Ranbaral: 12g long, Iwagumi on a budget - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 71
OK, I just notice what you paid for the Eheim. Please tell me you got that Eheim at a LFS and not somewhere online...or else I'm going to bang my head on the keyboard. XD

You should go for moss you find most pleasing, but if you still can't decide then ditch the Java moss, nothing common allowed in there.

Dara is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 255
Looks like your off to a great start. Subscribing for sure.
I agree with the above post about the java moss. Tank deserves something a bit more elegant.
jball1125 is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Quote:
If you are looking for the Coralife 36" T5NO dual bulb fixture, here are a couple of options:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight36

I bought mine on Ebay from the seller 'big-edge'. He does not have any listed right now, but you could try to contact him.

Good luck!
Mark
Thanks, I actually wanted the single light strip. Double I did find a few of, no idea why single is so difficult. I did eventually find one, but it was more $ than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara View Post
OK, I just notice what you paid for the Eheim. Please tell me you got that Eheim at a LFS and not somewhere online...or else I'm going to bang my head on the keyboard. XD

You should go for moss you find most pleasing, but if you still can't decide then ditch the Java moss, nothing common allowed in there.
I'm pretty sure I have the opposite of a green thumb (brown thumb?), so keeping the java moss alive will be a task onto itself. That said, I am strongly considering throwing some HC or Riccia in there. Just for kicks, as I know the odds are stacked against me given my setup. Also, the Eheim was bought off ebay for a reasonable price, otherwise I would've gone with an aquaclear.

Speaking of thumbs, I got the tube stuck on the shut off valve on the Eheim, and in frustration attacked it with a pair of scissors. Bad idea, as I'm clumsy and I stabbed myself in the thumb. I ran around in a panic trying to find a band-aid, all the while my thumb was gushing (really, this was the worst injury I've gotten in years). Hope I have my tetanus shots.

Anyhow, after lying down for a couple minutes (I have self injury phobia or something), I finally fixed and installed the flow tubes. Not sure if I'm creating any dead spots. Also, that huge rock formation on the left takes up 1/2 of the width of the tank at least. Don't know if there will be flow problems. Maybe if I keep the outflow above the tip of the rock? Is that a good idea? No experience with any of this stuff.

Ranbaral is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,055
Oh no! I hope it doesn't hurt too bad. Tetanus vaccines are good for 10 years.

So when are the plants going in? Why did you change the hardscape again? I actually like either one though. Those stones are definitely nicely shaped
Amazonfish is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonfish View Post
Oh no! I hope it doesn't hurt too bad. Tetanus vaccines are good for 10 years.

So when are the plants going in? Why did you change the hardscape again? I actually like either one though. Those stones are definitely nicely shaped
I'm trying hard to remember my last Tetanus shot. I might get another, just to be safe. I am insanely paranoid when it comes to things like this.

I did change the hardscape, this time so that the tank is neater. I figure if I'm going to plant moss or whatever, it would be a pain to have rocks sticking out every which way. At least there is a large open space now.
Ranbaral is offline  
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
ZooTycoonMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Santa Clara, California
Posts: 3,742
The very front and back right corner may have some dead spots, but I'm not sure.

Sorry if you mentioned this before, but what are you planning to plant in the tank?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
The very front and back right corner may have some dead spots, but I'm not sure.

Sorry if you mentioned this before, but what are you planning to plant in the tank?
Probably some moss/fissidens and/or HC.
Ranbaral is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 22
So...HC in a low tech tank? The consensus seems mixed (HC is a high light plant, blah blah blah), however I've been doing some heavy nerd research. The following appears to work with the least amount of effort/cost on my part.

The revised substrate/methodology:

1. Per Diane Walstad's method, add a one inch layer of Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Mix below the Floramax. I believe the Floramax is inert, but is a good source of iron. The Miracle-Gro will provide macro/micro nutrients. This appears to be a poor man's aquasoil, and because of this the need to add additional fertilizers isn't required in a low light setting. I'll throw in some fish after the tank is cycled so that the fish poo can act as a continued source of ferts.
2. Per Tom Barr's method, plant HC heavily (I have ten pots coming in) emersed for a few weeks. After the roots have developed and the HC is where I want it to be, I'll flood the tank and throw in some fast growing floating plants like Wisteria to hold off the algae. I fully expect the HC to grow either slowly or not at all in a low tech setting. HOWEVER, as long as it stays alive, I will consider it a success.
3. Add Flourish excel initially to smooth the transition from emersed to submersed, then try to gradually wean the plant off it.

This sounds like the best chance I have. Excited to get this started.
Ranbaral is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranbaral View Post
So...HC in a low tech tank? The consensus seems mixed (HC is a high light plant, blah blah blah), however I've been doing some heavy nerd research. The following appears to work with the least amount of effort/cost on my part.

The revised substrate/methodology:

1. Per Diane Walstad's method, add a one inch layer of Miracle-Gro Organic Potting Mix below the Floramax. I believe the Floramax is inert, but is a good source of iron. The Miracle-Gro will provide macro/micro nutrients. This appears to be a poor man's aquasoil, and because of this the need to add additional fertilizers isn't required in a low light setting. I'll throw in some fish after the tank is cycled so that the fish poo can act as a continued source of ferts.
2. Per Tom Barr's method, plant HC heavily (I have ten pots coming in) emersed for a few weeks. After the roots have developed and the HC is where I want it to be, I'll flood the tank and throw in some fast growing floating plants like Wisteria to hold off the algae. I fully expect the HC to grow either slowly or not at all in a low tech setting. HOWEVER, as long as it stays alive, I will consider it a success.
3. Add Flourish excel initially to smooth the transition from emersed to submersed, then try to gradually wean the plant off it.

This sounds like the best chance I have. Excited to get this started.
That sounds like a great plan, and is almost the same as my plan! I have the same tank (still in the planning and aquiring stages). The only thing I will do differently is use Aquasoil. Lots of HC initially, grown emersed for a bit, flood and dose Flourish at first. I will be watching your progress very intently!

Good luck,
Mark
bikeny is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 992
make sure you have a way to keep the floating plants in the back and not shading your HC. Obviously, if there's a danger of it not getting enough light in your setup, you don't want to let LESS light hit them.
jargonchipmunk is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 22
So here's the update. HC is here, light (sent me the wrong one! Solarmax T5 or something? 36'' 21w, but no mounting kit ) is here. I added about 1 inch of Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil and about 1-2.5 inches of Floramax. Maybe it should be more soil? The HC roots aren't tall enough to go into the soil, but water should have some of the nutrients from the soil. If the HC starts dying I'll tweak the substrate. Anyway here are pics:





It looks really nice right now...almost tempted to just leave it as a terrarium if the HC grows well. I don't think I'll be able to handle the possibility all this HC dying when I flood the tank.
Ranbaral is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 AM
CL
C-A-T-S
 
CL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 9,705
The only downside to terrariums like that is that the glass is always fogged up. Otherwise I'm sure that we'd be seeing a lot of empty aquariums around here

CL is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
defiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bumbai you learn
Posts: 392
i really like the way this tank came out. Ive been seeing quite a few of these mr. aqua tanks coming up. I just got mine and started getting all my equipment. Like everyone else im trying to stay low budget on mine. Good luck with the HC I'll be planting mine on Friday.
defiant is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Algae Grower
 
El Funko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 68
Looking for an update on this thread. I'm thinking of buying this tank, and finding a light that will work is a challenge... Got pictures of the current status?
El Funko is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 21
Smile

I am trying to do an Iwagumi setup with some driftwood. See pics. Would love to hear your tips and suggestions.
Thanks
If I use the centre method it will be placed up on a mound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	110034  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3865.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	110042  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3929.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	110050  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3942.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	110066  


Last edited by Ziabis; 03-21-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Adding text
Ziabis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome