1ft Cube - Jungle Scape

25K views 93 replies 24 participants last post by  doylecolmdoyle 
#1 · (Edited)
Tank: 30cm Cube
lighting: 30cm Up Aqua LED light
Filter: Ehiem Aquacompact 40
Hardscape: Driftwood and seiryu stone
Substrate: ADA La Plata Big
Plants: Narrow leaf java fern, Java Fern Mini, Bolbitis, Anubias Nana, Anubias Nana Petite and maybe some Buce.

30CM Cube - Low Tech Aquarium by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

I set the tank up about 4 days ago, hoping to get this to grow into more of a jungle, this is my first low tech so not to sure what I am doing with these plants. But its been fun so far.

See less See more
#3 ·
I set the tank up about 4 days ago, hoping to get this to grow into more of a jungle, this is my first low tech so not to sure what I am doing with these plants. But its been fun so far.
This makes me really want to setup a low-tech for shrimp. Hah with the plants you are using you probably don't have to do much and they will do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Very true Opare, I am learning that! I added a few cherry shrimp and Darwin Algae Eating shrimp and they have cleaned up the fuzz and diatoms I was starting to get, still a bit of brown algae / diatoms around but I think the shrimp will feast for a few days!

#12 ·
Thanks mate, yes adding mature ferns is good but I find they tend to melt a bit. Yes all my recent photos have been with the 24mm cannon pancake lens, I really like it, cheap and compact but still nice sharp photos, I have been using a fairly high ISO of 800 as I cant be bothered setting up my tripod for my tank photos so they are a bit grainy

#23 ·
Try the Tropica 3 in 1 diffuser. It is a very decent ceramic diffuser. Also, you should place the diffuser as low as possible, to allow the CO2 to diffuse.

What is your fertilization routine? Going the Walstad route seems to not be your preference, what about Estimative Index? You could fine tune it to your tank. Are you doing weekly WC?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Thanks, Tropica isnt distributed in Australia, the little glass diffuser has actually stop making then hiss / squeak noise, because I am running co2 24/7 the bubble rate is less than 1bps more like 0.5bps the flow out of the diffuser never gets to the surface as its just 2 or 3 streams of micro bubbles which get blown from the filter around the tank, drop checker is staying a nice lime green, I have used this technique on my 2 other high tech tanks and has worked well to keep most algae at bay and the ph level nice and stable. Some ppl say it is a waste of co2 but when I was turning the co2 on a few hrs before light, I had to run a very high bubble count to get the 1 point ph drop, so basically I am using the same amount of co2 with the 24/7 method.

For ferts I use the EI method, but only dose to about half the recommended values, I dont have demanding plants in any of my tanks. This particular tank I was not really dosing much at all when low tech but I will ramp up the dosing now.

#28 ·
Thanks guys, I added 10 Celestial Pearl Danio's today, really nice fish! Hard to photograph tho, they are shy! In the photo below I managed to capture 3 in front of the buce plants

IMG_8099 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

#31 ·
Picked up a second hand Macro lens, tricky to focus on fish that dont want to stay still but I can see this lens being a favourite!

Here are some photos of the CPDs, they seem to be liking crushed up dry blood worms, they are not the biggest fans of the dry food I have for my boraras but I have ordered some other feed to try. They are getting a little more brave and when feeding today I am pretty sure all 10 came out to the front of the tank.

IMG_8454 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_8469 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_8521 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_8458 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.