120 Gal - Dutchy Freestyle - The Planted Tank Forum
 286Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

120 Gal - Dutchy Freestyle

So this is a journal for my new 120, which replaces my long running 75 gallon. For anyone who followed the previous tank, this one will be basically the same style with just a bigger footprint.

It's going to have many aspects of a traditional Dutch, but probably never meet all the criteria. The main thing being no planted back and sides. Also collectoritis will most likely mean too many species to ever be a true Dutch.

But Im not worried about all that. The goal is to have fun and do what I like. Which is put colors and contrasts together, play with trimming/pruning techniques, learn more about the horticulture side of things

Hence the name - Dutchy Freestyle.

First planting, about 2 months ago.

Tank

48" x 24" x 24" Marineland 120 gal

CO2

GLA Grow 1 regulator, 10 lb tank.

DIY PVC reactor. Main pipe is 3" x 24"

CO2 cuts on 90 min before the lights, goes off 1 hour before. PH drops 1.1 by lights on, proceeds on down 1.3-1.4 at peak. Livestock are fine at this level, heavy flow and good surface agitation helps.

Filtration

Two canisters: 1 Aquatop CF 500, and 1 Hydor Pro 600

Measured flow combined is about 600 gph.

1 Koralia Nano 425 for added circulation

Both canisters have SunSun intakes with the skimmer

Left corner is the the Aquatop. Using a 1" outflow pipe to reduce velocity (the in-tank flow is crazy!)

Right corner is the Hydor. The CO2 runs inline with this one.

^also you can see my LED night lights, mounted on each end of the main fixture.

Substrate:

Black Diamond blasting sand

Lighting

6 bulb T5HO hydroponic unit

https://www.amazon.com/Agrobrite-Des.../dp/B002TJQ61W

Bulbs are front to back:

TrueLumen Flora
Agrobrite 6400K
Zoo-med Flora
Plantmax 3000K
ATI Purple
TrueLumen Flora

Fixture is 9" above the tank, PAR at the sub is around 120. Having lots of red bulbs help keep it down, not to mention awesome color rendition. PAR would be a lot higher at this distance with more 6500Ks, for example

Ferts/Philosophy

Macros 3x week
6 ppm KNO3
.5-1 ppm K2PO4
3 ppm K2SO4 (for 6-7 total K)

Micros 3x week
.01 Fe from csmb
.02 ppm Fe dtpa

.2 ppm urea daily

60%-70% water change every 6-7 days

The basic philosophy is high macros, low micros, nosebleed CO2, uber clean conditions and maintaining a stable biomass

* Note on Micros: The above dosage is just what Im doing currently, and is subject to change a little one way or the other. The general sweet spot for me seems to be around .01 -.02 ppm csm-b (calculated for Fe) and another .015-.04 ppm of an additional Fe source(s) - 3x a week.

Folks with inert substrates such as mine <apparently> seem to be able to get by with a lot less micros than others with high CEC. For anyone with a high CEC substrate like ADA Aquasoil, Eco-complete, potting soil based, safe-T-sorb, etc - these levels most likely will not be enough.

Livestock

25 Harlequin Rasboras, will soon get this up to maybe 30 or so
6-7 otos
Trio of young German Blue Rams, just coming into their adult colors
10-12 Amano shrimp

Here's the latest rendition. Plant groups are no way shaped for height or footprints. Mainly just tentative placeholders of where things are going to be. Have lots of ideas to try, and open to any suggestions!

Detailed plant pics to follow....
Lancz, Daniil, Williak and 14 others like this.

Last edited by burr740; 04-18-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: /
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Left side

Right side

Rotala Sunset. Currently in a rebuilding phase. This is 3 main stems, tallest one is about 16". Probably next WC will cut them apart and make a nice group

Staurogyne 'purple' on the right, Pogosteman erectus in back

Ammania sp bonsai. Will expand this group pretty soon, have a lot more growing out in the 50

AR mini 'variegated', Downoi, Lagenandra meeeboldi 'red round', Erio vietnam, Proserpinaca palustris (mermaid weed)

Left to right: Isoetes lacustris, Rotala macaranda 'variegated', Oldenlandia salzmannii, Acmella repens

Trying to figure out a way to snake the Ludwigia red more front to back, and keep it low. Right now is just a sideways cluster.

Willow moss sp gigantea on the smaller log, Pogosteman kimberly in back middle, Floscopa scandens to the left

Changed the original Buces on the log. The other ones were smaller leaved greens and they werent doing so well. May need more traces, idk. Reason I liked them is because they bloomed profusely in the 75. Digging the red stems on these though, and the leaves I think are a better contrast. Gonna give them a month or two and see how it goes

FTS

Other thoughts: Reduce the Staurogyne repens and shape it up differently. Currently just a big oval with no personality. Same goes for the Monte carlo in front of the log.

Bring the Stauro purple on down to the left in a bigger group

Last edited by burr740; 01-15-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: /
post #3 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yes!!!!!! Been waiting for this and it does not dissapoint. Tanks looks awesome, even if you say this is just the plants tentative placement. I'm hyped if you can't tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fablau, burr740 and Maclyri like this.

post #4 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Planted Member

The colors of your plants never ceases to amaze me

How high did you hang your lights and how high is the substrate in your tank btw? Are you still getting over 100 par at the substrate?
post #5 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You have a beautiful tank as always. Thanks for the details of the setup, what plant is what, and what your plans are.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
post #6 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey burr did you place osmocote root tabs under the substrate? I'm assuming you did.

I Seek The White Whale!
post #7 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It is beautiful. Totally not my thing at all though. The colors are crazy impressive. How do you like the 120? I've always debated getting one because I had a 4' section of wall to work with. But I've also been told, extensively, that a 6' tank is where it is at.
post #8 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Algae Grower

Gorgeous tank as always! When I look at your tank journals I'm often tempted to transition a low tech tank to hi tech and run CO2, but then I remember I'm lazy and I don't want to trim stems. So I'll just enjoy your pictures instead of my own Dutch tank.
post #9 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice tank. The colors are amazing.
post #10 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well Burr740, looks like you have proven that you CAN'T get too much of a good thing.

Beautiful transition to the 120G. Looking forward to many more updates. I know you've got plans, but I find it hard to see how it gets much better than this. Bravo!!
hani and John Warren like this.
post #11 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
The colors of your plants never ceases to amaze me

How high did you hang your lights and how high is the substrate in your tank btw? Are you still getting over 100 par at the substrate?
Yeah I forgot to add this in the OP. It's 9" above the tank. PAR at the sub is about 120. It would be a lot higher if not for all the red bulbs.

I made a bracket out of 1x8s, painted them black. It just sits on the tank. The width worked out just right, easy to slide back and forth.

Not the sexiest thing in the world, but it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquik View Post
Hey burr did you place osmocote root tabs under the substrate? I'm assuming you did.
Not this time, but Ive added a few to certain things.

The Lagenandra has about 6 individual balls. It did better in the 75 when I gave it some. The AR mini has a couple balls under each plant. Again this is individual balls, not "tabs" full

Probably stick a few under the stauro purple when it's location is finalized.
rrebello likes this.

Last edited by burr740; 01-10-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: .
post #12 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
It is beautiful. Totally not my thing at all though. The colors are crazy impressive. How do you like the 120? I've always debated getting one because I had a 4' section of wall to work with. But I've also been told, extensively, that a 6' tank is where it is at.
Thanks.

4' is all the space I have too, or I would definitely have gone with a 5-6 footer.

Im loving these dimensions honestly, coming from a standard 75. The 24" depth front to back is really nice. The height is more than necessary but Im using it to advantage. The empty space up top makes it easy to blast flow without disrupting things too much.

Like if you stir a pot of soup from the top, the bottom starts swirling as well.
post #13 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Burr this tank is absolutely stunning!!! I'm at a loss for words

Dan
post #14 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Beautiful tank and fantastic work! Thanks for posting those and killing off any self-esteem I had remaining . What are those clear, suction-cup looking things on the Buces?
post #15 of 227 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What substrate are you using?

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode