3Likes
  • 2 Post By MUTigers
  • 1 Post By MUTigers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

MUTigers 40Breeder

Hi all!

We started our planted tank journey a few weeks ago, so I thought this might be a good time to get our journal started!

Oct 9-13, 2016
We purchased a 40 breeder and used pine stand from our LFS. Then ordered basic test kits, filtration, light, and other basics from amazon. Two driftwood pieces were purchased from another LFS.

Oct 13, 2016
Everything arrived today so we decided to get the hard scape done and put water in the tank. One piece of drift wood still floats (the other is attached to slate).

Oct 15, 2016
We have been dosing stability, so today we bought our first plants and fish. We plan to only plant the left side of the tank for now, until the other piece of drift wood sinks. We have anubius Nana narrow leaf and foxtail (I think). Current fish are 8 harlequin rasbora.

Oct 18, 2016
Added 24 neon tetras today!

Oct 28, 2016
We boiled the driftwood a few days ago and finally got it to sink, so today we added more plants. Crypt Wendtii, amazon sword, and crypt ludea.

FTS:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Overall tank specs:

40 breeder
Hardscape: driftwood
Substrate: BDBS (love it!)
Lighting: Finnex planted+ 24/7 (on 24/7 mode)
Filtration: Penn Plax Cascade 1200
Flora: Anubius Nana Narrowleaf, Foxtail, Amazon sword, Crypt Wendtii, and Crypt Lutea
Fauna: 8 harlequin rasbora, 24 neon tetra

Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IntotheWRX and Brian Rodgers like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

good progress. love the swarm of neon tetras. i would prob suggest getting purigen to help with the cloudy water.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
good progress. love the swarm of neon tetras. i would prob suggest getting purigen to help with the cloudy water.

Thanks!

I've been wondering about the purigen. I'll have to mention it to my husband. He handles most of the filtration stuff.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

That plant in the back left looks like Cabomba Furcata (Purple fanwort)
I just bought a bunch for my tank with the green version (Cabomba caroliniana) as well. Cool stuff!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:02 AM
Algae Grower

I bought purigen about a week ago and in 2 days my water was crystal clear. its astounding stuff and would highly recommend it.
i used the bag sold by sechem called "The Bag" and put about 250ml in it and threw it in my canister filter (eheim 2215)

if you get a different substrate bag make suure its holes are small enough, the one sold by seachem is 180 micron.

or just buy them pre bagged by the 100 ml
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_beard View Post

I just bought a bunch for my tank with the green version (Cabomba caroliniana) as well. Cool stuff!

You might be right! It was very new (and sold out fast) at the LFS when we got it. The guy couldn't remember the exact name at the time but was thinking it started with an "m", hence us thinking it is myrio. Either way it is growing like crazy, at least a couple inches since we planted it, and putting off babies. And it has turned more pink on top, which of course thrills our 5yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stephens View Post
I bought purigen about a week ago and in 2 days my water was crystal clear. its astounding stuff and would highly recommend it.

i used the bag sold by sechem called "The Bag" and put about 250ml in it and threw it in my canister filter (eheim 2215)

if you get a different substrate bag make suure its holes are small enough, the one sold by seachem is 180 micron.

or just buy them pre bagged by the 100 ml

Thanks! We'll look into it!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

Seeing your planted tank from the beginning looks like you all are having a whole lot of fun.

Brian Rodgers
Fish and plants
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New Update!

November 3, 2016

Tonight we added 3 amano shrimp, 6 nerite snails, 2 bunches of Rotala Indicia, and a moss ball. Everyone seems pretty happy!

We're still planning to add cherry red shrimp, maybe more amanos, corries, and gouramis.

Rotala Indicia:

New FTS:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_beard View Post

And yes, you are correct! It is a cabomba. Our LFS sells out almost as soon as they get it, every time. It has colored up well in our tank and grown probably 3 inches in less than 3 weeks.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:26 AM
Algae Grower

They say when it settles in it should grow an inch a day!
I also read that when it's time for a trim, to pull the bottom and replant the top. I haven't gotten that far yet, though. Looking good!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We added more shrimp last night! Cherries have been really tough to find around here, so when we found them we got 25! The LFS hasn't even unpacked them, so they basically came straight fro. The supplier. As of this morning we lost one, but that's to be expected. Several came berried, so hopefully we start seeing some babies in the next month or so!

mizzoutank likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode