Welcome to the Jungle: 55 gallon Rainbowfish haven & more. (New Pics! 03-20-13) - Page 16 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #226 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Great update the tank looks great, plants look very healthy as do the fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

nice tank man, I hope that my 75 looks that good when I am done adding plants and things to it. Out of curiosity, do you only have one angelfish in that tank or are there more hiding somewhere?
post #228 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Great update the tank looks great, plants look very healthy as do the fish
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
nice tank man, I hope that my 75 looks that good when I am done adding plants and things to it. Out of curiosity, do you only have one angelfish in that tank or are there more hiding somewhere?
Nope just that one. All of the other fish in the tank are pretty laid back/non-aggressive, which is great because I'm not dealing with world war 3 in my tank all of the time...but at the same time, I really do like aggressive fish. I had read that a single Angelfish can do well in a community tank, especially if raised from a small size with the other fish (which is what I did.) That has actually worked well for me, he doesn't bother the other fish unless he is really hungry, and even then he just darts at them a little bit. More cranky than aggressive, really.
post #229 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

ah, I see, I see
I am doing an aggressive (or at least ramboxious) community, and so far I'm getting okay growth on things, but getting smaller/weaker plants to stay in one place is difficult
stem plants are not my friend it seems lol
post #230 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Planted Member

WOW!

Looks great, and that angel is awesome!

Bolivian Rams make everything better.

75 gallon Bolivian Ram tank Journal
post #231 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

As of today, my tank is 2 years old!

This time I was able to stick to my plan (as I wasn't able to do a day 1/year one comparison last year,) and do a before and after pic comparison. So, here it is.

Day 1:

Day 730:

From the beginning I set out to see what sort of results I could get from a setup that was both more budget-friendly and lower maintenance: aka, low tech. This is also my second planted tank...my first one (a 5g nano) was a disaster of noobieness, so I wanted to be sure to get this one right. As it was when I started it I went over budget, and I already knew that I basically have hobby ADD (I get extremely interested in something for a month, or few months at a time, and then lose interest for a while,) so if I had to get in there and trim and fiddle all of the time, I was doomed to disaster. It may not have the same stunning colors and vast plant selection that the incredible high tech tanks have on here, but I am still pretty happy with the results

For those who are interested, and who haven't been following me from the beginning, here are the schedules of my tank:

Lighting:

1 56w 48" T5 6500k strip, set for a 6 hour "middday" burst
1 30w 36" T8 6500k strip, set for a 10 hour total photoperiod

Ferts:

Excel daily
Pfertz "N" on Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Flourish and Flourish Phosporous on Tuesday/Thursday
Root tabs every 4-6 months

(I was recently given a ton of GLA dry ferts so I will be trying them in the future.)

Water Changes:

25% weekly (which doesn't happen very often,) or ~40% bi-weekly (much more often, and if I'm being honest, sometimes its every 3 weeks.)

Short, simple, and easy. When I do my water changes is when I scrub algae, remove dead leaves, and trim/replant.

-------

As for an actual update on what is going on in there since last week's post...a bit more growth than usual (I've been better about my ferts compared to last month's neglect!) and my 3 new Boesemanis are doing great! They've already colored up VERY nicely, and considering how colorful they are now vs. their size (not even 2 inches yet,) I think they are going to be absolutely stunning as they grow. I am very happy Not much else to say for now...just a stable, laid back tank that I love to watch.

Thanks for looking!
post #232 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That tank has come a long way. Good job man. And that Java Fern is huge.

The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #233 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you, I'm very pleased with how the tank has grown out these past two years. I'm pretty proud of it. You're definitely right that it's come a long way from the start of unhappy mail ordered plants shipped in the heat, to a jungle full of fish!
post #234 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

NIce and green.............. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh...
Good job with the scape.

**** Green ****

Green's Resurrection Aquarium Gallery
post #235 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Wonderful progression, congrats on a successful plan
post #236 of 255 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Happy birthday to your tank! I just caught up with your two updates and am kicking myself for missing the first one. Your angel is getting even more handsome as it ages. It's one of the better looking angel's I've seen. Cool find on the Boesemani Rainbows! I am glad to hear they are a great dither fish for your other rainbows.

That new plant looks like a lot like Ludwigia repens x arcuata. It's a great plant. I used to have it in my 55 for a long time. Had to get rid of it as it became a weed. Also, that is an amazing transformation in your tank since start up. And I am totally feeling you on the boring part. I do sometimes think it was more fun to be messing around the tank more. But it is so stable right now that it's worth it for me. Also, I set up a small 15 gallon to be more techy in.

I also really like the idea of the 37 gallon with tiger barbs. I had those and black skirt tetras for years and really enjoyed their company. I used to have a tank that size and it was one of my favorites. I gave it away to a friend when I had to move and a small part of me wishes I kept it even though there was no place to put it. I think you'll like it's dimensions.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #237 of 255 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm back! It's only been...oh, around 8 months since my last update What can I say, life intrudes...but mostly in good ways.

The tank has been doing well since then. It's gone through a few more cycles of neglect and re-growth. What can I say, I'm a bit A.D.D. when it comes to hobbies. Thankfully, with all the plants and its low-tech-ness, the tank is wonderfully stable, so it can and has put up through some phases of lesser attention (the fish always get fed, though!) Right now it's in a re-growth phase as I have been more vigilant with ferts and cleaning. Compared to my last pic, there has definitely been growth...but one would expect that after 8 months, even in the slowest growing low tech tank

I recently made a couple of somewhat experimental additions to the tank. I've wanted shrimp for a while, and I had that one oddball ghost shrimp that survived nearly a year in it somehow, so I decided to add 5 fairly full-grown Amanos. So far, so good, although they do spend most of their time hiding, particularly in the Java Fern forest side of the tank. They come out after water changes, and a few brave souls have taken to darting out when I feed to snatch some sinking wafers. The other addition is a dwarf puffer. To anyone who has read my journal, you should know that I've had a large population of some sort of weird mini-MTS in my tank for some time now. A friend of mine who is a puffer fan suggested that I try adding a dwarf puffer to my tank, and after some hemming and hawing, I decided to go for it. Again, so far so good...it spent most of a week hiding (it's MUCH smaller than the other fish in the tank, some of which thought it was food at first,) but now it's out and about during the day and ignored by everyone else in the tank. It's definitely grown in size already, and every time I see it has a nice round belly, so it must be gorging on snails (good!) I know this can be an aggressive fish, but the majority of the tank is semi-aggressive anyways, so I'm hoping for the best long-term. In the worst case, I will set up a nano for it if it becomes too much of a bastard.

My Bosemani rainbows that I added last summer have come into their own, all three are males and have colored up wonderfully. They spend pretty much all day flaring at and chasing each other. All 6 of my Goyder River rainbows are still doing well. My Angelfish is pretty much full grown. The Cardinals are among the biggest and happiest looking examples of their species I've seen. And the Cories are always breeding (and getting their eggs eaten )

Still no new tanks...I almost bit when Petsmart had a bunch of tanks on sale recently, but I've had other expenses. I still have that 37g in my basement. I'm about 50/50 on what I want to do with it, either that tiger barb species tank I've talked about before, or an Anole vivarium. Maybe one of those will happen this year, lol.

Anyways, here are a couple of photos that I took last week. I'll have to get some more soon.

FTS (the big hygro in the center that was so prominent in my last photos months ago is still there, it's just been cut down recently since it was at the surface. Look at how big the Anubias and Java Fern are now!):

The King/Queen/Bee-otch of the tank (no clue on the gender, but this fish can be downright cranky when hungry...but still passive otherwise):

post #238 of 255 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Reading back over my last set of posts, I'm reminded of a near-disaster that I experienced with my tank last summer (not long after my last update.) I was reminded because I had mentioned adding some sort of red ludwigia stem last time. Well, that died...the reason being my area got hit with a titanic thunderstorm last summer and my power was out for nearly a week. During the worst heat wave of the summer, 100+ every day. Keeping my tank alive through that was almost a miracle. When I realized that the power wasn't coming on anytime soon, I resorted to making large (50+%) water changes, 3 times a day to stay ahead of the ammonia and stagnation. Thankfully, my efforts paid off, as I didn't lose a single fish. That red plant, not surprisingly, did die though, and there was a lot of leaf shedding afterwards and re-growth that needed to happen. I hope I never have to deal with that sort of ordeal with my tank again...but it does make its current state look all the better
post #239 of 255 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank truly looks great. I have always liked the jungle look as it looks more natural. I remember that heat wave. My tanks were so hot I am lucky nothing died. Literally when that happened I was at the beach and as soon as I got home the power came on. Glad here that the tank is doing well.
post #240 of 255 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW!!!

Your tank looks FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

I LOVE everything about it! Your Fish and Plant choices are spot on with what way I believe I want to take my 55g!

What Bulbs are you running? I have 2-48"T5HOs over my 55g now, but I am thinking of stepping down to 1 and using a smaller bulb like you do! I am needing to get bulbs pretty soon anyway, so it would make it easier just to by 1 T5HO!!

I read through most of the journal, but my back is killing me, so I will finish it tomorrow! OH and I totally understand about the A.D.D. with hobbies!!! I have a few tanks setup right now, but I also Fish, Hunt,Reload Ammo, Woodworking, Car Audio and Electronics, and a few other things as well! So I feel your pain when it comes to other things getting in the way!

Anyway keep up the good work on the tank!
drew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode