• 2 Post By Jeff5614
  • 2 Post By Jeff5614
  • 1 Post By torque6
  • 1 Post By torque6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

3FT Low maintenance, low light, co2 tank

Just finished setting up the tank earlier this week.

Thank you guys for helping me to start this journal. I greatly appreciate it!

For this tank, I intend to keep Cardinal Tetra in this tank so I scape the tank with only drift woods, making sure there were lots of cover for the timid fishes.

As this is a low maintenance tank, I chose java ferns, narrow java and trident ferns. So no stem plants, no foreground plants that require frequent trimming.

Tank specs: ADA 90-P, 90cm x 45cm x 45cm, 185L approx; 49Gallon
Substrate : GEX Best Bio Soil 6 litres
Filtration : Eheim 2215/ 350
Plants : Java, Narrow, Trident ferns and Anubias Nana Petite
Lighting : Finnex Stingray 20w (40) 7000k + (8) Actinic Blue LEDs + (8) 660nm Red LEDs
co2 system: Aluminium 2L Ista cylinder with ANS co2 regulator with solenoid
Photo period : 6 hours

Some pics to share.

Day 1

The lights from Finnex is very nice. The transformer runs very hot but the LED is warm to touch, still much cooler than your PL light. The purplish cast on the nana petite looks good.

The initial plan was to use ADA Aquasoil, but seeing that it leeches ammonia frequently, I decided to go for an inert sand. GEX Best Bio Sand is a type of volcanic ash. Best of all, you don't need to wash it and it's grandular. The black color soil was very nice too. Many thanks to Paul from Rein biotech (in Singapore) for recommending Frosty Haven (online shop) so I can get free shipping and delivery. Thumbs up.

I am using the Do!Aqua Inflow (VV-2 13mm) from ADA, hope the large oval shaped inlet should help with better flow.

That's all my sharing for now. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This looks great! Cant believe that is a day 1 picture! Looking forward to future updates!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

wow if day one looks that good, Im questioning how day 92 will look!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
This looks great! Cant believe that is a day 1 picture! Looking forward to future updates!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
wow if day one looks that good, Im questioning how day 92 will look!
Thank you for your compliments.
BettaBettas likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Heavily planted from day one. The way to go.
torque6 and BettaBettas like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Heavily planted from day one. The way to go.
if you plant thick on day 1, does that increase plant growth or something? I always thought it was a good idea to plant heavy but then I thought well if one plant grows faster then the other, it will kill the slower growing plant... idk lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
if you plant thick on day 1, does that increase plant growth or something? I always thought it was a good idea to plant heavy but then I thought well if one plant grows faster then the other, it will kill the slower growing plant... idk lol
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is just adding a handful of plants to a new set up. A large plant mass is going to give you a more stable tank from the start. It also is more aesthetically pleasing and you don't have to wait so long for it to fill in.
torque6 and BettaBettas like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is just adding a handful of plants to a new set up. A large plant mass is going to give you a more stable tank from the start. It also is more aesthetically pleasing and you don't have to wait so long for it to fill in.
See my "strategy" for my 5 gallon (long) was to put, a handful of plants in there, then over time propagate those plants. I mean it worked lol but I guess thick planting is another method
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 05:31 AM
Algae Grower

I love this tank! I'm trying to build a similar scape, except Java Fern won't be across the entire tank. Awesome build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I wasn't planning for increase growth or anything, seeing this is a low maintenance tank, I am assuming a rescape or a trim 1 year down the road from setup. Java ferns are quite slow growers, so instead of waiting for it to grow, I just went ahead and plant heavy and let it run it's course. More plants will also give my Cardinal Tetra sufficient cover and hiding place.

Quote:
This was coming from plantbrain some years back when i first started my 1ft cube. I agree that a large plant mass will give a stable tank from the start.

[QUOTE=freshwater1;9778114]I love this tank! I'm trying to build a similar scape, except Java Fern won't be across the entire tank. Awesome build

Thanks!
BettaBettas likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

Wonderful aquascape. I gotta ask, how many Java Ferns did it take? Are they all tied to the driftwood?

Brian Rodgers
Aquarium Size: 50 gallon, Aquarium Type: Glass, Fluval 306 canister filter. Beamswork LED 48 inch.
Fish: Dwarf Gourami, Black Skirt Tetras, Otos, lonely Silver Dollar, Plants Jungle Vallisneria, Ludwigia Repens, LUFFY Philippines Java Fern. Ludwigia Peruensis and Cryptocoryne Wendtii added 1-10-2017
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How's the flow from the 2215? I have a 44 and I am debating a 2215 or 2217. I will have an inline diffuser on it either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rodgers View Post
Wonderful aquascape. I gotta ask, how many Java Ferns did it take? Are they all tied to the driftwood?
All java ferns were tied to driftwood. Total number of pots is around 80. 1 pot is around 20 leaves. Took me 19 hours just sitting at the kitchen sink cleaning them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
How's the flow from the 2215? I have a 44 and I am debating a 2215 or 2217. I will have an inline diffuser on it either way. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was also contemplating on the 2217, but since I was using the Nano Hydor, I figured a 2215 would be sufficient. The water current goes in a circular motion in the tank.

Thank you both for your comments.
Brian Rodgers likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode