New 65G High Tech - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Waters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New 65G High Tech

Wanted to show my new tank (has been set up for almost a month) to get some feedback on how it looks so far. This is my first planted tank so I researched for months prior to setting it up. Please ignore the rock sitting inside of the driftwood...even though it soaked for almost a month, it still tries to raise up. I do not have any fish as of yet....not sure what to put in there as my main schooling fish. Any suggestions?

Tank
DSA 65G 36X20X21 with center overflow.

Lighting
2 Finnex Planted +24/7 (one running on Max and one running in 24/7 mode which shuts off at 9:00pm)
1 Finnex Planted + FugeRay
Is this too much lighting for what I have in the tank? If so, I can dim the second 24/7 light or put it into 24/7 mode like the other.

Filtration
Eshopps WD-75DS Wet Dry

CO2 System
U.P. Aqua Regulator
Sera 500 Reactor

Substrate
3.5 bags of ADA Aquasoil

Plants
Eleocharis Acicularis
Eleocharis Parvula
Echinodorus 'Indian Red'
Anubias Nangi
Ludwigia Glandulosa
Hygro Corymbosa 'Siamensis'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1219.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	682761  

Name:	IMG_1220.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	682769  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

Nice set up so far. I love the rainbows but they can be quite costly! If you decide to go that route Roseline17 on aquabid has some of the nicest rainbows you've ever seen, have some from him that grown into beautiful fish. My two cents is that you generally want to break up the background with at least one other variety with some height, something to cover that overflow. That corymbosa in the back will grow like a weed and you'll be cutting it nonstop, at least that's been my experience. The stalks get thick and the bottom leaves fall off and then they become very tree like, mine were breaking the surface of the water every week. From what I've read you can keep trimming back the tops to encourage more leafy growth but I never got around to it. Are you dosing micros and macros?

Jack of all trades.... ... .. . master of none.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishrooster View Post
Nice set up so far. I love the rainbows but they can be quite costly! If you decide to go that route Roseline17 on aquabid has some of the nicest rainbows you've ever seen, have some from him that grown into beautiful fish. My two cents is that you generally want to break up the background with at least one other variety with some height, something to cover that overflow. That corymbosa in the back will grow like a weed and you'll be cutting it nonstop, at least that's been my experience. The stalks get thick and the bottom leaves fall off and then they become very tree like, mine were breaking the surface of the water every week. From what I've read you can keep trimming back the tops to encourage more leafy growth but I never got around to it. Are you dosing micros and macros?
I briefly looked at the Rainbows but figured they would get too big for a large school? I will take a look at them again. I have a large reef tank also so I am used to expensive fish unfortunately lol. Regarding the background plants, it is hard to tell because I just cut and replanted them but the red Ludwigia Glandulosa in the center will hopefully eventually grow as tall as the corymbosa and fill the entire back in. The only dosing I am doing right now is Flourish once or twice a week. I am also doing large water changes once a week. Should I be dosing anything else?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wanted to post an update to this tank....overall, everything seems to be going pretty well. No major issues so far....both the lawn and the background plants have really taken off. I did recently replace the center plants with Limnophila aromatica...hopefully those will take off and fill in the center section about 1/3 of the way up. Anything that you would change? I am open for any suggestions for improvement :-)

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	696546  

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:07 PM

Beautiful! Are you still using the 2 Finnex 24/7 lights and have you modified your light setting or kept it the same. I considering the same lighting setup in my tank and am curious on your thoughts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oralsturgeon View Post
Beautiful! Are you still using the 2 Finnex 24/7 lights and have you modified your light setting or kept it the same. I considering the same lighting setup in my tank and am curious on your thoughts.
Thanks :-) I am still running the two 24/7s in addition to the FugeRay Planted+. The two 24/7s are now running in 24/7 mode on a timer, coming on at 6 and shutting off at 8:30. The FugeRay planted+ comes on at 3:30 and shuts off at 5:45....it is used to extend the high light period of the 24/7s which I believe is too short. I could have kept one of the 24/7 lights on Max but I like the light changes of the 24/7 mode too much to not use it....which is why I am using the third light. I can decrease or increase the duration of that light without losing my sunrise to sunset lighting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode