Thatgmc's Mr. Aqua 12g Long "Smokey Oolong Mountain" - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

How long should i be running my lights during emersed grow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey man,

how many lbs of rock did you put in the tank????
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Run the lights as long as you want, I would say no more than 18 hours, though. 16 would be good- it gives the plants 8 hours to rest and breath out CO2/ take in O2.

post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great. Ill be leaving the lights on the majority of the day now.

I am having one problem though and i dont know if its because of my T5 lights. But, the leaves on the newly planted HC seems to be turning somewhat yellow. Does anyone know the reason for this? Its been like 3 days and some of the HC that i planted the first day have maybe 10% of the leaves turn yellow.
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgmc View Post
Damnn wht size is your tank though? I mean this is not the most expensive tank i have put together. I had a 50g custom SPS/LPS reef tank with euro reef skimmer, hamilton mh, and the works. But i think for a planted fw tank at 12g ive spent quite enough already haha.
It's a 55g that I had taking up space in the garage. I was also thinking about starting up a nano reef but I think a 240 gallon planted rainbow tank would burn a lot smaller hole in my pocket considering I live only a few hours from GlassCages.
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quick fts

Oops on the dirt smudge and cable in the back.

Last edited by thatgmc; 07-26-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Changed picture URL
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also, does anyone know why my HC's leaves are turning yellow like this?

Here are a couple more shots from 2 corners.

post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Algae Grower

This may help your lighting questions...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...5ho-light.html

With good reflectors, you want one T5HO bulb about 17-18 inches from the substrate in order to have medium high light. The light intensity will increase rapidly as you go towards the fixture (ie, as plants/substrate get taller).

You can see from the chart just how much light T5HO can put out. I used to run a similar fixture to yours at a height that gave me well above "high light" PAR, and at first things were okay. Eventually fate will catch up to you though... my aquarium turned into hair algae heaven. After reducing the lighting to one bulb and fiddling with the height, my algae problems went away again.

I grow plants underwater.
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoa101 View Post
This may help your lighting questions...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...5ho-light.html

With good reflectors, you want one T5HO bulb about 17-18 inches from the substrate in order to have medium high light. The light intensity will increase rapidly as you go towards the fixture (ie, as plants/substrate get taller).

You can see from the chart just how much light T5HO can put out. I used to run a similar fixture to yours at a height that gave me well above "high light" PAR, and at first things were okay. Eventually fate will catch up to you though... my aquarium turned into hair algae heaven. After reducing the lighting to one bulb and fiddling with the height, my algae problems went away again.

17-18" means that i will have a huge amount of light spill in the room. Not to mention it will look funny. I think I am going to switch out the current fixture for a regular t5NO eventually. For now, the light doesn't seem to be hurting the HC too much. Unless the leaf burn is from the high light...
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONARK View Post
Hey man,

how many lbs of rock did you put in the tank????
I put in about 12-14 pounds in this tank.
post #41 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

Isnt the yellowing a defeciency? I know in some dry start methods ferts diluted with water in a spray bottle are misted onto the plants to help aid in what is lacking.
post #42 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:03 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

In my experience, the yellowing is just the old immersed form leaves dying as the new, thicker and waxier leaves grow in that can handle being exposed to the air and won't wilt as easily.

I can almost guarantee that there are no deficiencies present due to the fresh AS.

post #43 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
In my experience, the yellowing is just the old immersed form leaves dying as the new, thicker and waxier leaves grow in that can handle being exposed to the air and won't wilt as easily.

I can almost guarantee that there are no deficiencies present due to the fresh AS.
Bah. Missed the aquasoil part. Such a great substrate.
post #44 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post

Well... oopsies on my part. Its about half ADA soil and half Mr. Aqua soil. Although I think there are nutrients in the Mr. Aqua Soil.. its definitely not as high in nutrients as ADA. Since its only been about a week or so i'll give it a little more time. I do see it rooting nicely.
post #45 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

just give it some time i did notice some yellowing upon planting and a day or 2 after the flood. if youre not too sure on the lighting just remove one bulb and only run the single bulb. This is what i did to my tank. I only added the second bulb about a week after the flood. But that was only due to noticing that the HC was growing stringy and growing vertical. you will be fine with that fixture you have unless you want to spend more money on another fixture. I say patience is the key so just give it some time and watch how the plants react then you start adjusting things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode