Justordinary's ADA Mini M - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By justordinary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Justordinary's ADA Mini M

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at a planted tank.

The last time i have a tank was back when i was a kid keeping small freshwater fishes and never anything plants. I've always wanted a planted tank growing up but it was way too expensive of a hobby at least in my country.

Now that i'm able to afford them, here goes! It's been 2 weeks since i've started this tank.

Specs

Tank
ADA Mini M (36cmx22cmx26cm)
Chihiros Garden Mat (36cmx22cm)

Lighting
Chihiros A361 (21w @ 8000k with 7 stages adjustable brightness. Current lighting level at stage 3 with 7 hours photoperiod.)

Filtration
Sunsun H602B canister filter
Seachem Matrix
Seachem Purigen (To be added once tank has stabilized)

Co2
Chihiros single gauge solenoid regulator with 4L co2 tank
VIV glass bubble counter (1.7bps)
VIV music diffuser 15mm
Random drop checker

Subsrate/Hardscape
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia normal (bottom)
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder (top)
Dragon stone

Ferts/Water Parameters
Seachem Prime
API Master Test Kit
KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, CSM+B

Planned dosing regime:
N - 2.0ppm 3x a week
P - 0.2ppm 3x a week
K - 3.0ppm 3x a week
Iron/Traces - 0.2ppm 3x a week

I haven't start dosing yet.

Flora
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Staurogyne Repens
Rotala Rotundifolia 'Green'
Rotala Rotundifolia 'Red'

Fauna
Undecided yet.

Photos

Empty tank.

Substrate and hardscape.

After planting, leveling substrate, and filling. God it's cloudy! I had Eusteralis Stellata and Rotala Macrandra Dwarf at the background here. I just bought them randomly to fill up spaces while i decide on a background plant.

Day 3 - Decided I'd get Rotala Rotundifolia as the background plant and HM at the midground. While pulling out the plants, the dragon stone fell over on the HC while pulling out all the normal grain size amazonia soil. It looked like disaster so i drained the tank, rescaped, and recapped the soil with amazonia powder.

The next newbie mistake that i made was that the HM that i got from a local fish store was filled with green hair/thread algae. The whole plant was entangled. Lighting in my room isn't the best so i thought they were just cotton thread and planted them without bothering.

A few days later, it only came to my realization after seeing bits and pieces of them across my rocks and tank glass wall. It's not spreading out of control but i still see bits and pieces of them till today.

Day 14 - The rotalas has grown alot. HC's are doing very well too. The HM that's entangled with thread algae has melted so i removed them and added new pot of tissue cultured HM and some staurogyne repens.

The rotalas i bought were grown emersed. Picture below shows new shoots popping out of every piece of old emersed leaf.

Day 18 - Here's how the tank is looking now. I've trimmed the rotala and replanted some stems. I've also removed the old round emersed leaf off them.

Powerclown, Opare, nel and 1 others like this.

Last edited by justordinary; 12-08-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Restructured
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Current Issue

The HC were green and lush till day 14. Then, i noticed quite a few patches of them have stems and leaves that start to turn dark green and loses it's bright green color (marked in squares). What could have caused this? Lack of phosphate? My nitrate level is around 20ppm. Ammonia and nitrite 0ppm. It only happens with the HC. All other plants are doing well.

Also, some of the leaves have brown patches on it (marked in circles). The brown patches also appears on my hardscape and the soil. Is this diatoms? It's only on part of the hardscape and the HC. Not on any other plants that i have.

Last edited by justordinary; 12-08-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Wording
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Justordinary's ADA Mini M

Maybe the dark green leaves are some of the older growth melting as it could have been emersed.
Maybe could be a CO2/flow issue? Really just guessing to be honest. Flow is unlikely though since the tank is small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode