Shrimp sanctuary / dutchy / woody

Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

ADA africana
Power sand-S
Tourmailine BC
Penac P + W
Bacter 100

ADA hornwood - four big pieces

Jardli (check amazon - cheap ADA alternative)

Current Satellite Plus Pro LED

Eheim Classic 250
Purgien additive

20G tetra air pump w/4 way outlet
Super bacto mini sponge filter
Kolud city check valves - red color
Twinstar Shrimp 50 hydrogen peroxide smoker

Day one:
Spent ten hours setting up electrical and pipes, and then planting. Too tired to take a photo. Just enjoy with a glass of wine.

Day two visual:

quiquik, Smooch, benshrimp and 2 others like this.

Last edited by sfshrimp; 09-04-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: wrong equipment description
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
That's gorgeous! Can't wait to see more.
sfshrimp likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Tank looks really cool in the bookcase. Can we get a plant list when time permits?
sfshrimp likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
Here's some making of and process shots of Lost and Tomorrow. My intent is to create a woody shrimp sanctuary with some Dutch influences.

The idea was to put a twelve gallon long the width of the shelf. Wires, C02 system, air pump, and double taps are concealed behind books one shelf down. Second shelf down houses the Eheim classic 250 filter. I replaced the green 12/16 hoses with clear ADA ones.

The shelf was reinforced with steel brackets screwed into the studs behind the book case, and onto the sides of the book case. The blood gnome filter is lighting the tank.

I spent a few weeks thinking about the hardscape which is ADA hornwood, and then spent several hours terraforming the Africana aquasoil. I liked the contrast of the brown hues of the wood against the orange soil. I used power sand S, penac P+W, bacter 100 and tourmaline BC. I copied whatever James Findley does in several of his Green Machine videos for his substrate prep. Thanks to houseofcards and all other members who gave me feedback.

Detail shot of the wood... I tied mosses and java fern on the woods, but especially densely in this area where the four logs meet up.

The inflow pipe is fairly long, so I placed a kitchen ramikan into the soil so it can be accommodated without interfering with the soil. I put an old sponge filter on top to avoid shrimp fry (if I ever get any) from getting sucked into the filter. I chopped up a plastic folder to support the substrate in key areas like hills, and to form rudimentary barriers for the dwarf hair grass.

The 6" inch air stone and bacto sponge filter has a 4 way valve I can adjust the flow with. I liked the red color check valves and the metal air regulator, although I wish I could serve wine from the two unused taps...

I bought a variety of plants and mosses from a member here, as well as Aqua Forest SF. Will list the species in a update. I had the plants sitting in distilled water for a day or two before I was ready to plant. It took a good ten hours to terraform the soil, get the equipment setup, the plants situated and tank filled.

Lost and tomorrow is a place for me to reflect about tomorrow and find myself in the present moment with patience and grace.

Last edited by sfshrimp; 08-27-2016 at 09:47 PM. Reason: broken image link
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 04:13 AM
Planted Member
Such a nice setup here! The bookcase goes perfectly to showcase the tank - total quality and taste when it comes to hardscape and visual appeal
sfshrimp likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 02:17 AM
Planted Member
wow very pretty tank! and a well written thread to :3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode