The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 120-P Journal "River Wild" - THE END - R.I.P. 3/24/12

275K views 2K replies 190 participants last post by  speedie408 
#1 · (Edited)
The end of River Wild is here. This will be my last picture update for this scape. It's been a good run. Time for a new beginning. :) FTS from above with all equipment pulled:

Look out for my new scape, coming soon to a thread near you! :D

Latest Vid 1/27/12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9LpxGR8tI&list=UULeRieRWpQQj-KQ9c9Ay18g&index=1&feature=plcp

VID I made during feeding. Last time you'll see my Roselines :( http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1556835-post1323.html

I've been sitting on this empty tank for a few weeks now due to some minor bumps in the road, but it's slowly on it's way up. This is my very first ADA tank and I'm excited to get this thing up n running:biggrin:

This list was updated 11/14/11

- [STRIKE]Cyperus helferi [/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Bolbitis [/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Narrow leaf java fern[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Xmas moss[/STRIKE]
- Fissidens Fontanis
- [STRIKE]Mini pellia [/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]E. tennellus[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Staurogyne sp. porto velho[/STRIKE]
- Downoi
- [STRIKE]Anubias nana petite[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Crypt Wendtii "mi oya" [/STRIKE]
- Crypt green gecko
- [STRIKE]Crypt keei[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Crypt bullosa[/STRIKE]
- Crypt hudoroi
- [STRIKE]Crypt striolata[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]- Crypt pontederiifolia[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]Red tiger lotus[/STRIKE]
- Crypt nurii var. Pahang mutated
- Crypt nurii
- Crypt willisii lucens
- Elantine triandra
[STRIKE]- polygonum kawagoneum
- polygonum sao paulo
- polygonum ruby
- Philippine java fern
- Staurogyne repens [/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]- hydrocotyle sibthorpioides[/STRIKE]
- MQ

Hardscape:
- Alpine Manzanita
- Locally collected rocks

Soil:
- ADA ASII
- course river sand (foreground coverage that's been mixed in with AS now over time)

Filtration/Flow:
- [STRIKE]Eheim Pro3 2075[/STRIKE]
- Eheim Classic 2217
- CFS 500
- [STRIKE]Hydor Koralia 1[/STRIKE] - removed for less flow for Altums
- Generic 200gph powerhead (for misting CO2)

Lights: suspension kit
- Sunlight Supply Tek 4x54W t5ho, dual cord
- Giesemann 3xMidday & 1xAquaflora bulbs

Fauna:
- 4 Betta Macrostoma
- [STRIKE]10 Roseline Sharks[/STRIKE] Replaced with 10 Altum Angel hybrids
- [STRIKE]5 Rummynose tetras[/STRIKE]
- 11 Dwarf chain loaches
- 6 Pygmy zebra loaches
- [STRIKE]4 Half Moon Dragon plakat bettas (1 males 3 females)[/STRIKE]
- [STRIKE]1 Green neon goby[/STRIKE]
- 2 Pit bull plecos
- 3 Calico LFBN pleco
- 1 Rainbow darter
- 6 Cardinal tetras
- [STRIKE]3 Chilton corona nerite snails[/STRIKE]

Fertilization: EI dry ferts

As far as pics:
Here are a couple mock hardscapes that I did so far with just the wood. I'm liking #2 the most. It should get interesting once the substrate and rocks are in play. Who knows, it may all change.

at a higher perspective

Don't be afraid to tell me how it is. I've actually never scaped anything this big before so I could use some tips.

See less See more
#73 ·
The Bolbitis came from a 28" tall tank :wink: so given enough light it should stay much more compact in your tank. Once it is established a bit and grows some new fronds you can indeed cut off most of the existing large ones.

That said, Bolbitis looks extremely cool when growing emersed too! Nice for covered ripariums with sufficient air space.

#82 ·
Probably not. If this tank becomes successful, then maybe :). I'm going to grab some clear tubing from Dr.F&S. And thank you!

The plants look great :) I can't wait to see it all fill in.
It's gonna take a while to fill in. Thanks!

#83 ·
I got 2 sets of AM (Aquatic Magic) lily pipes in the mail today. A 13mm & 16mm set for my 2 Eheims. I took a few pics for anyone who's on the fence on these pipes. They are well worth the money, considering they cost alot less than ADA or Do! aqua. Check em out for yourselves:

Intake - nice thick glass.

Quality pc. of glassware

Outflow lily - same thickness as intake pipe

The suction cup knobs are nicely lined up

I've never handled ADA or Do! pipes, but these are a no brainer if you're looking for some quality lily pipes. Just thought I'd share.

#86 ·
;)

Thanks for taking the effort to photograph those pipes. I might have to check some out first hand myself ;)
Just make sure you're getting them from Aquatic Magic themselves. They're the only ebay Lily pipe seller from Singapore.

Here's a fresh FTS after the 3rd water change so far this week. I've got some test subjects residing in the tank for 2 days now, no issues. 4 Norman Lampeyes and 3 Gurtrudaes. All alive and well. :bounce:

#90 ·
Wow dude, it looks like someone took a slice of a forest and dropped it in your tank. This will look absolutely phenomenal in a few months.

#93 ·
Hey speedie, is the tank exactly 120 cm? I plan on making a stand for mine "just in case" i decide to buy one down the road. I've been wanting to do some woodworking so I think I'll go ahead and start building ;)
[strike]How much did your stand cost?[/strike] NVM, I found it on petco.com ;)

#96 ·
I'm thinking about getting another 2217 or maybe even a Rena equivilant. My plant choices for this tank can tolerate high flow so upping the flow is my next upgrade. I've also got a 160gph Zoomed powerhead for misting my CO2 and a Hydor Koralia 1, all pushing the water in a circular motion in the tank atm. It's not enough flow.

#97 ·
Hey Speedie. Its been a while that I have been trying to be regular back in PT and checking on old setups. However I have to admit that your new setup is waaay better than the previous ones. I love the tank, the wood, the layout, the light, the plants....EVERYTHING.

Amazing setup bud! Makes me plan to buy a 120P right away! I am hooked on this one.

#98 ·
Long time buddy! How've you been? Coming back to the Bay anytime soon? I'm glad you like the new setup. :proud:

However, I decided to chop down all the older bolbitis because they were dying for some reason. They were way too long anyway so I'm hoping the new growth will be much shorter. I've got plenty of flow for which they like but I don't have soft water so that may be the reason the old growth died, probably due to shock. The newer growth is doing ok so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I stopped by AFA and grabbed some Cyperus helferi for my background plant and also a pot of 4 leaf clovers as a midground. Hopefullly these plants don't melt on me. So far everything is bouncing back with new growth. I'm happy with the way things are going. Lets hope it stays consistent.

I'm going on vac for a week in August... I'm already worried for the tank now. Should I just let it go without lights/ferts/co2 for that entire week? I've done it before in the past where I left the lights and CO2 on but no ferts for 3 days (on timers of course) and after I came back my tank was full of BBA :angryfire. Don't wanna do that again. What should I do?

#99 ·
I was in SF for work last month and got some plants from AFA. probably will be there couple of times a year but no plans right now. Will let you know, certainly want to stop by and see your tank in person.

Don't change the tank's conditions when you are out. You can leave the lights and CO2 on a timer. Not sure how you dose your ferts. I dry dose so the only time I had so far had to be away for a week or so I dosed using a fish feeder. That's something to consider or you may do some extra dosing for a 2-3 days prior to your vacation and let it be like that.

BBA is caused by CO2 issue and light. Missing to dose for a few days should not hurt things much.

#103 ·
I was in SF for work last month and got some plants from AFA. probably will be there couple of times a year but no plans right now. Will let you know, certainly want to stop by and see your tank in person.
Let me know when you're in town man. Drop by anytime. Thanks for the tips.

Looking sharp Speedie.:proud:

Thanks for taking the time to upload some quality pics of the AM glassware. I've been curious on the thickness, quality etc. of those. They look pretty d@mn sturdy from here.
Oh they're damn sturdy alright. :proud: I highly recommend these pipes.

When I go on vaca I reduce lighting period to 4-5 hours and lower co2 bubble count to about half of what I have now. This seems to work well for me and even my erios did well.
I may have to consider this route, just to make things easier. Did you have to dose extra before you left? If so, how much extra would you say for 1 week?

#105 ·
There should be a better picture with the tank and stand in a previous post on this thread, but here are a couple more to help you decide.

You can see here the waterproof coating used to keep the wood dry which also gives the stand a matte finish.

#108 ·
Thanks guys.

Chris - the doors are fine. I've got no issues with them. Depending on how big of a guy you are, I can see where it could pose a problem. I'm 235lbs (I know, I'm a fat@ss) @ 5'11" and I've managed to crawl in to screw my power strip along the back wall. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.