The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brian's 50 gallon 189 liter Low Tech Tank

5K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  Brian Rodgers 
#1 ·
Good morning!
I've only been doing an aquarium for three months and only palnted tank for a few weeks.
Water parameters
pH greater than 7.6. Next time we'll do the high range
NH3NH4 ammonia 0 to .25 PPM
NO2 nitrites 0 ppm
NO3 Nitrates between 40 ppm & 80 ppm Yikes!
temperature 74°F 23.33°C
Didn't test KH this time we'll do it next weekend.
https://youtu.be/P66IKIC-Z0g
Rocks are locally found Granite

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you @whonc Yes by the end of the week 12 water Spangles Salvinia Minima. Thursday I guess we'll do another WC of 15%. We didn't get to it today. Also on order and arriving this week Seachem Prime & Seachem Flourish. Also in there and growing slowly are Jungle Vallisneria Rooted Plants 1.5-2 Feet Tall - Easy Background Aquarium Plants

#5 · (Edited)
Update November 16th 2016

While on a WiFi tower job site in Las Vegas NM I found a bunch more of the black and white granite rocks I like for our aquarium build.I was surprised to find granite on the hill as it mainly occurs at higher elevations. I took advantage of my luck and picked out the thinnest and flattest rocks I could find. Yesterday we cleaned the tank removing all the rocks and the last of the plastic plants and vacuumed the substrate. I replaced the existing rock features using the newest rocks. Plants are doing well considering they are only a few months old.

#6 ·
Just gravel substrate for now, maybe quite a while, I don't know. I'm winging it.

Bump: Water parameters about the same, nitrates a bit high, did another 10 gallon water change this week. Will test it again this weekend. I do need more plants, but finances have diminished, so probably now for a while. The Jungle Vallisneria is doing well as is the Ludwigia Repens.

#8 ·
Ludwigia Peruensis and Cryptocoryne Wendtii added 1-10-2017

We received our plants Ludwigia Peruensis and Cryptocoryne Wendtii this afternoon.
To begin I washed river sand gravel which has been near the house in a pile for a few months. Actually I washed and repeated washing over a dozen times, until the water came out clear after extreme agitation. I then boiled the sand and gravel for ten minutes.
Next I vacuumed the existing gravel substrate.
Brought the clean sand and gravel up to tank temperature; 75°F (23.8°C)
Gently added the sand and gravel to the right side of the tank where I want to plant most of the plants. Probably around 5# (2.26kgs) in that corner.
We had three bunches of each and all looked to be in pretty good condition upon arrival. I pruned leaves back to mostly newest leaves were left.
It was a little murky after the sand so I sat down for 20 minutes to play solitaire on the computer.
We discussed that we do not have an extra tank to keep excess plants alive in case something happens to these. We planted them all and feel great about this decision.
We removed another ten gallons of tank water and setup the oxygenation station to see if this keeps the pH from spiking. This is one of the ideas I have read about doing research on planted tanks. Thank you all.

Attachments

#11 ·
I've heard the plecos can be a lot of work on a planted tank. I have 6 corys (sterbai) with eco-complete. They have not done too much "damage", but any newly planted stem/small ground cover is at risk as they root around for food. I think this is more of an issue with eco-complete and the plants being new with not much hold yet.

#13 ·
Tank update.

Everything seems to be going well in our community tank.
Does anyone know how to get image names to show? I create image names as descriptions, it's sad to not see them.
I'm also working on a new air-lift pump for our 2600 gallon tank. So far I haven't got the thing to work. I have another air-lift pump in the bottom of the big tank called a SLO or solids uplift outflow. That one works. This one will be attached to the skimmer. I think it is a water lever issue. I'll be working that out today. Yesterday I tried adding a venturi to the air lift pump. That didn't get the water to flow either. I wonder if the plumbing needs to rise higher than the filter instead of going in just below the water lever in the radial flow filter? The water levels in the barrel filters are the same height as the fish tank. The sump is 3 feet lower, the media grow beds are all above and pumped into from the sump. I hope that made sense. Let me know what you think or if you need more information.

Attachments

#14 ·
Boy howdy a Brand New Matala L60 air pump for my birthday!!

Boy howdy a Brand New Matala L60 air pump for my birthday!!

New-Air-pump-Matala-L60-Installed-PEX-2.jpg [ 130.69 KiB |

We found a wonderful aquatics shop in Santa Fe NM today. Oasis Aquatic Services - your Pond Fountain and Waterfall Proffesional Builder in Santa Fe, New Mexico - Oasis Aquatic Services - The Best Ponds Fountains and Waterfalls in Santa Fe and all of New Mexico
New-Air-pump-Matala-L60-Installed-PEX-through-wall-three-quarters-inch.jpg [ 127.56 KiB |

Michael was super knowledgeable and helpful. We'll go back again, for certain. :D
New-Air-pump-Matala-L60-Installed-outside-againPEX.jpg [ 114.46 KiB |

I changed the pipe size to coincide with the large outflow pipe on this powerful air pump. The vinyl pipe was ~3/8ths" now it is 3/4s" and PEX. The 3/4" PEX feeds a tee with two 1/2" PEX pipes which lead over to the Filter area and branch out. I had to turn everything on to handle the large quantity of air coming from this pump. Nice huh?
New-Air-pump-Matala-L60-Installed-PEX-bigger-PEX.jpg [ 68.39 KiB |

Also the unglued PVC from the new SLO blew apart from the extra pressure.Flooded the floor of the greenhouse in a manner of minutes :oops:

Air-pump-Matala-L60-Holy-crap-that-is-a-bunch-of-air.jpg [ 96.68 KiB |

Speaking of leaks I better go check on it. See ya!

Attachments

#16 ·
2600 gallon tank pics

I can't believe I haven't bragged on our big tank here:surprise:

Bump:

Bump: My honey pie has gone up to Kenton OK. to hang out and work with her sister Susan Cogar for a week. She has only been away for a day and I'm already missing her something fierce. Home just feels empty and lifeless. I think I better make my own Nell's Honey-do list so I can keep moving forward. I bought stuff to continue to work on the bedroom new rooms, but it is cold out there. I could seal it in better. What it needs is the soffit and fascia finished or begun, I guess. But that's outside where it is even colder and windier. To be honest with myself I just want to do fun indoor projects.

Cold day possibilities "List"
1: aquarium ongoing maintenance- water tests. I need to see if setting the water from the well for twenty minutes with a bubbler and Seachem Prime water detoxifier in it is helping to get the pH down. I want to pick a new Pleco for our aquarium and most need water with a pH in the range of 6.0 to 7.5. Ours has been more like 8.2 which is too base.
Other considerations are water temperature and flow rate needs to match our Gourami happy place: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+882+974&pcatid=974
Some Plecos live in streams with rapid water flow. Some are still water catfish which I believe is what I need to keep them in a community tank. The Dwarf Gourami (from wickipedia) The dwarf gourami is native to Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. However, it has also been widely distributed outside of its native range. It inhabits slow-moving waters in rivulets, streams and lakes, occurring in areas with plentiful vegetation.
Plecos can be nocturnal so that's boring.
Here's the deal though; there are so many types of Plecos suitable for 50 gallon aquariums such as ours they had to give them numbers as well as the scientific names.
Apparently each type of Pleco is different. Some are plant eaters, some like to dig which disturbs the substrate in a planted tank.
Some of these beautiful Plecos like moving water http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+837+1040&pcatid=1040
I like the Bristle-nose Plecos as well but they are from south America whereas the Gourami are from Asia. I still don't know if that matters, except to an aquarium enthusiast wanting regional fish together.
nevertheless, I want polka doted or striped Pleco> I know I'm weird.
It's a good thing I'm not in a hurry to get a pleco, because damn there is so much information out there; it'll take me forever to read it all. Smiles.

Attachments

#17 ·
Good evening.
After water parameters tests showed 20 to 40 PPM of nitrate, I decided to do a major clean up. Ammonia 0 ppm Nitrites 0 ppm and a whopping 8.4 pH.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=715730&thumb=1
January-26th-2017-cleaned-all-rocks-made-more-caves-water-change-2.jpg
After removing all the rocks and cleaning them in a .5% bleach soak. What I'm attempting is more caves and a just something different and hopefully entertaining to the fish as well as us.
January-26th-2017-cleaned-all-rocks-made-more-caves-south-side.jpg
I don't know if you can tell I'm enjoying this new hobby immensely.
January-26th-2017-cleaned-all-rocks-made-more-caves-center.jpg

January-26th-2017-cleaned-all-rocks-made-more-caves-south-side-2.jpg

Tomorrow I'll retest the water parameters and see if the nitrate ppm is less.

Attachments

#18 ·
Hey Brian,
I think the main thing your tank needs is more plants.
At least temporarily, get some easy fast grow plants that will help
Suck up excess nutrients and start to balance out things in
The tank. Then you will get to the point where you are adding nitrates, instead of trying to remove them!

Keep going!

DougN

#19 · (Edited)
Water Tests after cleaning and changing out 20 gallons of tank water yesterday (01-26-2017)
pH 8 which is 2 or 3 point closer to neutral
Nitrates tested twice today 10 to 20ppm. Still high, I'll do another water change soon.

Bump: Thanks @doug105! It is getting there, slowly as we're not doing cO2. Is it possible I am adding Seachem Flourish too often @ 1/2 to 1 cap-full twice per week?

#20 ·
We're donating six fish to Petco today. We called the store and they have a fish adoption area. We'll give them all 3 Three Spot Gourami, 2 of the 3 Dwarf Gourami and the Silver Dollar. I didn't know the Three spot Gourami weren't dwarfs and they are too large for the tank. The Silver Dollar is a schooling and large fish and needs to be with other Silver Dollars. We love the Gourami, but we're learning they are quite territorial and will as they mature become aggressive toward other Gourami. We'll keep one Flame DG increase the population of Otos to 7 from 2. We now have a school of 11 Black Skirt Tetras. We've been advised to try a Bolivian Ram Cichlid as our centerpiece fish.
Attachment:
[​IMG]
mikrogeophagus_ramirezi_07.jpg [ 63.76 KiB | Viewed 23 times ]
We netted them last night so we would need to spend the time today. I am glad we did because it was tough. I had to remove the hardscape and even then I disrupted many plants. I think the fish got tired and scared after a while and I had better luck netting them. I have them in a five gallon bucket with an air stone. For the 2 hour trip to Santa Fe I will have a solar powered air pump in there. The aquarium feels empty, well not empty there are still 11 Black Skirt Tetras in there. The Gourami were quite entertaining. We decided to keep the second largest Flame DG as it was in the best shape. No more Three Dots:(. Today we'll look at the LFSs for a Bolivian Ram. I understand that with the Bolivian Rams I should have one, or a pair with a male and female.
I hope this reduction helps our plants live longer. I've seen the Gourami pick leaves off our plants. Thank you for all the help.

Attachments

#21 ·
I've added two more plants Egeria Densa as a background plant. Red Flame (Echinodorus red flame) for a mid level plant.

New-plants-Anacharis-Flame-Sword-March-2nd-2017-2.jpg
These two plants I hope will fill in the south (left) side of aquascape.

New-plants-Anacharis-Flame-Sword-March-2nd-2017.jpg
This community of fish appears to more relaxed in their overall behavior.

Bolivian-Ram-new-world-Chichlid-March-2nd-2017.jpg
Clearly I need to learn how to photograph our aquarium life. Although the Bolivian Ram has more color in these images than I see under the Beamswork LED.

Bolivian-Ram-new-world-Chichlid-March-2nd-2017-vertical.jpg
Anywho, we're both super satisfied with the changes y'all recommended, thank you so much.

I don't know how to remove a photo so here is one of me working in our other fish tank.

Attachments

#23 ·
You got yer flows all wrong Mister Wizard!

My latest youtube video.
https://youtu.be/Xzva0UL3OHw

We've had our 50 gallon aquarium since July of 2016. We have gotten a lot of help along the way. Thank you all! March 2nd 2017 we added more plants after rehoming four Gourami we're hopeful these smaller fish will let the plants grow better.
Today, March 3rd 2017 I removed the hoses to our Fluval 306 canister filter, cleaned them and changed the flow in the tank.
The flow was set to stream across the front of the tank. The outflow fro the tank was in the back corner of the opposite side. What I now have learned about are some of the advantages of creating a circular flow as much as is possible in a rectangular tank. The other change to flow is the inflow to the tank now sits near the surface for better oxygenation. I believe this is why I am not seeing air bubblers in the aquascaped tanks I admire. Ditch one air pump!
The new plant additions are Red Flame Sword (the biggest leaves) and a plant I've equated to aquariums since I was a child fish keeper Egeria densa.

#24 · (Edited)
Does Disturbing The Surface Provide Enough Oxygen?

Good morning!
I'm continually playing in my aquarium, which I love and have the time for these days.
The latest changes in our planted non-CO2 50 gallon tank pH 7.6 ammonia 0ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 20 ppm five Pepper Corys, five Otos, 11 Black Skirt Tetras one Dwarf Gourami and one Bolivian Ram.
I went with an open top for this tall narrow tank (12"x18"x48".) I did this because I want more light from our Beamsworks LED. Next purchase will be a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller ~$150.00. I hadn't mentioned this to my wife yet so... It'll have to wait a while.

The other change I've made is removing the air stones after rearranging the inflow and outflows so they are on one end of the tank creating as much circular motion as possible in this long tall tank.
New-flow-layout-front-March-5-2017.jpg

The original outflow J pipe now disturbs the surface instead of being halfway from the bottom of the tank.

New-flow-layout-March-5-2017.jpg It looks and sounds like a lot of disturbance. My question is, will this provide enough oxygenation for this fish load?
Also, will more CO2 from the living-room be exchanged with the aquarium water with this style of flow?
thank you in advance. Do I need a proper spray bar to accomplish oxygenation?

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Water parameters 3/11/2017
pH 7.6 (maxed)
High range pH 8.4
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Dosing 3/4 cap-full Seachem Flourish every other day.
No CO2 Within the last 7 days the air bubbler was removed, I also moved the outflow from the Fluval 605 near the top of the aquarium which creates turbulence
1- Red Flame Sword plant. 5- Egeria Densa. 7 - Cryptocoryne Wendtii. 3 - Ludwigia Peruensis. 4 - Ludwigia Repens - 2 - Jungle Vallisneria.
11 Skirt Tetras 5 - Otos. 5 - Pepper Corydoras paleatus. 1 - DG Flame. 1 - German Ram Mikrogeophagus ramirezi
Maybe I need to redo the Nitrite & Nitrate tests Those number seem kind of odd.
With the flow from the Fluval 605 now near the surface of this tank and the air bubbler removed: I filled the test tubes (to the line) just away from the inflow. Or is the water nearer to the inflow from the canister filter okay to use in the API tests?

Attachments

#27 ·
Thank you on the sexing of German Blue

Thank you so much. I've started a note book for the warehouse of knowledge and tips from here. :nerd:
Water parameters 3/15/2017
High Range pH 8 (maxed)
High range pH 8.4
Ammonia .25 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Dosing 3/4 cap-full Seachem Flourish every other day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.