The Planted Tank Forum banner

bitFUUL's 3g High Tech Toilet Tank - (UPDATE - Iwagumi HC with PICS!)

13K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  monkeyruler90 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had ups and downs with this tank, but we're still going.

Original Post from 2010:
Last week I spotted a good deal on a Mr. Aqua 3 gallon bow-back tank and an eheim HOB filter.
Decided that I didn't have enough tanks in the house, and now my guest bathroom needed one.

Tank: Mr. Aqua 3 Gallon Bow Front Aquarium
Filter: Eheim Liberty 100 HOB with sponge intake
Lighting: 27 Watt 6500K hampton bay light
Substrate: Seachem Black Onyx Sand
Plants: Riccia and HC
CO2: DIY

June 2010

July 2010

December 2010

April 2012

Nov 2012

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm thinking 2 different ways.. 1 uses the plants to sort of blend with the background. Some light greens making people really look at the tank. The other uses light greens with a couple reds that stand out amongst the background...oh ya, and some rcs would be pretty cool in there as well.

#6 ·
I have that tank too! But anyway, I'd be worried about a white substrate getting dirty. But that's because I'm pretty lazy and wouldn't feel like cleaning it from time to time. I think a black substrate could look nice with the contrast against the white it's on. I also agree that a green plant for background would look nice against the wall. Maybe a darker green, though, is what I'd say. I'm partial to dwarf hairgrass, myself. HC is always nice in a nano.

But I'm just rambling. Good luck to you.

#7 · (Edited)
After a few days of this thing sitting empty, I have come up with a few ideas. Going to run with the black onyx sand from my other tank. Also have some riccia, HC, and Glosso coming in the mail any day. Also, I like the ideas of finding a color combo in the BG to mess with the green paint in the back... Will see what I can come up with..

#11 · (Edited)
That's interesting how you did the sponge in the Eheim HOB 100 filter!

I did something similar, but put a very coarse "pre-filter" bit of sponge inside the strainer part of the intake tube (to keep baby shrimp safe). I found it kept clogging up and needed frequent attention. It never occurred to me to just put a wad of sponge in place of the strainer part.

Are you using window light?
-Jane

PS - I LOVE the Eheim HOB filters - built solid, very quiet, and easy to clean.

#12 ·
Are you using window light?
-Jane

No window light, just the desk lamp. And I was experimenting with the sponge filter in the intake. It does need a bit more attention, and does slow down the flow of water a bit; but overall it seems to be an easy/cheap way to keep the lil shrimplets safe...

And yeah, gotta love the Eheims!

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks! :)
These tanks are tiny, I'd say shrimp over fish. Fish will probably jump, or at least feel cramped. Maybe Iwagumi?
Funny thing, as you posted this, I'm downstairs putting this tank together again! Give me a bit more, and I'll have pics of the new layout.
I know you wanted me to recreate the same layout, but I had to go with something new. Hope it's still appealing!

#20 ·
So I purchased some HC and DHG from GLA.
Split the roots into different tanks and boxes (indoors and out).
Most thriving, but my 10 gallon outside was getting too hot, so these are the pieces I was able to salvage.
Haven't decided about the tank options for post-flooding, but I'm thinking about doing something nice. :proud:

#28 ·
80% of the HC melted, but the remaining amount is growing back now. Plus I've planted DHG in the back, and it's establishing. I've also added a layer of aqua soil onto the black gravel, hopefully it will help. Once this tank looks a little more impressive, I'll post a proper update with photos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.