The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 120-P Journal "River Wild" - THE END - R.I.P. 3/24/12

275K views 2K replies 190 participants last post by  speedie408 
#1 · (Edited)
The end of River Wild is here. This will be my last picture update for this scape. It's been a good run. Time for a new beginning. :) FTS from above with all equipment pulled:

Look out for my new scape, coming soon to a thread near you! :D

Latest Vid 1/27/12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9LpxGR8tI&list=UULeRieRWpQQj-KQ9c9Ay18g&index=1&feature=plcp

VID I made during feeding. Last time you'll see my Roselines :( http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1556835-post1323.html

I've been sitting on this empty tank for a few weeks now due to some minor bumps in the road, but it's slowly on it's way up. This is my very first ADA tank and I'm excited to get this thing up n running:biggrin:

This list was updated 11/14/11

- [STRIKE]Cyperus helferi [/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Bolbitis [/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Narrow leaf java fern[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Xmas moss[/STRIKE]
- Fissidens Fontanis
- [STRIKE]Mini pellia [/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]E. tennellus[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Staurogyne sp. porto velho[/STRIKE]
- Downoi
- [STRIKE]Anubias nana petite[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Crypt Wendtii "mi oya" [/STRIKE]
- Crypt green gecko
- [STRIKE]Crypt keei[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Crypt bullosa[/STRIKE]
- Crypt hudoroi
- [STRIKE]Crypt striolata[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]- Crypt pontederiifolia[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Red tiger lotus[/STRIKE]
- Crypt nurii var. Pahang mutated
- Crypt nurii
- Crypt willisii lucens
- Elantine triandra
[STRIKE]- polygonum kawagoneum
- polygonum sao paulo
- polygonum ruby
- Philippine java fern
- Staurogyne repens [/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]- hydrocotyle sibthorpioides[/STRIKE]
- MQ

Hardscape:
- Alpine Manzanita
- Locally collected rocks

Soil:
- ADA ASII
- course river sand (foreground coverage that's been mixed in with AS now over time)

Filtration/Flow:
- [STRIKE]Eheim Pro3 2075[/STRIKE]
- Eheim Classic 2217
- CFS 500
- [STRIKE]Hydor Koralia 1[/STRIKE] - removed for less flow for Altums
- Generic 200gph powerhead (for misting CO2)

Lights: suspension kit
- Sunlight Supply Tek 4x54W t5ho, dual cord
- Giesemann 3xMidday & 1xAquaflora bulbs

Fauna:
- 4 Betta Macrostoma
- [STRIKE]10 Roseline Sharks[/STRIKE] Replaced with 10 Altum Angel hybrids
- [STRIKE]5 Rummynose tetras[/STRIKE]
- 11 Dwarf chain loaches
- 6 Pygmy zebra loaches
- [STRIKE]4 Half Moon Dragon plakat bettas (1 males 3 females)[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]1 Green neon goby[/STRIKE]
- 2 Pit bull plecos
- 3 Calico LFBN pleco
- 1 Rainbow darter
- 6 Cardinal tetras
- [STRIKE]3 Chilton corona nerite snails[/STRIKE]

Fertilization: EI dry ferts

As far as pics:
Here are a couple mock hardscapes that I did so far with just the wood. I'm liking #2 the most. It should get interesting once the substrate and rocks are in play. Who knows, it may all change.

at a higher perspective

Don't be afraid to tell me how it is. I've actually never scaped anything this big before so I could use some tips.

See less See more
#5 ·
Here's a straight on look of #1

My initial mock up was #1 and I liked it as well, but it reminds me too much of my layout in the 20L tank I have. I kinda want something I haven't done yet.

Don't let the little "brat" fool you with his looks. He's as naughty as they come. I hate terrible twos. :angryfire However we still love him to death :icon_mrgr.

i like #1 more than two but #2 is easier to plant and prune. Man I would to get me a 120 someday, need a bigger place first. Your son looks like he wants to go for a swim.
Planting this tank will be a chore regardless of the scape. I'm not looking forward to the moss and fissidens tying. And about the swimming kid, this guy loves water a little too much for comfort.

#1 is nice however I personally like #2 better. It looks like you followed the design rule of the "golden ratio" 1:1.618. Nice tank and driftwood :proud:

Dan
Thanks for pointing that out Dan. Although I have no idea what the "golden ratio" is.

#3 ·
i like #1 more than two but #2 is easier to plant and prune. Man I would to get me a 120 someday, need a bigger place first. Your son looks like he wants to go for a swim.

#7 ·
Sick dude. Just sick. I like #2 a lot, because like you said, the other hardscape is pretty similar to your 20 long. I think #2 would be a more unique scape since the main focus is more to the center of the tank, rather than off to one side. Plus I think it has more of a "dark labyrinth" look, especially if you deck it out with lots of epiphytes.

#11 ·
Thanks guys!

Lego - Other than Java ferns and bolbitis, I don't know what other Epiphythes to use. I'm planning to leave most of the wood the way it is, however I'll be doing alot of fissidens/moss rocks.

Dan - Thanks for confusing me even more lol. I'm not a technical guy especially when it comes to numbers. Thanks for the explanation though. ;)

#12 ·
Looking forward top your final scape. I do like #1 better as it looks more like my 60-p. :)

I cant wait to get a 120 for my basement or hopefully they will have something even bigger in the next few years.

It seems like you will have more then enough light to grow whatever you want. How are you going to do your co2 dosing?

#15 ·
It seems like you will have more then enough light to grow whatever you want. How are you going to do your co2 dosing?
Yeah, I may only end up using 2 bulbs for this setup, but it don't hurt to be prepared for future scapes that may demand higher light :D. I totally forgot to list CO2 on the original post haha. Thanks for reminding me. It's going to be the typical ceramic disc diffusion.

#18 ·
I like #1 better as well, but it's up to you. Seems like everyone is getting a 120P these days. If all goes to plan I'll be getting a job this fall and sell off my smaller tanks to get a 120P myself. The glass is just too pretty :hihi:

Keep us updated! Your other tanks are amazing. I can only imagine what you do with this bad boy.

#19 ·
oh man... i've been waiting for this one. i expect to be sitting at my computer screen in awe very soon.

that wood is sweet. looks like it's just the right size. i always use wood that gets absorbed into the scape and have been looking for stuff just like that.

the best of luck with this one!

#21 ·
Speedie's ADA 120-P Journal

CL said:
I like #1 better as well, but it's up to you. Seems like everyone is getting a 120P these days. If all goes to plan I'll be getting a job this fall and sell off my smaller tanks to get a 120P myself. The glass is just too pretty :hihi:

Keep us updated! Your other tanks are amazing. I can only imagine what you do with this bad boy.
I was admiring the quality if this tank today and I must admit, it was worth every penny. Do get one whenever you get the opportunity. AFA's main display tank is a 180cm tank and that thing is a beast compared to the 120. You should aim for that size ;)

Thanks for the kind words bro.

#22 ·

oldpunk78 said:
oh man... i've been waiting for this one. i expect to be sitting at my computer screen in awe very soon.

that wood is sweet. looks like it's just the right size. i always use wood that gets absorbed into the scape and have been looking for stuff just like that.

the best of luck with this one!
Hahaha there's nothing to awe at bro. It'll just be another tank. This one is going to take a while to get where I really want it so I hope you guys are patient. :)

As for the wood, these pieces were hand picked by Tom and I just happened to have first dibbs off of a pickup truckload not too long ago that he brought up for a local fish club. I LOVE this wood.

#26 ·
I want your wood, oops that didn't sound right. all the driftwood i see that tom has, or collects is really nice. wish my brother still lived in oceanside then i could make a trip out there to get some of those awesome looking driftwood. can't way to see it on the stand with plants. tom should put a driftwood package together for all the nice driftwood he finds.

#27 ·

fishyjoe24 said:
I want your wood, oops that didn't sound right. all the driftwood i see that tom has, or collects is really nice. wish my brother still lived in oceanside then i could make a trip out there to get some of those awesome looking driftwood. can't way to see it on the stand with plants. tom should put a driftwood package together for all the nice driftwood he finds.
Yeah I can't speak for Tom but as far as I know he don't like dealing with the issue of shipping wood due to their irregular sizes.

Tom if you're reading this, nows the perfect time to slang that wood :p

#31 ·
Guys, thanks for the concern but I think I'll be fine :) I do appreciate it.

I think I've got CO2 nailed down pretty well now. A year ago, I wouldn't be so sure. :D

BPS is relative to tank size and plant mass. It won't be the same bps for every tank, even if they were the same size unless both tank's have the exact same plant mass/fauna stocklist.

#37 ·
Today I received a boat load of bolbitis and java fern from my new best TPT buddy Wasserpest. Thanks brother!

I also received my stand and assembled it. It's SOLID and was a sinch to assemble. Took me a little under an hour with a powered screw driver. Here's how it looks with the tank on it:

You can see my carbon fiber "garden mat" here! J/K it's the cheap foam padding they sell at Wallyworld for cupboards for moms to place their cups on haha. 3 ply cut to spec and it works like a charm. I spent 5 bucks on this stuff.

Quality piece of sticker! And I thought it was etched on... Oh well.

I've got some conduit already painted and ready to go for the light install. It's coming along nicely. I'll be celebrating my 11 year anniversary tomorrow so the plants will have to wait to be planted. Got this weekend though so stay tuned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.