20 Gallon First Go At A Scape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

20 Gallon First Go At A Scape

Ahh . . . So it all started out so innocently. My wife kept asking me when we could set up her fish tank and I kept promising it would be soon. Well, fast forward to a few months later and I appear to have a full blown obsession with planted tanks. Typically my interests are passing so let's see where this one goes.

Anyways, it started with my wife's 32 gallon tank which went from a simple plant pack with no CO2, to DIY CO2, to now fully pressurized set up with t5HOs. That tanks is just a menagerie of plants which I am experimenting with growing.

Next came the 20 gallon which I decided I would do this journal for. I got it used from a very generous member of this forum in order to help feed my addiction. My goal for this tank is to try my hand at my first scape while trying to achieve lush growth.

It has been 3 weeks and so far, well . . . the algae has started and the plant growth is at best anemic. The plan is to set up a DIY Co2 hagen bubble ladder and try my best to keep up with EI dosing.

On to the specs:

20 Gallon (30x12x12)

Plants (excuse my spelling, I can't be bothered)
- E. Tenellus (I think)
- Fissidens Fontanus
- Crypt wenditti
- Cabomba Carolinia
- Limnophilia aquatica
- Sunset hygro
- Lugwigia repens
- Needle leaf java fern
- Oh yeah and algae of course (some fuzzy stuffy and some diatoms which will go away soon).

Animals
- 6 Ember tetras
- 6-8 Red Cherry Shrimp
- Some pesky snails (2 visible, soon to be 2 million or so)

The Scape:

I want to:

(1) carpet the substrate with E. tenellus;
(2) grow out the java fern;
(3) grow out the fissidens on the driftwood;
(4) eventually cut the hygro lower and make a little bush to the left in the tenellus grass (something like the new Tropica catalog); and
(5) have some kind of red stem in the right back corner but don't know what yet (suggestions would be greatly appreciated).

The other stems in there now are just for algae buffering, but I don't know if they are just robbing nutrients from the plants that I actually want to grow. Think I will leave them in at least until the carpet starts to take off.

Well lets see how this goes (crossing fingers).

Pics below (I will do my best with the point and shoot):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010.06.05.Full.Tank.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	21186  

Name:	2010.05.05.Embers.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	21187  

Name:	2010.06.05.Shrimp.2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	21188  

Name:	2010.06.05.Shrimp.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	21189  

Name:	2010.06.05.Sunset.Hygro.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	21190  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Look forward to updates.

38gal. Tetras Forest.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1418057
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 PM
msc
Planted Member

Looks like it should fill in nice. Will be looking forward seeing pictures of it filled in.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Time for an update and it aint pretty. Let's see . . . ah yes, more algae. Oh and the snails that I though I got rid of . . . well, they are back too. I have also lost two tetras. RIP guys/girls.

On a lighter note, I welcome the addition of two new ottos. One of them has a white spot on it though which I am afraid might be ich but I need to do some more research before coming to a conclusion.

Also, the plan has changed somewhat. Now I plan on a carpet of marsilea minutia and Eleocharis sp. Japan. I really like the HG Japan and when I got it it was a bright beautiful green. Now it looks a little dull and is starting to accumulate some algae. The MM, however, seems to be coming along well putting up new leaves every day.

Still trying to firgure out which red stem I want for the background and I think I am going to go with the Rotala Mac. Japan Red if I can get my hands on it.

I guess I just wanted to post this update because as much as I want the sweet looking tanks I have seen all over this great forum the reality is that I am going to have to work at it and its not always going to be perfect.

Going to try and up my water changes to two a week to help out with the water quality. I am also going to switch out one of the T8 bulbs I am running for a T12 to see if that might help some with the algae. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So here is a FTS below.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well so much for the "scape." Having fun anyways. Just did a DIY light hanging last night and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Got some great ROAK plants (thanks!!). A TON of dwarf hair grass, half or more of which I'm am going to ROAK myself once i get it all arranged the way I want. Lost an otto to some nasty ulcer (I think). Got some new ember tetras.

Algae is not going too crazy and raising the lights up should help.

All in all I'm am pleased with where it is headed.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Uhhh . . .

Still struggling with BBA and other algae, but here is an update nonetheless. On the bright side CO2 tank should be here some time this week and setup by next weekend.

Definitely still a newbee trying to figure things out.

As for my other tank. Not really much algae but the growth pretty much ground to a halt, with the exception of a few plants, after I medicated and ran carbon filtration for a week to clear the water. Still EI dosing on both tanks but not all that happy with were either is at now. But I'm still lovin' it!! Trying to figure things out. Wouldn't be any fun if it was easy (well maybe not as much fun).

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Eh . . . Well, lots of growth . . . of BBA. But over all I am back to being okay with the direction it is going, mainly because things are growing well.

Just added HC two weeks ago and its seems to be lovin' the tank so I'm stoked about that. Now I just have to get back on top of my fight with the BBA.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Things are going gangbuster in here now!! Still lots of BBA, but I have come to peace with it now. Also just bought an eheim ecco pro 2236 last night to replace the HOB.

Not so much of a scape but at least one goal, which was to grow things well, is working out.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well its full on jungle now. The growth in here is what I set out to accomplish and things are doing really well in this tank. Its actually my rescue tank if anything is looking particularly bad in my other tank it goes in here.

All my time has been spent lately on my new nano reef, but I'm still having ADA 120p dreams (or even just 60P dreams).

and a few shots of my latest obsession

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow that tank its amazing! Nice growth! And I love that goby! Makes me want my nano tank back...think I have a 10gallon spare!

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Trying to zen out a little bit during a busy work schedule so I figured I would update my journal.

Did a good trim last week. Everything is going well in this tank. BBA is totally manageable and any other algae is pretty much taken care of by the ottos.

Thanks Problemman. Nano reef is also lots of fun, but expensive so I'm just taking my time with that.

Pictures

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

Well done, your perseverance has paid off. Very nice tank.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

It's beautiful. I love seeing where tanks go as they grow in . . .
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Boy has this tank changed since then. Just having fun with my new camera. Finally was able to step up to a dslr and what a world of difference it makes. This is going to be fun (oh oh new obsession coming!?)

Here is a recent full tank shot with my old point and shoot:

And one with the new camera:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode