lot changes in SSS1, the Crypts are still in stasis and the UG is slowly growing.

Taken about a week ago

Taken this morning

I'm starting to seriously consider taking the UG that's under water and putting it in the 80g now that there's a boatload of room in the foreground.

Thanks for watching. I'll have my laptop with me while I'm gone, so don't have a wild party and trash the place!

Cheers,
Phil
BettaBettas likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think you should just keep it in there, if you wanna move some them I suggest a tiny bit... I wanna see that stuff in a carpet

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you stalking me?

As for the UG, the stuff underwater right now isn't faring as well as those bunches above water. I'd rather not lose all the submerged stuff so it may as well go in the main display and get good light, CO2, and ferts. If it grows, great. If not, well, it wasn't expected to do much in this tank either.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEdwards View Post
Are you stalking me?

As for the UG, the stuff underwater right now isn't faring as well as those bunches above water. I'd rather not lose all the submerged stuff so it may as well go in the main display and get good light, CO2, and ferts. If it grows, great. If not, well, it wasn't expected to do much in this tank either.
Ah ok I understand didn't know the details there.
and to answer your question yes...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

4.2.17 Update-

Not much and a lot has changed in SSS1 of late. My boss wants to do a new tank at work and that means a fish order, which means I get free shrimp. On top of that, I scored a nice double bubble counter regulator that will feed both SSS1 and SSS2. But wait, there's more! Seachem sent me some Flourish Advance to try out. I hadn't planned on making any significant changes to either tank for a while, but the combination of circumstances sort of forced my hand. Since I really really really didn't want to put water in SSS2 yet, flooding SSS1 was the only option as a home for shrimp. That had been the plan all along, but the timeline got moved forward quicker than expected.

So what's changed? Added water, a filter, and CO2. What hasn't changed? Everything else. Since the tank's on the floor I couldn't really do any sort of siphoning so all the algae that had grown on the substrate surface and rock is still in there. All the plants are where they were before too. I hope this doesn't become a hot mess that'll drive me nuts. I'm hoping the filter media and shrimp will take care of it for me.

Current specs:
2x 6w 8000K AquaEl LED lights. Cobalt is now selling them under their own brand, and in black rather than white. These were free samples and free is best so I snagged them.

CO2: Unknown brand of little plastic diffuser with what looks to be a ceramic plate. I've used it in tanks at work and it's REALLY good at making fine bubbles. Plus it's stupid easy to keep clean. A rub with the rough side of a kitchen sponge is all it needs to be back to 100%.

Lights and CO2 come on when I plug them in and go off when I unplug them. That's usually 8am before I go to work and around 8pm when I go to bed.

Filter: Cobalt Clearvue 20 internal filter with a blend of granular activated carbon and organic scavenging resin I came up with. I'll be putting the sponge back in eventually, but I want to scrub the water as clean as I can in hopes of knocking back some of the algae.

All of the plants have been growing emersed so I expect a significant melt/die off in the near future. I just hope it doesn't wreak havoc as there's not much I can do to give the tank a significant cleaning/siphoning. Water changes are no problem, just no siphoning unless I pull out the shop vac and pull everything out. Of all the tanks I've done, I think this one is going to push my patience the farthest. I dislike the way it looks right now and hope things grow in quickly. I guess the shrimp won't mind.

BettaBettas likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Some tank got some shrimp today..... It also got a boatload of algae. I may do a blackout, the problem with that being doing the big water change afterwards....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode