The Planted Tank Forum banner

sm1ke's ADA Mini M

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sm1ke 
#1 ·
Equipment
Aquarium: ADA Cube Garden Mini M (36Lx22Wx26H cm) with glass lid
Substrate: ADA Amazonia Aquasoil (2.5L normal, 2L powder)
Hardscape: 2 kg Ryuoh stone (wish I had bought more)
Light: Azoo Flexi M LED

After flooding, I'll be adding:

Filtration: Finnex PX-360 canister filter
CO2: CO2Art regulator/solenoid and bubble counter, cheapo $6 inline reactor (from an e b a y type site), check valve for CO2 air line
Heater: TBD, likely an inline of some sort

Flora:
Staurogyne Repens
Eleocharis Parvula
Micranthemum
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Riccia Fluitans (I had no idea it would choke out other plants, I blame my own impulses :crying:)

Fauna:
Nothing yet, likely just some shrimp

Now for the journal part.. I started putting this tank together in the first week of July with the intention of using the DSM to grow a healthy carpet. I was also aiming for an Iwagumi hardscape, but I simply don't have enough stone to achieve the correct look and principles, so I settled for what I have. I'll be doing a rescape if the riccia starts choking out the other plants, which will probably be fairly soon. I'll be more patient when I get my ADA 45-P started in the future.

In the first couple of weeks, I played around with the photo period and how I covered the tank, starting with only four hours on and sealing the tank completely, misting once a day at the beginning of the photo period. I tweaked each aspect a little bit each day, like extending the photo period and adding a break in between, opening the cover more or less, and misting more or less. After dealing with a few minor cases of spiderweb mold and dried out plants, I have found that (for this tank), an unbroken 5.5 hour photo period works best. I mist a good amount and leave a small (but wide) opening along the front of the tank. No more mold, and the plants appear to be growing slowly, but steadily. On the advice of a local hobbyist, I also exhale a few breaths into the tank after misting. Probably doesn't do much (if anything), but whatever.

Day 1 – Added and sloped Aquasoil, added Ryuoh stone. I used the normal size for the base and capped it with the powder type for aesthetics. I started with this:
Wood Art Artifact Soil Font

Then switched to this:
Light Display case Glass Gas Wood

I’m sure the hardscape can be improved, I just don’t have a lot of time to make it to the few vendors who sell Ryuoh stone these days.

I added water to saturate the substrate, then propped the front of the tank up a bit to keep sloped area in the back from drying out.

7.11.2016 – Planted a cup of Tropica 1-2-Grow! Micranthemum (Monte Carlo), and three stems of s. Repens (initially submersed, came from my six month old 20g).
Light Water Fluid Chemical compound Rectangle

7.14.2016 – Got some HC Cuba, dwarf hair grass and riccia from a local hobbyist (grown emersed) and "planted" it all. I used quotations because I didn't technically plant the HC or the riccia. I took the portion of HC and just spead it out in the upper left corner, then pushed it into the substrate very lightly. For the riccia, I chopped it up on a cutting board (as if I were chopping up basil), sprinkled it right onto the substrate, then used my misting bottle to spray the riccia into the substrate. The hobbyist I bought the riccia from was growing it as an emersed carpet in clay gravel, so I bought it hoping to achieve the same effect.
Plant community Plant Wood Bedrock Natural landscape

8.17.2016 – After about a month. Lost a few bunches of micranthemum to mold and overexposure to light. I also noticed that the DHG in the back started to brown at the beginning, but it’s stopped and hasn’t really done much of anything since. I realize now that I should have kept it simple and stuck with two or three different species. Oh well, if I have to pull some plants out they'll go into my other tanks.
Plant community Plant Bedrock Natural landscape Wood

And here's the regulator I got from CO2Art.
Tool Automotive tire Camera accessory Gas Audio equipment

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the input! There are actually five rocks I think, but four of them are about the same size, and the biggest rock wasn't big enough and couldn't draw the main focus on its own. I ended up bunching three of the smaller rocks with the bigger rock to make it appear larger than it is. Next time I have a chance to visit my local supplier I'll pick up more rock so I have more options in the future. In the meantime, I'll play around with the placement of the one lone rock to unify it as you suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.