One of Jeff's 75 "GoodBye Stems!" Small Update Last Page - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewesterngate View Post
Amazing, gorgeous, gah. My jaw dropped! The stems seem so close together, how do you keep them so lush? Last time I had a mountain of R. rotundifolia, it ended up melting where it got no light. This tank is amazing!
Lush? Plenty of CO2 and flow I guess. It can't be from a lot of light since I only use 2x54 T5HO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 AM
I ♥ BBA!

You need some Rotala Magenta in there. Grow it really nice and pretty, and then send it all to me. Seriously, your tank is definitely looking dutchish!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #18 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking very nice Jeff! How often to you pull up your rotala and replant the top after a trim? One critique I have.....the anubius I feel doesn't go with the layout or maybe it is just not in the right spot. Maybe if it was down lower along the bottom of the plant line....don't know.....just seems out of place with the other plants you have. I will say that it looks really healthy and as usual, your P. Stella is B-E-A-uuuuuutiful!

Current Tank Journals: 125 Dream~~~~
Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #19 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Looking very nice Jeff! How often to you pull up your rotala and replant the top after a trim? One critique I have.....the anubius I feel doesn't go with the layout or maybe it is just not in the right spot. Maybe if it was down lower along the bottom of the plant line....don't know.....just seems out of place with the other plants you have. I will say that it looks really healthy and as usual, your P. Stella is B-E-A-uuuuuutiful!

Mark, thanks. Yeah I know, the anubias has outgrown its spot. It was originally much smaller and placed farther back but it has grown quite a bit, not only in height but circumference also. It actually goes all the way from the front to the back of tank. You can't tell though because the erectum is growing up through it. The tank would look a lot more balanced if it weren't there and something more to scale was in its place but I've had it so long it has gotten to be a bit like a pet, lol.

As for the rotala I usually just top it. I've tried pulling it up once before and replanting the tops but it was such a mess. It takes a week or so after it's been topped for all the ugly tips to be replaced with new growth and then a couple of weeks after that it's ready to be trimmed again. Sometimes I let it go longer but if I do it gets way too big and really looks out of place, at least to me.
post #20 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
You need some Rotala Magenta in there. Grow it really nice and pretty, and then send it all to me. Seriously, your tank is definitely looking dutchish!
lol, I'll do that. 'Ish being the key part of the word .
post #21 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Algae Grower

what is that gray tube in top back of the tank? I'm just curious. Is that a spray bar?
post #22 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothSailor View Post
what is that gray tube in top back of the tank? I'm just curious. Is that a spray bar?
Two spray bars actually.
post #23 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Jeff....how do you keep your stems of rotala that you don't trim from losing all their leaves and dying off do to being blocked from the light? They look so healthy on the bottom. Mine tend to go bare and after about 3 trimmings, I have to uproot and replant the tops. I must be doing something wrong. All long has the original stems been in place?

Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #24 of 312 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Jeff....how do you keep your stems of rotala that you don't trim from losing all their leaves and dying off do to being blocked from the light? They look so healthy on the bottom. Mine tend to go bare and after about 3 trimmings, I have to uproot and replant the tops. I must be doing something wrong. All long has the original stems been in place?
Well, I don't really know, lol. I'm sure there aren't many, if any, leaves on the bottoms of the stems that are in the center of the "bush". The stems on the outside edges still get enough light to have leaves which keeps them from looking bare near the bottom. I have occasionally, but not lately, to try to shorten the plant and avoid trimming the tops, grab the stems at the bottom and push them farther into the substrate but after a couple of days they work there way lose and are back to where they started. But I've not uprooted them all and trimmed the bottoms in probably a year. I also try to thin it out some when I trim. You know what a tangled mess it can become after a while so cut a lot of that out too. Maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe they've all rotted at the bottom by now and Saturday when I start to trim it will all come floating to the top, lol.

