The Planted Tank Forum banner

I started my very first Aquascape, please critique and advice!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  IntotheWRX 
#1 ·
I've finally started my first aquascape last night after lurking this subreddit, researching/watching Youtube videos, and collecting material for the past month or so. There were some things that seemed a bit over whelming. Co2 vs Non-Co2, submerge vs emerge, all the different types of substrates and supplements, etc. I went with what i thought was very basic and hope the outcome will be a lush carpet. Here's an album from last night/this morning.

• Tank - Fluval Edge 6g

I've heard this tank is a pain to maintain but i'm going to give it a try. Tank opening is covered with plastic wrap for DSM.

From what I read, the stock LED for the Edge are incredibly weak, and I've researched that these bulbs with this temperature/watt will be able to do the trick for growth. I have a second one to use too if needed. Please critique.

• Substrate - ADA Aquasoil / Petco's white sand for "road"

From what I read, the premium price of the ADA Aquasoil has the nutrients needed. I have other things I may have accidentally purchased because I decided to go the DSM afterwards, not sure if they will need to come into play later. Seachem Flourish Tabs 10 Count, Plant pack fundamentals (contains flourish, flourish iron, flourish excel) Dosing?

• Plant - Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'

Plants were purchased off ebay, they arrived last Friday but I have not had time to start the project so I left them in the bag they arrived with some mist water until last night (some leaves look a bit dead) Just starting out with this to fully carpet, possibly adding different plants later after I fill the tank with water.

• * Hardscape - Seiryu Rocks

These were cleaned with a bucket of water and a splash of beach, rinsed throughly and dried in the sun a week ago.

Questions
==

1. Do I have enough water in my tank for the DSM?
2. Is my lighting equipment sufficient for the DSM? Should I add a second 6500k bulb?
3. After the plant has carpeted enough to be submerged and "finish," would I be able to use the Fluval edge light alone to just keep the plants alive (possibly upgrade to the 42 led light). I'd like to keep the tank look minimal as possible.
4. I also plan to build out a paintball Co2 system once the plants are submerged, wondering if this is even needed if I am doing the DSM?
5. What are the daily/weekly/monthly routines that should be considered? My understanding is that it is pretty low- maintenance from here. Open the cover to allow Co2 to enter once or twice a day, mist the plants once a week or when the plants appear a bit dry.

Please critique and feedback is appreciated.
--

See less See more
#2 ·
looks cool. the fluval edge tank def looks cool. The light on it is pure weak sauce. adding the extra light is a good idea. take some time into looking into a light upgrade. Adding CO2 would be highly recommended. i would say paintball co2 tank is best bang for the buck. go for it. I did dry start method also. It's better to keep it more wet than dry. They suppose to sit underwater anyways. My grass turned a little yellow on the areas that didnt get as much water. look out for that. just mist it everyday. give it a lot patience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.