I've been meaning to get around to making a journal for quite a while now, but a continuous series of unfortunate events led me to keep putting it off. At this point I'm worried that if I wait for everything to get "back to normal" that I'll never end up posting so here we go, imperfections and all! I'll try to format this so people can see the basics of the set-up without having to wade through the novel of a background story.
Current Full Tank Shot [December 27th, 2016]:
EI Dosing, CO2, lights on 7 hours, 50% weekly water change
Ph out of tap: 9.4
- Degassed: 7.4
- Peak CO2: 6.4
GH: 9 / KH: 3
90 gallon tank (48L x 18W x 24H) and stand
: Fluval 406; Hydor Professional 350; Eheim 2215
Finnex Ray 2; Finnex Planted+
: Victor 450D Dual Stage Regulator; 10lb Tank; GLA Inline Diffuser
Black Diamond Blasting Sand 20/40 (100lbs)
300W Eheim Heater; (2) Hydor Koralia 240 Circulation Pumps; 18 watt Inline UV Sterilizer; Driftwood on slate
Alternanthera reineckii “mini”
Hedyotis Sp. Borneo Orange
Lindernia Rotundifolia variegated
Lobelia Cardinalis Small Form
Ludwigia inclinata Cuba
Ludwigia sp. Red
Myriophyllum Sp. Guyana (mini)
Persicaria sp. Sao Paulo
Rotala sp. Vietnam
Rotala Magenta (narrow)
Rotala Pearl type 2
Rotala Sp. Colorata
Rotala Mini Butterfly
Removed Plants (for one reason or another):
M. praecox (Dwarf Neon Rainbow)
G. wanamensis (Lake Wanam Rainbow)
M. garylangei (Golden Rainbow)
Western Rainbow Fish - Upper Katherine River
Candy Cane Tetra
I've been a low-key fish keeper for about five years. Fake plants, really basic fish, etc. Then earlier this year I inherited some dwarf neon and Boesemani rainbows from a friend leaving town, and suddenly I became obsessed. After learning that Rainbows prefer planted tanks I ended up diving head first into the hobby, and converted my 29 gallon to fully planted around June or so. I also realized I would need a much larger tank. Unfortunately, as a senior in college saving up for graduate school, I have a fairly tight budget. I started looking for a used tank, after a month of looking I found a used 90 gallon with stand for $100, which the seller even delivered to my door. I also bought a used co2 set up for $100 not long after.
Of course there was an issue with the tank that I didn't see in the pictures: significant deep scratches. Since there aren't many options for affordable larger tanks in my area, I decided I'll live with them until I can eventually upgrade. The silicone was also in really bad shape, so after a ridiculous amount of reading I ended up resealing the tank. My first attempt I ended up with one corner where the silicone was way too thin. It held water but I didn't trust that it would long term, so I stripped out everything and resealed once again. By early October I finally got to the final leak testing stage.
After successfully holding water for a week on the floor of my very torn apart office, I ordered some plants to experiment with and got the tank ready to go.
October 26th, 2016
November 14th, 2016
Working on co2/light balance
About a week after that picture I had the worst ich outbreak I have ever experienced. I don't know if I somehow cross-contaminated tanks from the quarantine where I had some new fish, but it started in the 90 and two days later every fish I had was covered. Long story short I ended up having to move everyone out of the 90, bought a 55 gal to serve as a general hospital tank, and turned my 20 gallon quarantine into a fish ICU. After 3 weeks with no response to any standard ich treatment method I tried some "all in one" treatment out of desperation, and finally started to see improvement. Unfortunately I ended being too late for some, and lost two adult male "Wapoga River" C. Alleni rainbows. At the time I'm posting this everyone is free of spots and will be moved gradually back to the 90 gallon in a week or so.
Between the ich crisis and dealing with finals at school, I've neglected this tank quite a bit. The plants took a beating because even after moving all the fish out I still had to treat the 90 gal with medication as fry kept friggen hatching and I never managed to suck them all out. And the daily water changes for extended periods of time also threw things off a bit. Now that the fish are well I'm hoping to get back on track, and for now I'm just playing around with different plants to see what works well with my set up and what doesn't. I'm always open to suggestions, recommendations, or questions. I've only been acquainted with the world of planted tanks since June, and while this site and others have taught me so much, there's always more to learn. Although full disclosure I'm definitely more invested in the fish than the plants. Sorry for the novel, and thanks for stopping by!