First Home. Time for a Real Tank. 90 Gallon Build - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

First Home. Time for a Real Tank. 90 Gallon Build

Got a new project.
Picked up a second hand 90 gallon in craigslist for 200$
It will be a big project,havent had anything bigger then 15 gallons for 10 years.
Looking for some pointers on light, filter choices.
Sand Substrate that came with tank, not sure what is is, is it possible to fix scratches on rim of tank? I've uploaded a picture for reference.

Plan
48x18x24 in 90 gallon standard black tank
Custom built stand. Steel and wood stained black
Light... Finnex of some sort
Filter... Magniflow 350

Going to be freshwater. Community fish.
Heavily planted with low/Med plants. No Pressurized co2

Any help and suggestions would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161111_112606.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	689353  

Name:	20161111_112542.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	689361  

Name:	20161111_112549.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	689369  

Name:	20161111_112615.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	689377  

BettaBettas likes this.

my other expensive hobby....my golden retriever "Samson",

Last edited by Emplanted; 11-12-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

I cannot tell if it is just the angle that the photo was taken at, but is your tank 24" wide and 18" tall? If so, that is a unique footprint for a 90 gallon, lots of depth to work with!
As far as filters go, I have two Eheim 2217s on my 90 gallon, and they are great filters. I also hear good things about the Fluval FX6, but I have never owned one myself.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My mistake, I wrote that wrong, 24 high 18 wide
Thanks for suggestion. I've run an eheim 2211 I believe. On my 20 gallon previously, I found the lack of ease to prime frustrating. And flow rate was always terrible. Never got it quite right. I love the build quality and quietness of the filters, but I'm hesitant to try them again. Expensive if I can't get it working properly.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
cant wait to see finished product
Thanks! It's going to be a big project
BettaBettas likes this.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm leaning towards (after every morning on the internet reading reviews)...
Finnex planted plus 24/7. (One for now and I can add a second one later if needed)
-I like the look of the black ballast with the black rim of tank, it sounds like it should be just enough light for what I want.
Or
Finnex Ray2
-it would be more light then the +24/7 maybe to much for low to med plants. The fixture is bulkier and don't aesthetically like the silver ballast.

For filter
The marineland magniflow 350, with an added water circulator for the top of tank.
Good price and good review as far as I can see
This should be enough?
Anyone know the watts on the Model?

Any thoughts? Anyone using something similar in their tanks?

Last edited by Emplanted; 11-12-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Adding
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The magnaflow 350 filter wouldn't be my first choice. Look at an API Filstar L or XL.They have more media options than the 350. A single 300w heater should suffice if your house is kept around 70 degrees. The substrate you have looks to be a generic sand/gravel mix, not bad but could be improved. As for lights, I have heard good things about the 24/7, but you will probably need 2 to get front to back coverage. As for the scratches, you can lightly sand them out then try to polish the plastic back to a shine.

125g makeover ,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join---> The 6 Foot Plus Club

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchevy View Post
The magnaflow 350 filter wouldn't be my first choice. Look at an API Filstar L or XL.They have more media options than the 350. A single 300w heater should suffice if your house is kept around 70 degrees. The substrate you have looks to be a generic sand/gravel mix, not bad but could be improved. As for lights, I have heard good things about the 24/7, but you will probably need 2 to get front to back coverage. As for the scratches, you can lightly sand them out then try to polish the plastic back to a shine.
Is the magniflow not enough for the tank? I read mixed reviews on the API, but maybe I'll look at them again.

The gravel, what would you suggest adding for better plant growth. Just root tabs or actual different substrate?

Thanks!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:11 AM
Planted Member

I like the thread name

Greats on the house and the build looks like it's coming together!

Ps my finnex planted plus was great before I had co2. I just used some screen to dim the light a little bit but that was on a 40b. On a 90 it is probably perfect.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I may have misunderstood which filter you were looking at. Marineland makes two filters with close to the same name, the Magnum 350 and the Magnaflow C-360. The C-360 should be a good filter choice. I use API Filstar XP-L's on all my large tanks and absolutely love them.
For low/medium light plants your gravel will work with root tabs and some supplemental trace dosing. If you are looking for a more natural looking substrate, now would be the time to make your choice. Almost all substrates will work for plants but usually you want a fine uniform grain size with a little weight to it (pool filter sand, small gravel). The substrates marketed for planted tanks are, in my opinion, not worth the extra money they cost. I personally use Saf-t-sorb ( a baked clay product for cleaning up oil spills and such) , I like the color and texture. It does have it's drawbacks though. It's lightweight,sometimes dusty, and will mess with your water parameters for a short time (most specifically PH and KH).
This is a hobby that kind of makes you find your own way of doing things. Something that works for someone else may not work for you. Lots of trial and error until you find that sweet spot that works. Do lots of research, take what you read as a guideline, not a rule, tweak it to work for you and above all enjoy. A hobby that is not enjoyable is just a job you pay to work at.
greekfish and Emplanted like this.

125g makeover ,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join---> The 6 Foot Plus Club

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchevy View Post
I may have misunderstood which filter you were looking at. Marineland makes two filters with close to the same name, the Magnum 350 and the Magnaflow C-360. The C-360 should be a good filter choice. I use API Filstar XP-L's on all my large tanks and absolutely love them.
For low/medium light plants your gravel will work with root tabs and some supplemental trace dosing. If you are looking for a more natural looking substrate, now would be the time to make your choice. Almost all substrates will work for plants but usually you want a fine uniform grain size with a little weight to it (pool filter sand, small gravel). The substrates marketed for planted tanks are, in my opinion, not worth the extra money they cost. I personally use Saf-t-sorb ( a baked clay product for cleaning up oil spills and such) , I like the color and texture. It does have it's drawbacks though. It's lightweight,sometimes dusty, and will mess with your water parameters for a short time (most specifically PH and KH).
This is a hobby that kind of makes you find your own way of doing things. Something that works for someone else may not work for you. Lots of trial and error until you find that sweet spot that works. Do lots of research, take what you read as a guideline, not a rule, tweak it to work for you and above all enjoy. A hobby that is not enjoyable is just a job you pay to work at.
Thanks alot! I have found over the years this hobby is super addicting and shocking, expensive haha. But it is fun.
johnson18 and BettaBettas like this.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Emplanted

Fellow Canadian just subscribe to your thread and will follow with interest. Question for you about the Finnex light. Where are you getting it from? I thought that because of CSA regulations they are now hard for us Canuks to get.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1963158 View Post
Hi Emplanted

Fellow Canadian just subscribe to your thread and will follow with interest. Question for you about the Finnex light. Where are you getting it from? I thought that because of CSA regulations they are now hard for us Canuks to get.
This will be my 3rd time buying the finnex lights, love them! I buy them all from Amazon.com. No problems. First time they shipped to my address. Otherwise I have mailbox just across the border for easy pick up now. I actually buy a lot from the American can Amazon, usually really good deals!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Waiting till black Friday. Going to buy some equipment for the tank so I can finally get started!
I'm getting antsy waiting...

While I wait here's a crappy but current picture of my 45cm do aqua tank I have currently running.

Growing out some plants for the 90 gallon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161116_150520.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	691114  

johnson18 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode