Toadpher's Aquariadise: 60g - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By toadpher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Toadpher's Aquariadise: 60g

Hello ptp!

After a series of unfortunate events and a move, my tank situation has changed dramatically. I now have one 55g paludarium waiting to go under the knife for a full build up and a full 60g aquarium now.

The aquarium will be the topic of this thread and will be built slowly over the weeks.

It's still kinda going to be a hodgepodge tank, but with more plants and a little bit more planning.

The tank as it currently stands. Dwarf sag on the left, red tiger lotus in the pot, jungle val in the back, Anubias nana and petite on the driftwood and some java fern hiding behind the wood in the back right corner as of now. I'm looking to add two more chunks of driftwood one much bigger and one a little smaller. Kinda taking some iwagumi inspiration with that. The rock cave will be removed and replaced with the wood once I find suitable pieces. Then covered with assorted Anubias varieties. The left will be dominated by the tiger lotus, dwarf sag and some Amazon sword in the back corner I haven't planted yet. That's all for now, gotta go backpacking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Algae Grower

Cool to see someone else planting a tank with gold fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's not easy! You are definitely limited with what they won't eat or tear up, but it can be done!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I removed the tiger lotus because the goldies kept eating the sprouts! I'm going to establish it in another container then put it back in the tank when the leaves are big enough where they won't get eaten.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, while we wait for my lotus bulb to grow and establish itself, maybe I can learn how to grow plants better.

Along with my tiger lotus, I got a few dwarf sag plants, as I have read that they are very hardy, fast growing and easy. Well here is my dwarf sag after a week in the aquarium.

Is this normal? Am I being too impatient? I have a 4-6-6 pellet fertilizer under the sag and my Vals, I dose flourish comprehensive every two weeks, I have a 2 bulb 48" T5ho fixture with agromax purepar grow bulbs (these things grew veggies like mad) about 30" from substrate, I just stared dosing excel and advance today to get the root systems going and hopefully get rid of some bba forming on the top of my Vals. I know about Vals and excel, I have dosed excel with these Vals in the past and they survived. I'm slowly increasing my dosing to hopefully not shock them with it. Any help would be appreciated. I really would like to get out of the ugly amateur stage and start growing some healthy plants, but just can't seem to make that happen.

On the other hand, the moss I'm growing for my paludarium is coming along quite nicely!

Dudley will be very happy about that!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Vals are one of the plants that Excel can kill, unfortunately.

Also, I would bump up the dosing of the Flourish Comp to every other day or so, every 2 weeks isn't nearly enough.

sorry to hear about the toad!

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...881&highlight=
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'll keep an eye on the Vals with excel. I don't have that many plants right now, so I didn't want to overdose the comprehensive, like I have done in the past. I'll start adding it a bit more often to see what happens though.

Yeah poor toad. She was such a cute little grumps. I learned a lot from Kira and her deaths though and I'm happy to report Dudley is as fat, happy and healthy as she's even been!
Veritas likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did some filter maintenance and found a huge sock of AC I had forgotten about. I think AC absorbs some essential nutrients plants need, could this have been part of my issue? I removed it and will see how things progress from here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode