LGD's 75g Amazon inspired blackwater - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
I'm liking it, fish must be happy, get your catfishes's some buddies but don't over do it.
Glad you like!

Friends for cats? A dozen cories aren't enough?
Or are you talking about the plecs? It's in the plans. At least for the Colombian. The clown is a little older, so I'm somewhat leery of getting some more.

And the Raphael, well,I'd like to not have to worry about including the new ones in my will. I might have to do that with this one, and I'm only in my 40s!
StrungOut and Brian Rodgers like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Some updates, found two baby cories, but couldn't get pics, they really dive into the leaves. The plants have been getting holes in the leaves, I'm hoping it's a potassium deficiency, and not the snails eating them. So I picked up some potassium and have flourish complete. I'm going to begin dosing small increments, I get enough nitrogen and phosphorus from the fish waste and leaves deteriorating. Also, the Frogbit hasn't been doing too good, not sure if it's low nutrients or physical conditions, so I'm going to try some floating pennywort as a surface cover.

Some pics:

Cardinal

Emperor

Caught this pond snail with its mouth open
johnson18 and Opare like this.
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looking good!
I just set up an amazon blackwater biotopish tank myself. I have a harem of apisto agassiziis now and a small school of hatchets. Got all my leaf litter and pods from Scott @ Tannin Aquatics as well!

Are you running rodi for the soft water? I'm pretty much identical to you hovering around 50 tds. Feel free to jump into my journal from time to time I'd love to trade ideas with you since not many of us are running tanks like this. My tank is super dark from the tannins too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Looking good!
I just set up an amazon blackwater biotopish tank myself. I have a harem of apisto agassiziis now and a small school of hatchets. Got all my leaf litter and pods from Scott @ Tannin Aquatics as well!

Are you running rodi for the soft water? I'm pretty much identical to you hovering around 50 tds. Feel free to jump into my journal from time to time I'd love to trade ideas with you since not many of us are running tanks like this. My tank is super dark from the tannins too.

Thanks!

Hey! Coincidentally, I was looking at your thread at lunch today. I'll make sure I subscribe and comment.

No rodi, my well water comes out around 35 and pH of 6.5. I know some backwater Purists will scoff at that, but the less work I have to do the better!

Yeah, we should definitely discuss our experiences, as it's close to not us on here with a botanical tank.
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Set my first one up yesterday and I'm loving it.

Just a noob

My 40b Journal
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Set my first one up yesterday and I'm loving it.
What plants are you going with, other than the Vals and swords you mentioned in your thread? Are you going with botanicals like bsantucci and me?
post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
What plants are you going with, other than the Vals and swords you mentioned in your thread? Are you going with botanicals like bsantucci and me?
Lmao, I just got finished ordering some stuff from Tannin Aquatics. Not sure on plants though other than what I currently have due to the fact it's lower light so options are limited. Cobomba and stargrass seem to be native but I don't think they will do well in lower light. I am running my co2 but have yet to figure out a dosing regimen.

Oh yeah, and I'm not so sure about adding snails or not.

Just a noob

My 40b Journal

Last edited by Nlewis; 01-04-2017 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Edit
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's. cool that you're getting stuff from Tannin. Like I said in the first post, it's been a nearly lifelong goal to have this tank set up, and Tannin Aquatics made it possible. Scott's a good guy, and has been very helpful to me.

One thing about the snails, my old tank was a low to mid tech/light setup. Fish were the focus, but I had really strong plant growth. In that tank, with water not too different, only a little more tds and pH was more like 6.7, I had moderate snail growth. In this tank, with less ideal conditions for snails, but with all that decomposing matter for them to munch on, the snails have gotten to the point that I think I need to do something about it, if they continue to grow in population.

I don't mind them at their current population, but still thinking about getting an assassin, or filling in the dwarf cichlid hole in the tank with a Laetacara species. They are supposed to be snail eaters, but not as much as a loach. I like he snails, I just want to make sure they stay in check.

I thought about star grass for this tank, but didn't want the hassle of stems.
post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
It's. cool that you're getting stuff from Tannin. Like I said in the first post, it's been a nearly lifelong goal to have this tank set up, and Tannin Aquatics made it possible. Scott's a good guy, and has been very helpful to me.

One thing about the snails, my old tank was a low to mid tech/light setup. Fish were the focus, but I had really strong plant growth. In that tank, with water not too different, only a little more tds and pH was more like 6.7, I had moderate snail growth. In this tank, with less ideal conditions for snails, but with all that decomposing matter for them to munch on, the snails have gotten to the point that I think I need to do something about it, if they continue to grow in population.

I don't mind them at their current population, but still thinking about getting an assassin, or filling in the dwarf cichlid hole in the tank with a Laetacara species. They are supposed to be snail eaters, but not as much as a loach. I like he snails, I just want to make sure they stay in check.

I thought about star grass for this tank, but didn't want the hassle of stems.
What's you gh? I threw some trumpet snails in my tank but half expected them to die cause of the lack of minerals in the rodi. I do want some snails in my tank too. If yours are thriving with no mineral content maybe I'll give it a shot.

post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
What's you gh? I threw some trumpet snails in my tank but half expected them to die cause of the lack of minerals in the rodi. I do want some snails in my tank too. If yours are thriving with no mineral content maybe I'll give it a shot.

I last checked GH and KH on 12/21 and Both were 1. TDS gets around 50 before a water change. The pH is now 6.0/6.1.
Definitely not snail friendly, but they seem to ignore the numbers. I occasionally throw in some calcium enhanced veggie sticks, but not with any regularity.

I've always kept softer water tanks, and never had a problem with trumpets. Other snails, yes, but never trumpets.
post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

You use straight rodi right? Where is the gh and kh coming from?

I have tons of snails so I'll just throw them in. Worst case their shells erode.

post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
You use straight rodi right? Where is the gh and kh coming from?

I have tons of snails so I'll just throw them in. Worst case their shells erode.

I use my well water. It comes out usually around pH 6.5, 35 tds, GH never more than , usually 2, varying by seasons. No KH. I think that may be coming from a rock, or maybe the sand I got from my local stream.

In my other tanks, the trumpets never had pointy shells. I guess the ends would break or erode off. But the rest of the shell was normal. Ramshorns and spixi had all kinds of erosion in the other tanks. In this tank, the trumpet shells are nice and pointy. I don't have any spixi, but the ramshorns are growing huge and clean. I don't understand.
post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I use my well water. It comes out usually around pH 6.5, 35 tds, GH never more than , usually 2, varying by seasons. No KH. I think that may be coming from a rock, or maybe the sand I got from my local stream.

In my other tanks, the trumpets never had pointy shells. I guess the ends would break or erode off. But the rest of the shell was normal. Ramshorns and spixi had all kinds of erosion in the other tanks. In this tank, the trumpet shells are nice and pointy. I don't have any spixi, but the ramshorns are growing huge and clean. I don't understand.
Hmm, I think the 0 gh/kh in my tank may be the cause of my issues after reading this. Thinking I may cut my tap in half with rodi and use that going forward. Should give me roughly 75tds and about 3gh/.5kh. Plus it's also a time consuming and wastes a lot of water to make 35-40 gallons of RODI weekly. My tap is really pretty good here, just a tad high on GH for my liking.

You have some natural GH there from your well, I wonder if that's the difference between our tanks.....
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hmm, I think the 0 gh/kh in my tank may be the cause of my issues after reading this. Thinking I may cut my tap in half with rodi and use that going forward. Should give me roughly 75tds and about 3gh/.5kh. Plus it's also a time consuming and wastes a lot of water to make 35-40 gallons of RODI weekly. My tap is really pretty good here, just a tad high on GH for my liking.

You have some natural GH there from your well, I wonder if that's the difference between our tanks.....
I dunno. It might not be just the water. Like I said, my other tank, with the same water, and less acidic, because I wasn't running the botanicals, the snails struggled. I think it's either a rock or the sand I collected that has something beneficial. I tend to think that if I eliminated the rock or sand, the snails would be struggling.

But still, you might be on to something with using some tap mixed in. After all, you're not trying to match the Rio Negro to each twig and copepod, so enjoy the blackwater, and get the water to a point to make all your livestock happy.
post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

So I've got some questions. What kind of schedule are you using for water changes? What are you doing to keep the tannins up? Are you consistently adding new leaves?

Just a noob

My 40b Journal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode