ADA 90-P 'Forest Edge' - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah there's no way I could increase the CO2 since I think it's at 15bps currently and already wasteful. I did just a couple days ago raise my lights up about 4" and lower my photo period by two hours to seven hours total. We'll see how that works. Unless you think that is still too much light.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you plant the glosso deep so the leaves are just barely sticking out of the substrate you might notice more spreading than bushing. At least that's what I had to do to mine to get it to spread, you could try it with a few to test and see if it will on yours. The light period you set now sounds fine for now while the tank fills in, maybe add some more stem plants to help soak up nutrients or at least be sure to replant any rotala trimmings if you can.

Canon Pimp Club #032
post #153 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Add some temporary floating plants

Shades a but and soaks up about everything. I have them in all my tanks for that reason

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #154 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:42 PM
kat
Algae Grower

this is a great thread. the progression is so much fun to watch. i know you are having algae problems but from the algae i can see in your most recent picture it made the aquarium look so much more natural then the previous picture.

subscribed
post #155 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
If you plant the glosso deep so the leaves are just barely sticking out of the substrate you might notice more spreading than bushing. At least that's what I had to do to mine to get it to spread, you could try it with a few to test and see if it will on yours. The light period you set now sounds fine for now while the tank fills in, maybe add some more stem plants to help soak up nutrients or at least be sure to replant any rotala trimmings if you can.
Hey Rion, thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm definitely pushing the glosso down and trimming it everytime is starts bushing. If you have any other tips on the glosso that would be appreciated but I've learned that it's just about being patient. Also I will definitely be planting my stem cuttings. How tall do you let your rotala stems get before you cut them? I'm letting them get almost to the top.

Also, do you think my adjustments on the lighting will be enough to make the algae go away as is or should I add a lot of floaters as problemman suggested? 4 x 39 watts suspended about 10" and on for 7 hours.

Quote:
Add some temporary floating plants

Shades a but and soaks up about everything. I have them in all my tanks for that reason
I this the competition argument that plants eventually out compete the algae for nutrients? Any plant suggestions or just any floater will do. I heard wisteria is a good one for this purpose.

Quote:
this is a great thread. the progression is so much fun to watch. i know you are having algae problems but from the algae i can see in your most recent picture it made the aquarium look so much more natural then the previous picture.

subscribed
Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad your enjoying the thread.
post #156 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have shorter tanks but I generally cut them when they hit the top as well, unless you're noticing a lot of die back on the lower sections then maybe trim sooner.

With the lights you might still get some algae with the hours you have set but you have to balance it out with how much your plants are getting. The more the plants grow the less algae you tend to get. It's really hard to say what you specifically need as light can be affected by many things so what works for one person might not work for another. If you still notice more algae maybe try floating plants and see if the extra shade helps but you don't want to "over shade" the plants below because things like glosso can sometimes be finicky about the light they receive. Really I guess what I'm saying is it's going to take some experimenting and seeing what works

Canon Pimp Club #032
post #157 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I have shorter tanks but I generally cut them when they hit the top as well, unless you're noticing a lot of die back on the lower sections then maybe trim sooner.

With the lights you might still get some algae with the hours you have set but you have to balance it out with how much your plants are getting. The more the plants grow the less algae you tend to get. It's really hard to say what you specifically need as light can be affected by many things so what works for one person might not work for another. If you still notice more algae maybe try floating plants and see if the extra shade helps but you don't want to "over shade" the plants below because things like glosso can sometimes be finicky about the light they receive. Really I guess what I'm saying is it's going to take some experimenting and seeing what works
Yup, I agree. We'll see how these new measures work and go from there. Thanks for the help.
post #158 of 167 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Algae Grower

This is looking good. I can't wait to see it grown in more.
post #159 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just found this journal through your link. Great tank. Love the wood. Any updates?

farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa
20gal Tall
post #160 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Algae Grower

Wow, wow , wow
post #161 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love the way your tank progresses. Would love to see the update on it... awesome stuff
post #162 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Dan, update please. Pins and needles here waiting to see how this has turned out.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal 55L Journal- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #163 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey guys...sorry about the lack of updates...I was out of the country for a while this summer and the guy taking care of my tank, well, let's just say, struggled with it. It's been in the ICU for a while since I've been back and I'm beginning to turn things around but it's not pretty. I'll post a pic tomorrow since I know how much I appreciate well updated journals...(unlike mine).
post #164 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Shrimpsanity

Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
As the owner of a 90p do you have any regrets? Do you ever wish for the longer length of a 120p? I'm trying to decide if my next tank will be 75, 90, or 120 P.
post #165 of 167 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

honestly, I couldn't be happier with my 90p. I however am limited in space but truthfully, the longer the tank, the harder to scape IMO. I think the 90p is a good marriage between size and "scapability". I do look forward to owning a larger tank someday but with my budget and living space this tank is perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode