#1 · (Edited)
Tank Specs:
37 gallon with black silicone
24" fishneedit 4x24w T-5 HO 6700k
Pressurized CO2- GLA Regulator with 10 CO2 tank
Inline Reactor
Eheim 2217
60 LBS Eco-Complete
200W Inline Heater (Still need to buy it)

Flora:
UG
Blyxa Japonica
Jungle Vals

Fauna:
2 German Blue Rams
20 Harlequin rasbora
3 otos

This is my first real attempt at a planted tank. I have been running a 29 gallon for a year now and all it had was plants and eco complete but nothing special. I will be taking apart a 48" light fixture that is 2x65 and 1x36 and making it into just 2x65. I don't know much about lighting so my dad is gonna help me out(only 15:icon_roll). I ordered a GLA Regulator and a co2 inline diffuser and i should be getting it this week. The tank right now is running DSM with only 30w of T8 for 12 hrs a day. The DHG Is growing in nicely and im gonna let it grow untill the foreground is pretty much done. The tank is gonna have a simple layout with only 3 kinds of plants. I have my 29 gallon up right now and I have the 2 koi angels in the tank untill i can get the 37 going. I still need to order Dry ferts and a nice pieace of manzanita DW. Im still collecting some items but i should be golden before july 4. Ill update with pictures really soon. Hopefully you will enjoy my journal. Tips appreciated on stocking. I want a schooling fish with my angels.

First time posting pictures, so if it doesnt show up, tell me!

I bought the tank, stand,canopy, 2 glass tops, cascade 1000 for 100 bucks. Imo its a pretty good deal, but i had to make my dad drive me 1.5 hours to pick it up. He wasn't to happy about it.

I update this page if i change any of the equipment,fish or plants.

See less See more
#4 ·
depends on how big the koi are. and how big the cardinals are. Colorwise my kois go well with black and white fish, such as black neons, emperor tetras or the like. It brings the eye to concentrate on the school as a whole, and then brings you right back to the beautiful coloration of the kois. With a cleanup crew, I would go same route, oto's and amanos (depending again on the size of your angels) as to keep the uniform drab effect strong.
CANT WAIT TO SEE PICS!!!!

#7 ·
It sounds like it will be pretty nice. I would go with either Cardinal Tetras or Whitecloud Mountain minows. They are both nice fish. I use the mountain minows in my tank with angels and they do great they are very pretty fish and really inexpensive. Look forward to the updates.

#15 · (Edited)
Just as promised, pictures of regulator, angelfish, reactor. Enjoy! I also decided on running an eheim 2217 on this tank. Still need a brass permaseal, dry ferts, blyxa japonica,DW, and inline heater. Other then that, im all set.

Angelfish- Not the best pictures but here they are =D:

Regulator
:

Reactor: dont know how this works, but Ill need advice on how it works.

#16 ·
Where do you get your Co2 tank hydro tested? Im gonna go to a co2 welding shop that swaps but my tank was last tested in 1992 so i need to get that done. Should i call ahead and ask the welding shop on the expired tank? Or should i just take it to a place and get it hydro tested.

#17 ·
it's been my experience that fire equipment companies are considerably cheaper than going to a welding shop. i'd try calling around there first. it might be cheaper to swap the tank for another full one in your case. you'll know the best deal for you once you've made some calls.

#20 ·
DHG is growing very good. I'm gonna have to do some DIY on this tank. Im gonna shorten the reactor by 4-6" since its 2 feet long right. I'm also wondering if I can mount the reactor vertical or horizontal? I also have to turn a 4' 2x65 fixture with one cord into 2' with 1 cord for each bulb. My dad will help me so ill get some pictures of the progress. Still need to order Dry ferts, Drop Checker, 200w inline heater, manzanita wood. If you have any of these i can trade a cascade 1000 and i have alot of air pumps and books. Thanks for reading!

#23 ·
Also, i got my co2 tank swapped for a 10 LB. but they told me it was a 20. Could they have overfulled the tank? Its 20 inches tall so i think its a 10. Also can i test the regulator if i dont have bubble counmter fluid in? The regulator is all set except i need bubble counter fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.