Matt's 55 Gallon Journal (56k Warning!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to soundgy
Matt's 55 Gallon Journal (56k Warning!)

Hey All! I decided to start a journal for each of my tanks. They are both in the waiting phase right now and I don't have much to do, so what better way to spend your time than post a journal. I will have one journal for each one of my tanks. This journal will be for my 55 gallon tank. I will try and post both journals in my signature in case you want to look at either of them. The other journal is for a 20 gallon tall tank.

I will post some pictures for you guys to get an idea of where I am at. As always, comments/critiques/suggestions are welcome, but please be respectful. I am a n00b and will not deny that. I do not pretend to know any more than anyone else on here. My tanks are always open to improvement and I welcome ideas with open arms. I will also try and keep the spelling and grammar mishaps to a minimum. FYI, I am borrowing this structure of journal from thatgmc, his style of journal is awesome. Must give him credit.

So lets get right down to it! Shall We? Here is my list of equipment, fauna, and flora.

Tank:
- Standard Aqueon Petco 55 Gallon

Stand:
- Petco pre-assembled 55 gallon black stand

Lighting:
- All-Glass Tripple Tube T8 with 3 x 32 W 8,000K 48" bulbs
- All-Glass 24" Hoods (two)

Filter:
- Rena XP3

Heater:
- Hydor 300W (not in use during summer)

Landscape:
- Eco-complete - black - 4 x 20lb Bags

Flora:
- Unknown Species #1
- Unknown Species #2

Fauna:
- 1 Living Pond Snail

Plans? I do plan on doing a 10-20lb pressurized CO2 setup in the next few months and a high-light replacement. I was going to tie all of my tanks together, but now I am rethinking that. Many of you have told me some profound thoughts and ideas. These ideas have really taken a foothold in my head. For now, I will leave all of my tanks separated and treat them as such.

This is my very first tank ever. First planted tank, first freshwater tank, first everything. I like starting out at 60mph lol. If there is a good way to do something, why not skip all of the bad ways first. No sense in getting a gold fish bowl or a single beta when I can just get a 55gal and go all out. I will keep this updated as I pretty much have no life. If you have any requests, pictures, etc., just let me know.

Hope you enjoy what is coming down the road for this setup.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_01.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	22378  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_02.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	22379  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_03.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	22380  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_04.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	22381  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_05.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	22382  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

More Pictures

Here are some more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_06.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	22383  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_07.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	22384  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_08.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	22385  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_09.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	22386  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_10.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	22387  

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Even More Pictures

Some more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_11.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	22389  

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Planted Member

Good job Bro
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here are some more up-to-date pictures. Unfortunately most of the plants in this tank did not survive. I have no doubt it was something that I did. Just don't know what. It does look like at least 1 plant from each species is going to survive. I can see some new leaves coming in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_12.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	22405  

Name:	55_Gal_Journal_13.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	22406  

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

HI would like to point out a few things, and help you but some of it might come off as being rude hopefully it won't. first off slow down. plan everything out and go slow with it.the problem I think is let me guess the plants came from petco. most plants petco/petsmart sell are for terriums and not aquariums, and will rot away in aquariums.
also you said you plan to get a high light fixture. high powerful lighting is not always better. more light = more algae it also means you will have to more or likely pump more c02 in to the aquarium, and also means more ferts. will be used.

what is your goal for this aquarium? and I will help you with your tank. I'm also in plano.

Thanks, Joey. tanks-CUBE of different sizes.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Algae Grower

If you do in fact have only 1 pond snail in The tank, I strongly suggest removing it, as you will shortly have 4637484 pond snails in the tank. They eat plants and lay eggs everywhere.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

fishyjoe24, thanks for the advice! The plants came from a friend's trimmings, but they had BBA on them. They were already fighting BBA and he had RODI water, which I do not. I am thinking between the algae and the drastic water change, they were not able to bounce back like normal. It does look like some might survive though. Also, what do you mean slow down. That tank has sat there just like this for 3 weeks. Any slower and I might as well quit lol. The only thing that has changed inside this tank for 2 weeks is the log I removed and put in my 20 gal.

I do want to put more light in here. Not sure how much yet. I want a jungle in this tank with a variety of colors and species. From what I have seen, you need high light to get anything other than green for the most part. I do already plan on getting a full CO2 setup from GLA, so I have that covered. High maintenance is of no concern to me. I also have already purchased all of the dry ferts I need from GLA.

My main goal for this aquarium is to make it a colorful jungle with a ton of small schooling fish. Whatever it takes to make that happen, I am game.

marley77, I am actually trying to breed the pond snails. I am going to get loaches and they LOVE pond snails. Believe me, I won't have them for long after I put my loaches in.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm saying plan out the tank, before this and that.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I agree, I don't even know where to start. That's why it's been sitting doing nothing. Of course, having no money at the moment is also a big part of that. I am not exactly a good designer, landscaper, etc.. This will be my first venture into something that requires creativity, so this is quite a challenge designing from scratch. I may try and copy someone's tank, then modify it from there, not sure.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Planted Member

Ohhh I dunno if I agree with you, fishyjoe....I bought a 5.5G on sale, picked some substrate and a heater having NO idea what I wanted to do. I knew I needed a filter though so a week later I got a filter. Then I de-rimmed it 'cause....well, why not? Then, I saw a pot of HG at the store so I got it and stored it in my 29. Found a really cool piece of wood fishing the next weekend so I kept it. Two days later we were fishing at this river and I saw some rocks I liked....

My point is, not every tank NEEDS to be planned. I had no idea I wanted to do a jungle look until I saw that wood....no idea what I wanted to do with it for almost 3 weeks....but I did it RIGHT. That's the key.

20G High Tech
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This is true Ak, also, your 5.5 is awesome, I am watching that tank! I usually plan things out in every aspect of my life, maybe this one I should be a little more spontaneous.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Planted Member

Rescaping is not a problem. I say go for it and once you get everything going and don't like things about it. Change it
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
Ohhh I dunno if I agree with you, fishyjoe....I bought a 5.5G on sale, picked some substrate and a heater having NO idea what I wanted to do. I knew I needed a filter though so a week later I got a filter. Then I de-rimmed it 'cause....well, why not? Then, I saw a pot of HG at the store so I got it and stored it in my 29. Found a really cool piece of wood fishing the next weekend so I kept it. Two days later we were fishing at this river and I saw some rocks I liked....

My point is, not every tank NEEDS to be planned. I had no idea I wanted to do a jungle look until I saw that wood....no idea what I wanted to do with it for almost 3 weeks....but I did it RIGHT. That's the key.
I only said that because I've seen people be conned in to "will you need 3-4 watts per a gallon, and you need this much "special plant substrate" and you will need this and that. over spending when they don't need the stuff. like me I went out and got 3-4 watts, not knowing i could of got a brand spanking new 2 bulb t5 HO light fixture, then what i spent on a used power compact ballast, and 2 new 96w bulbs, and a 4 foot reflector.

I don't mean to sound like a donkey, I'm just making sure he doesn't fall for the plants in a tube at petco/petsmart, and you will need 3-4 watts per a gallon. etc etc that's all.

I've tried plants just by going by "well how many watts per a gallon will I need for this plant, and know what that's a dumb thing. I wasted money on plants that died or i didn't like that I would of had my 55g done by now.
now I'm wanting a 125g, if only I can sell my 55g.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode