I have always liked the dimensions of the 150 gal tanks I would sometimes see at Petsmart. 48x24x31. It has so much depth and height, that I should be able to do some interesting things with it. This is going to replace my 90gal which was a hasty replacement for a 125 that broke back in Nov of 09'.
This was my 125 72x18x21 I think it was, that split a seam.
Here is my current 90. 60x14x24 I really like this tank, but I miss the depth I used to have.
Here is a quick shot of the 150 in my messy garage.
I got a good deal on this off craigslist. The center brace is broken and I have plans to replace this home built stand. I have ordered a replacement top frame for $70, I though it was going to be less. It is also going to take a month to get here. But that will give me some time to get everything else ready. I got the old frame off over the weekend and now am working on cleaning off the old silicone.
I am excited and think this is going to be a very nice tank.
I will stay with the same theme for fish in the new tank. Mostly South American fish, discus, angels, rams, apistos, tetras, plecos. With a few special purpose fish from other areas like loaches for snails and SAE for algae.
I want to add build up a good school of rummies to go with my pretty good school of cardinals.
I will probably ad a few more rams and apistos.
The big investment in fish will be some solid red discus like San Merah or red covers to contrast the brilliant blue turquoise discus I have now.
Because of the dimensions of this tank, lighting and trimming will be tricky. I am pretty sure I will stay with my 4x54w t5ho Catalina fixture and move to more of a mid to low light set up with lots of anubias and ferns.
This is where I am going to need some help. With so much depth and height, I have some big plans. But they are not common, so my sources of information are limited.
I have had more or less the same layout in my first two tanks. It has grown and adapted overtime, but it is mostly similar. My plan for the new tank is again a similar layout with a few new twists. My overall consent is to make this look like a slice out of a riverbank.
- The left back corner is going to be a large hill. I have the room to do it pretty big, I just don't have a clear idea on how to do it.
- The second big twist builds on the big hill. I hope to do a planted back wall on cork similar to Tom Barr's method. I hope this will give the impression of a continuation of the big hill to make it look like a river bank.
- The back right corner will have the manzanita stump that is already in the 90.
So now I am ready for some input. The piece of info I need is how to do the large hill or bank. I am thinking cork and lace rock to allow for easy plant attachment. Some substrate filled pockets would allow for other plants as well.
Do I leave the area behind the hill open so fish can go back there, or should I back fill it with something? That is what I am not sure on. I worry about dead pockets and don't know what is required to avoid that.
Thanks for the suggestion. I used some of that on the jungle wall above the 90. I think it would be a good way to combine the cork and lace rock. I don't think it would be a good idea to try and use it to back fill behind it.
Try making your hill shape out of tiers of eggcrate. You could put a lip at the edge of each tier to hold substrate better. Then go over the whole thing with pond foam and embed some substrate into it before it's fully cured, so it matches the scape in any spots that aren't actually covered.
I am making pretty good progress I think.
- I got the broken top rim off and removed all the old silicone
- I have a batch of worm castings mineralizing and received an MTS nutrient kit from Cryptkeeper this week
- I bought materials to reskin the stand and started working, but I have found that I need to completely rebuild the stand. While the top and bottom were square, the vertical supports were not. I am in the middle of the rebuild now.
- theblondskeleton gave me a whole bunch of lace rock from a past scape in his tank. It gave me some great ideas for some things to try with this tank.
The big change I am making about my planned scape is not to fill the tank all the way up. I really want to have the 150 gallons, but I am worried about the weight. The tank is on the second floor, and while it is against an exterior wall, it runs parallel to the support structure. I just don't want to take any chances. Perhaps someday I will have this tank on a better supported floor and can use the full tank of water, but for now I am planning on 90 gallons of water and the rest will be a plant wall. I am still working on the details of how to do the wall and will fill everyone in later.
Sorry I don't have any photo updates, hopefully next time I will have some photos of the rebuilt stand.