I had a really large bunch of Mayaca fluviatilis in the past and those stems would eventually die off at the bottom and I'd have to replant it which I got tired of and tossed it all into the backyard one day, lol. I've not had it happen with the rotala though. I like to think it's just from keeping it small but I've never really thought about it until you asked.
post #25 of 312 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

In case anyone wonders what happens when CO2 becomes an issue here's an answer.

Tank on May 4 - CO2 and flow are good

And today - a result of poor flow and poor CO2 distribution

P stellatus is stunted terribly and the rest of the plants don't look as healthy as they have. I'd post a closer view but it's too heartbreaking, lol. The sunset hygro that was in the center of the tank had gotten so thick that it was blocking the flow to the plants behind it. The plants on the right side were pretty much unaffected. It's kinda funny how localized the stunting was. I have a dropchecker on the back left wall that used to be almost yellow after 4 hours into the photoperiod. For the last couple of weeks it was doing well to get past dark green.

So, the hygro is gone which is fine since I was getting tired of having to trim so much of it every week. I've replaced it with Stauro porto velho. I think I'll like the green as opposed to the pink of the hygro and maybe it will be more manageable. I've also spread the dwarf lobelia out a bit. I'm still going for that Dutchish sorta kinda look. Now just waiting for everything to bounce back.

I also did away with the reactor to see if I can get a bit more flow out of one of the Fluvals. I'm injecting CO2 into the filter now, gonna see how that does. I have an old AquaMedic reducing tee from one of my past experiments so I placed it inline right at the siphon tube for the outflow. My thinking is the bubbles will be even smaller by the time they make it to the filter. This is my first day trying it so far so good. The dropchecker seems to be changing color fairly quickly, of course getting rid of the hygro probably has just as much to do with that and I've only noticed one 5 second burp from the filter so far. Here's a bit of a pic of the tee on the outflow. If you look carefully you can even see some BBA I've had pop up in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited by Jeff5614; 06-18-2010 at 01:08 PM.
post #26 of 312 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:41 AM
I ♥ BBA!

This should be a poster child for how co2 can truly hurt your plants. Did you keep up with your dosing with the issues? Even with the poor co2, the tank looked better than mine. Wanna trade your bad tank for my good tank?

By the way, I'd love to see a picture of your tank stand and that canopy. It looks great from the edges.

post #27 of 312 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
This should be a poster child for how co2 can truly hurt your plants. Did you keep up with your dosing with the issues? Even with the poor co2, the tank looked better than mine. Wanna trade your bad tank for my good tank?

By the way, I'd love to see a picture of your tank stand and that canopy. It looks great from the edges.
Yep, I was still dosing all along. It's just a matter of poor CO2.

I think I'll keep my tank. The shipping charge for all of that water would be outrageous .

The stand is a Sedona stand like the one in the link below. It was black originally but my wife, being the decorator she is, painted it to match the living room decor, which was the plan when I got it.
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=16781
post #28 of 312 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

WOW! What an effect the CO2 had. You posted what happens when CO2 is bad, I will have to update mine to show what happens to a tank when trying to get ready for a daughter's graduation party. I will say this...not good!

I am sure though this tank will be back to amazing here in a couple weeks. Keep us posted.

post #29 of 312 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I am sure though this tank will be back to amazing here in a couple weeks. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. After a couple of days with the CO2 back to par there's already some healthy new growth coming in on some of the stellatus stems. I mention the stellatus because of the plants I have it's the most sensitive to fluctuations in CO2 and always the first to show any signs of a deficiency.

I've also ordered a Koralia nano to help with flow after the tank grows back in. I also ordered it because I've noticed my tetras really like to swim in the flow of the HOT Magnum I use to polish the water after water changes. It's one of the new ones rated at 425 gph. I thought about a Koralia 1 but it's rated at somewhere like 600 gph and I was afraid the plants would be blowing over in the breeze.
post #30 of 312 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:53 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Your wife has good taste in decorating. I love that the stand doesn't look manufactured. I have to agree with dewalltheway, this tank will be back to amazing in no time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode