My new 125g. High tech, discus/Altum tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to adamprice271
My new 125g. High tech, discus/Altum tank.

Hello everyone. I finally decided to bite the bullet, and replace my old, beat up Oceanic 135. Currently, I'm still getting some of the items together, but the old tank is torn down, just waiting to get it moved, and the new one in place, to start the build.

Equipment

Aqueon 125g tank
Fluval FX5
JBJ 800w Titanium Heater with true temp digital controller
Rena XP3(extra filter, also running the UV inline)
Coral Life 18w turbo twist UV sterilizer
2 48" 4x54w HO T5 fixtures (3 6700k, 3 colormax, and 2 actinics, or 2 10.000k) (ditching the halides)
20 or 40lb Co2 tank(depends on time/money)
GLA Ultimate Co2 regulator
Milwaukee Ph controller (not sure which model)
75lbs of Eco Complete
30lbs of Supernaturals black sand
30-40lbs of red flourite
300w heater cable with controller

Decorations are LOTS of Malaysian driftwood, and I'm going to be making some overhangs, and height changes with a fair amount of slate rock.

Fish stock list (suggestions welcome, this is tentative)
8 Discus (not sure if I'm doing wild strains, or designers yet)
6 Altum Angelfish wild from Columbia (will QT in the 75g for a few months)
40 Diamond Tetras
18 Sterbaii Corydoras
Possibly a group of 12 Congo Tetras

Plants
TONS of Jungle val and red jungle val
dwarf sag
assorted different Anubias
Aponegeton Ulvacious
Aponegeton boivinanus
and a lot of others that I haven't really gotten to just yet.

Let me know what you think, I'll be working on it more, and try to get some pitures up shortly. Should start cycling the tank in about 2-4 days. Thanks ALL.

Adam

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

take some pics!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

It should be a great tank. I would leave out the congos. I didn't think they went well with my angels when I had them. I liked them, but I thought they would be better on their own and your center piece fish.

A 125 can get small really fast with big fish and lots of big plants and drift wood. The discus and altums will like having plenty of swimming room.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I think I'm going to scrap the congos, the rest should be fine, maybe a few halfbeaks for the surface, and that will cap it off.

125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Planted Member

I vote for wild discus with the Altums.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Planted Member

I have some (alot really and pretty healthy besides that almost all are pretty short from melting) red jungle val I could sell you if you want. It just melts and grows a bit then melts and grows and sends out a couple runners that do the same. I have had it. It has been in there for 6 months and I kept thinking "it just needs time to get established". I don't think it likes low tech. I have a 110g with 4x54 t5HO no co2 only root tabs for ferts.

PM me if you want them. I am ripping them out to give some regular jungle val a try.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I just got back from Cancun to a letter from the IRS stating that I owe them $852.33 from a few years ago. Great...my project will be on hold for a little while now. I'm going to get the tank in place and filled with RO today, start a small scape with the wood and gravel, and just let it cycle for a bit. I'll have some pics of it later tonight. I also think that I'm going to scrap the Altums, and go with designer discus(around 12 or so) but it's going to be a little bit till I can pay this bill, then I'll be back on track.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamprice271 View Post
Well, I just got back from Cancun to a letter from the IRS stating that I owe them $852.33 from a few years ago. Great...my project will be on hold for a little while now. I'm going to get the tank in place and filled with RO today, start a small scape with the wood and gravel, and just let it cycle for a bit. I'll have some pics of it later tonight. I also think that I'm going to scrap the Altums, and go with designer discus(around 12 or so) but it's going to be a little bit till I can pay this bill, then I'll be back on track.
OMG that so totally sucks! I'm so sorry!

GL!

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Can't wait to see some pics. Sorry to hear about the IRS problem.

38gal. Tetras Forest.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1418057
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...pdate-6-a.html
10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys. It's a little speed bump, but I'm glad this came about before I got the rest of my equipment. Lights, UV, Heater and Co2 system is all I need still, so at least I can still get it going. Getting someone over here to get this big old thang moved is taking a little longer than expected, but progress will be made, and it will be full of water and running by the middle of the week.

Adam

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good to hear.

38gal. Tetras Forest.
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey everyone, I finally got my tank in place, substrate down, and wood in place. It's moving along slowly but hey, it's something. Lights are just for pics, will be getting 2 48" 4 bulb T5HO. Let me know what you think of the wood layout. I'm still waiting on a box of yelolowish/orange slate to build a shelf up on the right side of the tank. I don't know if I like the blue background...couldn't find the black paint and threw it on and moved the tank up all in 45 mins(light coats dry quick). Thanks

Adam

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks really good. Love the driftwood.

38gal. Tetras Forest.
10gal. Jungle Low Tech.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tanks! I always spread it out but I changed my ways. I put them all in a pile, grabbed one, moved it around, set in place, rinse repeat. Only took me one try, and I am very pleased. There's room behind the wood for swimming, and lots of caves, and overhangs. The cliff/ledge will be built in a week or so. I want water and plants so I can cover that blue, but I think it will really brighten up the tank behind the plants rather than black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode