The Planted Tank Forum banner

75g Bar Top build

12K views 67 replies 25 participants last post by  r.s.hutchinson 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, wanted to share progress as I make it with this one. Moved into a new house and finally getting around to some of the reno/projects I've been wanting to now that some of the more important ones are finished.

This is the first piece of a built-in bar with the tank as a focal point. May be building an island later if room allows.

Bar is just over 8' long, 24" deep. Tank is 44" from ground.

Just poured the concrete for the countertop so I'll post back when that's dry and on top.

See less See more
#11 ·
Haven't fully decided yet. Would like a big school of tetra's. As for plants I am in the same boat. I currently have a 36g bow with some various plants like val, crypts, mosses and a large sword which I'll likely use here.

Really interested to see how you run the plumping for your filtration.
The plumbing will run down the sides to underneath the tank. I haven't yet cut the 2.5" strips that will go around the upper cabinet to hide these.

#12 ·
Subscribed - I am very interested to see how this progresses!! I really like your idea and the way you have the tank elevated above the bar area. I always hate that with standard tank stands- the tank is always so low you have to bend over at the hip to see anything!

#15 ·
Some more progress. Cut the wood I picked out and have an idea of what I'm looking to do with it so I will pick up some organic soil and start on the scape tomorrow when stores open.

Going to get building my LED light today and pick out some plants to order. Any suggestions on plants? Looking for a nice low-ish maintenance carpet plant as well.

#25 ·
Great job on the bar, stand and layout. Hopefully those bottles are not collecting too much dust :). As far as the aquascape is concerned the only thing I could think of as a possible change (it may be less appealing) would be to move the long, upright wood to the left side of the tank. Another option would be to move it to the right side and take the current wood on the right and move it to the left. With all of that being said I also like it how you have it right now.

#26 ·
Planted the tank last Wednesday. Haven't had a chance to properly set up the filter, heater and co2 so it's a bit of a mess but I threw them in there for the time being.

I'm using a single sunsun 404 canister and want to go with Lily pipes since I like the glass look and I won't be able to hide the spray bar and have it work effectively. My plan is to go with 3/4" tubing from the filter and tee it off to two 1/2" tubing runs, one on either end of the tank using 13mm Lily pipes to create a circular flow around around the tank. I want to do this for both intake and outlet.

Does anyone see a problem with teeing a 2 into 1 for the intake to the filter? The area of two 1/2" circles is just under the area of a single 3/4" so I shouldn't lose much flow if any.

I'll post pictures every week or so to see how the plants fill and progress. Haven't done a water change yet, water is a bit cloudy from original fill and will change it today and add some more moss. Need to find some stargrass for the right side infront of the anubia.

Dirted bottom with Mykes organic potting mix and capped with black K&E enviroblast sand from TSC.

#28 ·
Changed a few things up. Added some more dirt to the left side to raise it up. Rock wall and dirt in the back where the C. Calamistratum is planted. Will probably add something to the back in the middle soon and bring the S. Repens to the front. I didn't put any dirt under the sand in that spot so it's not really showing any growth.

Eleocharis SP Mini on the right is growing well, many new shoots. The DHG on the left seems to be a little slower.

Will be building an inline heater and reactor soon. The in tank diffuser makes for a lot of bubbles and the wood is giving off a lot of tannins, should have tried to boil them first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.