ADA 90-P 'Forest Edge' - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

4x39W will be more than enough spread, even when placed on the tank like you have it. I have the GLA version of the 90P and a 4x39W T5HO as well. I do have it raised, but that's because I needed to reduce the light intensity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
4x39W will be more than enough spread, even when placed on the tank like you have it. I have the GLA version of the 90P and a 4x39W T5HO as well. I do have it raised, but that's because I needed to reduce the light intensity.
That's good to hear and thanks for responding. So would you recommend that I build a conduit hanger anyway to lower the intensity of the light?
post #18 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Algae Grower

It is always useful to have the light hung. It gives you more options down the road to adjust the intensity in accordance with plant growth rates and denisity.
post #19 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got it thanks, september's discretionary spending will go towards some driftwood for the harscape and a conduit light hanger.
post #20 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's a new draft of what I'm going for with the "Forest's Edge" concept. I don't know if it's clear or not but what do you guys think? Any obvious design flaws?

I'm trying to bring the "edge" of the forest further along towards the back left of the tank so that it's not so segmented (or cut in half). I want the rock in front along with a red plant in the back to be the focal point thus obeying the 2.168 rule which would be about 13.74" according to my 36" long tank. I am planning on using "ADA Black River Stone" for my rock and getting driftwood that "leans" over the stream I'm creating with ADA Orinoco sand. Any feedback appreciated.

I also plan on using various moss and crypts to give it that "Old Forest" look.
post #21 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 06:12 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Any updates on this one? I am really hoping you are still planning on this tank, I am excited by your drawing.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #22 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow, it has been a while since my last post. It's encouraging to see that there's been some interest in this scape. The good news is that there has been some significant progress made piecing this together. I have purchased my driftwood and rock and man let me tell you, when I have enough time I'm going to properly thank Rod or "dsdrifter" for his generosity and class. All my driftwood and rock came from him so if you like what you see, check him out @ thedriftwoodstore.com. Anyway, I'm still sticking to my forest edge concept with possible some minor tweaks. I've got a friend coming over tomorrow and we are going to put down the aquasoil and play around with the hardscape and try to get perfect. Since the purpose behind this is to compete, I may still wait on filling with water until I get exactly what I want with the scape. But without further ado, the pics:

Here's some shots of the driftwood in the tank. A black vinyl has been applied and I have built a light stand out of plumbing pipe.

the rocks...

I'll be posting pics over the weekend and in the ensuing weeks as I get the plants. Please be ready to give feedback on our hardscapes!!! Pics will be coming soon!!
post #23 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Algae Grower

I am going to following this. Initial setup looks good!

your signature
post #24 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

That big piece of wood on the right is awesome, but it's going to make planting very difficult.
post #25 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

HURRY UP!

Heh Just kidding. Great work with keeping a log of your progress and it's great that you are taking your time reading/learning and acquiring equipment. I started reading about making my own T5 HO light hood and had the CC out ready to buy 3x ballasts each able to drive 2x T5 54w 48" lights which I think would be overkill for my cheesy tank that doesn't use CO2. I just want to build things haha! I'll be keeping an eye on your nice setup.
post #26 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, so we hit a snag. We decided to go with the smooth darker rock and we only had three pieces we really liked. So...for now this is what we got. We'll hopefully get some more rock from dsdrifter soon. Thanks for the feedback...keep it coming!

With one bag of ADA aquasoil and some hardscape, we'll probably be sticking with the wood the way it is just because i'm committed to the "Forest Edge" concept. What I really need help with are the stone placements, so, please fire away on the comments.

Quote:
I am going to following this. Initial setup looks good!
Thanks for subscribing! Feedback welcome!

Quote:
That big piece of wood on the right is awesome, but it's going to make planting very difficult.
Thanks I like it too. I don't understand why it would make planting difficult but maybe you can enlighten me. I've put in an angled photo so that may give you a better angle of that big awesome piece.
post #27 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Sick set up you got started there! I'm not sure if you were wanting to put moss on the wood or not, but I usually find it easier to do before placement of the wood- especially on really branchy pieces.
Maybe some needle-leaf would look good back there?

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #28 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks great. Can't wait to see more pictures.

So much to learn!
Going big on something so small
EBI Journal;

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...00#post2001600
Hurricane Irene left my house with no power and led to the death of this tank. R.I.P. Piranhas.
55g Hello Rockview (Paradise Piranha)
post #29 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

great progress! i really like the wood pieces. subscribed!
post #30 of 167 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would place the rocks more on the left to help balance the strong right.following along

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode