Heather's 27 Gallon Cube//mini update 1.5.12. Low light, low tech - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh my god. Crispino Ramos's plant packages are awesome. I've got so many plants I don't know what to do with them.

I ran out of plant weights* so I've got dozens of stems (like a 3inch layer covering the whole tank surface!) just floating waiting to find their homes in the scape. I'll pick some up at work tonight when I take my mini-hellbeast** of a dog in for her training class and will get photos then Lights aren't on til 6 anyway.

* not the method of choice, I know, but when I order non-rooted cuttings I always have to use plant weights until they root. My full-sized cory cats send them floating otherwise...shoulda got pygmys, but I love the ones I have.

** she's not that bad...just was a rescue who has no manners, really, though she's improved greatly since she's been in our home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Now for photos, only three, but this is the new scape. A little collectoritis-y, but all the plants probably won't stick around. I'll give away the ones that don't grow well because I know my tank can't support the lighting needs of some of them. Also I have some anubias, java ferns and some mosses and fissidens that will go on the DW eventually.

Here's the tank before I got my big plant package today:

And now to transform into collectoritis!
FTS:

3/4 view:

My camera sucks. It made everything all yellow, but I'll try again after a few days once the slight cloudiness has subsided.

I like it. I've always liked jungle tanks. I decided to organize it with a "crypt corner" then all the stems on the right. I don't know why but I like it that way. I think the kompakt is going to go though. Or at least find a different place.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

Tank looks great, the wood will look great once all of the plants grow in. What is the red plant in the middle? I knew I should have keep that wood it would have really looked good in my shrimp tank!! Just playin! Your tank looks great
post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabrey75 View Post
Tank looks great, the wood will look great once all of the plants grow in. What is the red plant in the middle? I knew I should have keep that wood it would have really looked good in my shrimp tank!! Just playin! Your tank looks great
Thanks The wood is awesome, it's got so many variations in color..it looks great. Thanks again for that!

And the plant...it's Rotala Macrandra 'Japan' and I doubt it'll stay that red for me so I'll probably be sending some your way if you like it!
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower

post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

whelp I nuked my BlackBerry so I'll probably be scarce for a bit until I get it fixed (trying to right now at Mom's house but it's not wanting to cooperate). I might be absent for a bit because I might just say 'screw it' and save a few weeks to upgrade to the BlackBerry Torch. Anyway, even though I might not be frequent, I still visit my mom's enough to occasionally get pics up and appreciate all comments/critiques, so keep them coming!
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Borrowing my boyfriend's phone to update.

I glued the small amount of fissidens fontanus I have to the DW last night in a few bunches in the "joints" of the wood. I like the look. When I got the fissidens I was like "oh, cute" but didn't really understand all the hype until I saw it glued on and bushing out. I really like it! I also attached a bit of flame moss on some of the tips of the wood hoping for a cool look when it starts to fill in. I ran out of super glue but my ferns and monster anubias nana willl go on tonight with updated pics to come tomorrow!
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to hear about your phone. The tank looks great. I'm looking forward to the new pics.

40b - three years old at this point

My Picotope- retired

The 50 Gallon Experiment- retired
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking heather.

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A few new pictures:

FTS:

Growth, YAY!

This is what it looks like with just the LED lights on. I wish it would grow that way because I think it looks dark and mysterious and neat:

Night lights:

A bit of fissidens on the wood:

An Otocinclus chilling:
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 AM
Algae Grower

i think your tank has really taken shape! i love the led lights too makes me wanna get something like that. keep up the good work.....

12g edge-planted
5g adf
150g s/ca cichlids
post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Algae Grower

The tank looks really nice. You have some really good growth in there. Reallt really well done tank.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Planted Member

How's the cube looking so far? Really curious what the stand looks like on the inside
post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkhiem View Post
How's the cube looking so far? Really curious what the stand looks like on the inside
Well, life took over...and by that I mean working two jobs (one fast food and one retail) while being without a car relying on rides, having to spend 12-18 hours a day away from home, etc...the tank fell into neglect and duckweed took over, killing off most of the high light plants. All my easy growers are still trucking though (crypts, vals, dwarf sag, mosses/fissidens and such) so the tank is very green right now. But I like it. I've realized I simply don't have the time for a high tech tank right now, but I can maintain a low-tech setup and still get the same enjoyment out of it (minus the red plants ) so that's what I'm moving towards. About a week ago I netted out all the duckweed (I've nicknamed this plant "suckweed" in my house) and arranged the powerheads and spraybar to allow for more surface agitation to curb it's growth while I eradicate it completely. It's working wonders and after trimming back the old overgrowth, I've got new growth from the plants. Even the seusswassertang is doing something haha.

Anyway, no pictures as it's hard to get to my mom's to borrow her computer, but I'll work on getting some up soon.

And as for the stand, it's nothing special. XP2 and dry ferts haha.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower

Hey Heather - Any update on your awesome tank?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode