Filtration: Finnex px360 canister
Heater: 50w
CO2: Custom build. Paintball tank, beer keg regulator, solenoid,
Soil: AS Amazonia
Hardscape: Seiryu stone, spider wood
Fertilization: Going to do EI
Flora:TBD need suggestions
Fauna: Thinking of CPD's or green tetras & Amano shrimp

Hello everyone. I am starting a new build and this is my first attempt at a high tech planted tank and the first time I have devoted any real energy into doing a beautiful aquascape. I keep large cichlids so they generally do most of the decorating themselves.

Here is what I have worked up so far. I want to go with a central group of rocks with roots seeming to have grown into the landscape over time. I am going to tie mosses to the branches along with some epiphytes. I want to do a carpet foreground which will likely be monte carlo but I need some suggestions for background plants and some midground plants along the sides of the rock formation to make things flow nicely. I am very open to suggestions on the hardscape and plant choices. Thanks for looking!

Here is a shot from above to see what I'm working with for areas to plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:36 AM
Algae Grower

You've fit that wood into the rockwork pretty perfectly.

Traditional scaping would suggest that hairgrass be in the back. I think it would be pretty interesting to use Rotala macranda or Alternanthera reineckii, but the leaves might be a bit too large for it to work. Same with using Staurogyne repens in the fore or midground. Perhaps Blyxa japonica and Rotala rotunifolia or walichii would be better.

Do you know what kinds of mosses and epiphytes you're looking at?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Played around with paint a bit to do some planning. I think if I'm going to have a red plant it may do best in the top right to draw attention to that area instead of the direct center. Maybe I should go with ludwigia rubin in the back right and a less red rotala behind the rocks. I do like the idea of blyxa in the back left so that might be a winner. I'll have to play with this more at a later time.

I need to figure out what would go in between the monte carlo in the front right under the moss branch and before the background plant that will end up there. Something a little transitional to avoid going from carpet right to tall stem plant.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaan View Post
You've fit that wood into the rockwork pretty perfectly.

Traditional scaping would suggest that hairgrass be in the back. I think it would be pretty interesting to use Rotala macranda or Alternanthera reineckii, but the leaves might be a bit too large for it to work. Same with using Staurogyne repens in the fore or midground. Perhaps Blyxa japonica and Rotala rotunifolia or walichii would be better.

Do you know what kinds of mosses and epiphytes you're looking at?
In the picture above I cropped in some bolbitis "mini" to cover the cut off stump area of the wood. Other epiphytes might include anubias nana and the odd buce.

I think blyxa or some other grassy plant in the back left for sure and I think rotala of some variety in the center would make a smart choice to a third background plant ending up in the right. I absolutely love red plants but I don't want to overpower the scape so I think using them wisely would be key if I end up including any. For mosses I think christmas moss and flame moss will make an appearance and monte carlo is my most likely candidate for the foreground/carpet at this time. It's easy and looks nice so I'm thinking it's a good way to go here.

*edit I measured the rocks in the back and they're between 4-4.5" above the substrate level so plants peaking our around 6-7" are probably what I want for the right effect. I am a newb at this so I'm going to have to research sizes carefully as opposed to how things look in pictures so scale doesn't get messed up. Substrate depth at the back is around 3" currently and with a 12.5" tank I think I want to try and have the tips of the background plants about 2/3 the way up if I am thinking about it correctly. It would be ideal to have plants that end up in that ballpark naturally so that trimming would be for propagation and plant health as opposed to constantly fighting plants that naturally want to grow much taller just for effect. I understand that trimming can train plants to be shorter but I am assuming that this comes with limitations as in a plant which naturally grows to 20" wont be easily tamable down to the height I want.

Last edited by GreenTerror; 01-03-2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Epiphany

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 AM
Algae Grower

Likin the looks. You need some thin leafed stem like Rotala HRA in the back right IMO. I would also add some anubias around rocks to provide seamless transition from neat carpet to rockwork.

Shane P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode