'close encounters' JG's 40B - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Chris: Staurogyne will grow upwards if you let it. Check out Oliver Knott's post on 049G aka 'repens' There are some images in there of 11 months of undisturbed growth.
You just let it get to the height you want it and trim the tops, it tends to cluster like downoi throwing chutes off to the side. Another awesome thing about this plant is the slow controlled growth. As long as the tank is stable and you have no worries about algae on the older leaves its a no-brainer foreground plant.

Edit: to add that if you have it under strong enough lighting it will creep as opposed to growing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 AM
The Circumloctioner

Looking good, man!
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

totally dig it. nice!!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

thanks!!! I'll keep all of this in mind...I just need to make sure my tank is stable first

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
Chris: Staurogyne will grow upwards if you let it. Check out Oliver Knott's post on 049G aka 'repens' There are some images in there of 11 months of undisturbed growth.
You just let it get to the height you want it and trim the tops, it tends to cluster like downoi throwing chutes off to the side. Another awesome thing about this plant is the slow controlled growth. As long as the tank is stable and you have no worries about algae on the older leaves its a no-brainer foreground plant.

Edit: to add that if you have it under strong enough lighting it will creep as opposed to growing up.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
I'm kinda in limbo with lighting right now. The only thing for sure is I want the power compacts gone as soon as possible. My tanks that have T5HO or MH lighting just seem to have better more controlled growth at a lower wattage level.

Right now in my mind I'm toying with a few ideas that I've been having. I already have a 150W fishneedit fixture (electronic ballast, 8k bulb) running over my 29 gallon riparium. I'm considering bringing that tank down entirely or possibly switching it out with a 20 long. Either way I see myself as having a "spare" 150W MH right now. Easiest thing to do would just be to order a companion and hang them over the breeder. Too much light? Meh I'd like to hope with the height adjustment I could find a sweet spot. Besides the shimmer makes the ladies swoon.
I'm sure 2x70W would be a little better suited. It seems funny being cheap one post below forking out lots of loot for rocks. :P

If nothing else I know fishneedit is expecting delivery of their new model T5HO fixtures soon. I can always keep my fingers crossed on that. Who knows, I'm constantly crawling craigslist/ebay/etc for deals on Tek fixtures. I'm to the point now that I really just want to hang the fixtures on all my tanks. Makes maintenance faster, looks better, and the height adjustment is a huge selling point.
I with ya on the t5 or MH. The only reason I'd use anything else is if it what what was lying around. Given the choice I'd use t5 nearly every time, but I too swoon over the shimmer. Tough choice. You could always retro some t5's & use the 150 for a burst (& the shimmer)

I have a 175w MH over my 40b. I used it for a reef before & it's what I have to use right now. It's got a decent spread getting a little darker at the edges (2-3" each end) It's hanging 12" mid-bulb from the water. It should be higher, but that's where my canopy is at right now.
My point is that hung higher you'd get a much better spread, which I'm sure you know. I hang my reflector with wings left-right, not front-back. (Dunno what kinda reflector you have) It leaves a thin dark line middle of tank front to back, but gives the bigger spread like I was saying.
Have you tried hanging the 150 by itself to see how it looks?
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Roybot73: Nice to see ya around man. I really hope the interest isn't totally waning too bad. You have skills. I'd love to see an update on the crypt tank!

DirtyHermit: I tried the single 150W MH over the center probably a year ago and wasn't impressed at all. At minimum its probably going to give me 6 inches of dark spots in the top corners... which wouldn't be all bad since I'm going with all low growing sp of plants. Might give it a whirl again and see how it looks just for giggles.

As far as the tank its cruising along. The water is very slightly discolored at the moment due to the rinsing of the aquasoil I'm sure. This is going to be one of those layouts that will only need an update every few months as opposed to every few weeks. I like that... nice and slow.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I couldn't sleep in this morning which meant that I ended up mucking about in the tank room for a while. Took a few pics of the tank but not much has changed... Added a few new rocks in, few twigs of downoi, and a big wad of Fissidens 'geppi'. Kinda hard to tell the difference between this and 'fontanus' to me. Is there really one?

I set up a couple of lamps with different color temps to light the tank and came up with this odd looking pic that I thought was neat.
I did manage a pretty decent fts though. Time to sit back and watch this tank grow slowly. I'd imagine all thats really going to be required is some topping/replanting of the Rotala 'goais' in the middle. Still need to figure out some type of plant to put in the "rows" between the stones on the slope. there really isn't much substrate depth there to work with.
And then a few detail images
I only have 2 amano shrimp in the tank. A single male/female that have been with me through several tanks. Both are probably pushing 2+ years old now. They breed regularly so they must like each other. Too bad I don't have a brackish setup to make an attempt at raising the larvae.
Thats all for now. I'll make it a point to wait 4-6 more weeks for another update and give the Staurogyne a chance to fill in a bit. Thanks for looking!
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW! Very nice! It's a beautiful start, you've done an outstanding job, seems to be par for the course for you though, it was awesome before too.

About the single MH... All my plants wanna grow towards the single light source (good & bad) I'm thinking a more evenly spread light (or 2 like you said, love the MH's) would even the growth out.
I'm thinking a retro t5 (or 2 lol) would supplement nicely.
Very interested to see what you end up using.

Close-ups of the rock are super-sweet, giving me cavities haha
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome tank. can't wait to see the plants more filled in.

38gal. Tetras Forest.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1418057
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys!

Still just hanging back on the lighting... not really sure what I'm going to do.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

any updated pictures???
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I might be able to try to pop a few this weekend... but honestly not much has changed. The Rotala 'goias' in the middle has thickened up nicely but other than that you'll have to squint to notice any difference.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 AM
The Circumloctioner

4 months & no update.

Tsk, tsk.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 AM
ShrimpRetirement

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I've been caught! Meddling kids. :P

My summer months are rough on the hobby. Lots of extra hours at work and fun stuff to do outside when not working. I mean we all should be out camping/fishing/boating right? Hehe.

CO2 canisters empty, dosing is sporadic, trims and water changes fall off sharply.

On the plus side I know what Staurogyne 'repens' looks like after not being trimmed for a few months. Once it grows in enough it starts making the standard stem jaunt straight up. I had some 4-6 inches in length! Haha. Trimming things down again and its looking a little rough at the moment but I'll take a snap tomorrow since I don't care... and I'm off for election day.

This layout has taught me something already though... I'm not sure how to remedy it in the future. It seems that with the plant selection and stronger hardscape that there wasn't much to be done post planting other than maintenance trim work. Nothing dramatic about the tank is going to change as it sits due to the plants growing and maturing. Maybe I could expose a little more stone here or there with more severe hacking but all in all it is what it is. Feels like a failed execution. The stone just doesn't stand out enough or have enough impact in the layout. That might change with a different plant selection but I feel like something is in store somehow for this tank.

I've seen some nice wood pieces for sale lately and a few that I'd love to jump on... but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Oh yea... I have a 2x96W PC fixture on there now. Think I'd see much drop off at all if I went with a 2x39W T5HO fixture?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode