Thatgmc's Mr. Aqua 12g Long "Smokey Oolong Mountain" - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant View Post
im running 2 of the 39w for 7 hours and as of right now no algae issues just some that appear on the glass about mid week but by then a few days later ill do my weekly water change and cleaning. so it works out fine.
Sounds good. I think I will try that for the first month. Also, just wondering but does anyone know if only 1 bulb is running if that will affect the ballast in any way? Just in case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

fill it man!
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hey guys... finally received my bag of amazonia today so i filled this puppy up. This is my first iwagumi tank so be nice... any criticisms are welcome

So.. im probably going to need another bag of amazonia before i can start planting. The ends of the tank have barely half an inch at some places. I miscalculated the amount i needed and should've just bought a 9 liter bag If any of you guys are local to me in SOCAL and have extra amazonia they can spare, please let me know. I will pay you for your troubles
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

i think it would look better if you turned the second rock from the left the opposite direction and put the first from the left in front of the two middle rocks.

it may look different in person but it seems like the rocks kind of flow to the right, which would be fine if the arrangement wasnt in the center of the tank, but it feels unbalanced. im not great at aquascaping but i am an artist and it just doesnt "feel" right if you know what i mean.

just a suggestion feel free to ignore me
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Needs more front to back slope!

I'd go nuts on the slope, especially behind the larger stones.

http://www.aquajournal.net/na/iwagumi/index.html
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
i think it would look better if you turned the second rock from the left the opposite direction and put the first from the left in front of the two middle rocks.

it may look different in person but it seems like the rocks kind of flow to the right, which would be fine if the arrangement wasnt in the center of the tank, but it feels unbalanced. im not great at aquascaping but i am an artist and it just doesnt "feel" right if you know what i mean.

just a suggestion feel free to ignore me
The second rock from the left has a buncha grooves in it so there are only a few ways i can place it without it looking like an outkast. It kind of looks like slate on top of slate if ya know what i mean. But good suggestion, I moved stuff around again.

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Needs more front to back slope!

I'd go nuts on the slope, especially behind the larger stones.

http://www.aquajournal.net/na/iwagumi/index.html
Thanks for the link. I just ordered another bag of amazonia because i was a bit short on the ends of the tank. Ill buff up the mound when it comes I need to prop up the Oyaishi a bit. I kind of feel like my Soeishi is a little too big too. Haha!

BTW sorry for the crappy pictures. Im using my blackberry. My camera wont be back until later tonigt
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Finally added more substrate to the tank. I added MR. Aqua soil to it though. I couldn't wait for another bag of ADA to come in so i just went to an LFS near me to purchase a bag. I actually walked in looking for a new pair of metal tweezers. I left with a bag of soil and no tweezers haha. I also got a nice aluminum spray bottle from CVS. It was kinda pricey but i like the way it looks, kind of got that ADA metal look to it. I also got a small pot of HC from my LFS. The place is called A+ tropical fish if you guys are in the area. Great group of guys and they have some pretty good stuff that you would otherwise have to order online.

Im expecting a pack of HC from xmas_one soon too. Thanks again man!

Let me know what you guys think of the scape. Its still early so i can still move stuff around. One concern one of my friends had was that it looks a little too centered. I made the slope on the leftside a little more slanted but this picture is prior to that change. Im still waiting on the camera so i can take some better pictures. These are all from my bb tour. Thanks for looking!

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks great!

I have the same GLA version of the tank and still deciding on the light. I'll wait and see how your works out so I can decide. LOLOL

Did you decide on a filter yet?? I'll be getting an Eheim 2215, it will have more than enough flow for the tank and you can play with the quick disconnect taps to adjust the flow.
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONARK View Post
Looks great!

I have the same GLA version of the tank and still deciding on the light. I'll wait and see how your works out so I can decide. LOLOL

Did you decide on a filter yet?? I'll be getting an Eheim 2215, it will have more than enough flow for the tank and you can play with the quick disconnect taps to adjust the flow.
Hahah smart choice. I kind of went overkill on the lighting lol. But defiant's tank is running the same lights and says his stuff is doing fine. I was going to go cheap and buy the azoo mini canister. It looks like the Tom rapid's filter but everything is more solidly built. I've already spent more on this tank than i originally planned so i dont know if i want to shell out another $100 for a filter. Heres my price list so far:

Tank - $70
Light- $110
Mr. Aqua Soil + ADA soil - $55
Seiryu stones- $50
----------------------------
$285 no fish no co2 no filter... FML

Oh well. I have a buddy in HK right now. I asked him to look for fishtank gear while hes over there. Last time he came back with bomb stainless steel utensils and diffusers for cheap. Now i need to determine a good Co2 and fert regimen.
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgmc View Post
Hahah smart choice. I kind of went overkill on the lighting lol. But defiant's tank is running the same lights and says his stuff is doing fine. I was going to go cheap and buy the azoo mini canister. It looks like the Tom rapid's filter but everything is more solidly built. I've already spent more on this tank than i originally planned so i dont know if i want to shell out another $100 for a filter. Heres my price list so far:

Tank - $70
Light- $110
Seiryu stones- $50

Oh well. I have a buddy in HK right now. I asked him to look for fishtank gear while hes over there. Last time he came back with bomb stainless steel utensils and diffusers for cheap. Now i need to determine a good Co2 and fert regimen.
Defiant's tank looks amazing too but I would like to wait 4 or 6 months once the tank is very well established and see how it will be doing with that amount of light, remember that when we put the substrate we lose water volume plus it makes the plants 2"-3" closer to the light, I just hope that in 4 months his tank is not an algae soup so I can use his set up as a sample to built mine.

thatgmc, one always ends up spending more than you have but I would rather buy it right than buy it twice, if you get an Eheim 2215 you more flow and might not need to add pumps to add flow, plus this might looks bad in a clean and simple set up as an Iwagumi; you might be able to adjust flow, you'd be able to add more fish to the tank and you could even go up six months probably without cleaning up your filter; believe me if you get a small filter you will have to do more maintenance, this tank is really long and a small filter might not turn the water strong enough and if this is the case you will have to add a pump or change to a bigger filter which might add to spending way more than you would expect.

I have an Eheim 2213 in my Mini M, the tank is 5.5gal and the filter is for a 66gal tank, I have really good flow adjusted by the taps and I have like 8 CPD's, a LOTS of shrimp in there; I just clean it every seven months and no problems at all.
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgmc View Post

Tank - $70
Light- $110
Seiryu stones- $50

I have spent $850 more than I was planning and I don't have the tank I was planning on in the first place. On top of that I haven't even bought the plants yet I just have fillers that my LFS had in stock.
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
I have spent $850 more than I was planning and I don't have the tank I was planning on in the first place. On top of that I haven't even bought the plants yet I just have fillers that my LFS had in stock.
Damnn wht size is your tank though? I mean this is not the most expensive tank i have put together. I had a 50g custom SPS/LPS reef tank with euro reef skimmer, hamilton mh, and the works. But i think for a planted fw tank at 12g ive spent quite enough already haha.
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

Wow, another 12G long. I'm waiting to see how this one will turn out. This tank is perfect for iwagumi style.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

That's an excellent hardscape you have going on there, though the rock on the far right seems a bit awkward. Excellent job thus far

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode