School Aquarium Project - Week 17 - The Planted Tank Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

School Aquarium Project - Week 17

Greetings to all! This year I am officially a high school senior !!! In celebration and honor of this, I have decided to move all my aquarium and the equipment to my school's biology classroom and do an aquascape there. My goal for this is to have both a capstone to my journey as an aquascaper before college and an opportunity to share this art to people in my school. It will not only be an aethestic addition, but also a teaching tool that hopefully will stir up interest in some younger souls...

The whole project is all in the context of taking a decent two-year break from my last scape, found here. I already have all the necessary equipment ready—only the aquascaping is left.

The hardscape:

Materials List:

Aquarium:
- Marineland 90cm*30cm*36cm (L*W*H) Glass Aquarium. Approx. 25g, though with hardscape probably only 20-22.
- Don't know anything about the stand, but it fits the aquarium perfectly

Lighting:
- 36 inch Hagen Glo Dual T5HO
- Giesemann Midday and Aquaflora (both bulbs 3+ years old now. I'll be replacing them if noticable problems occur)
- Pool fiberglass screen to reduce light

Filtration:
- Eheim Classic 2215
- Waterplant Surface Skimmer
- Marineland Carbon (only early on)
- Various biomedia
- CPR Biobale

CO2:
- Green Leaf Aquariums Nature Beast CO2 Regulator
- Viton/Kynar Universal Check Valves
- 5lb Cylinder
- UP Aqua Inline CO2 Atomizer (12-16 mm tubing)
- ISTA Max Mix Reactor

Substrate & Scaping Materials:
- Twice reused ADA Amazonia
- Stone chippings (off a highway in Utah )
- Other random rocks
- Driftwood picked from the beach (properly treated)

Additives & Fertilizers:
- Seachem Prime
- KH2PO4
- KNO3
- CSM+B

More information coming soon~

高校のアクアスケーハーです - Flickr Albums

Last edited by iter; 09-04-2016 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

omgosh I would have of never thought of doing an aquascape, at school! im gonna have to remember this for my senior year lol Good luck with your scape and great idea
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi iter,

Sounds like a great project I do have some concern about
Quote:
- Giesemann Midday and Aquaflora (both bulbs 3+ years old now)
At that age the bulbs are likely putting out well less than 75% of PAR and the K value is likely shifted as well; if algae becomes an issue this is the first thing I would suspect.

Also the stone chips could easily be limestone which is used a lot as a base material for concrete and asphalt roads; do a vinegar test prior to putting them into your tank.

Roy
75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0 48"/59W, 2X Marineland 350 Magnum filters; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K, 1X Marineland 350 Magnum filter; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0 36"/46W, Marineland C-220 filter; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED kit, Marineland C-160 filter; all with Press. CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

I thought I would add that Aquatic Arts has a promotion that if you are using an aquarium in a school for education purposes they give you a gift card for a certain amount to their website. I don't personally know the terms and conditions but it maybe something you might want to look into.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
At that age the bulbs are likely putting out well less than 75% of PAR and the K value is likely shifted as well; if algae becomes an issue this is the first thing I would suspect.

Also the stone chips could easily be limestone which is used a lot as a base material for concrete and asphalt roads; do a vinegar test prior to putting them into your tank.
Yeah the light bulbs are old, but because of my tight budget, unless it causes noticeable trouble, it should be okay.

Good call on it being limestone! Sure enough it reacted to the acid test, but I think it should be fine since only a little bit is in there. The larger rocks you see are safe and Florida tap water is already pretty alkaline. I am already starting a pH test with some RO water and some unused rocks to see if there are any notable difference in pH after a couple days. The rock to water ratio is pretty even so I should see results fairly soon. Thanks for catching that though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kitty View Post
I thought I would add that Aquatic Arts has a promotion that if you are using an aquarium in a school for education purposes they give you a gift card for a certain amount to their website. I don't personally know the terms and conditions but it maybe something you might want to look into.
Very interesting, though after a quick search it seems that it is limited to educators using their products, which sadly doesn't apply well to me. I could maybe get the teacher sponsoring me to do something about this...

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Algae Grower

You are providing the equipment. It is between you and your teacher. But since it is a simple recommendation and could mold the tank and also teach so many students about the biology of whatever you decide to keep or whatever plants you decide to keep...I don't see how this is a loss since it is in your teacher's classroom. He might be actually able to teach the students biology, I.E pearling of plants, mating of shrimp, mating of fish, keeping of high light/low light plants in a contained experiment. Seriously the possibilities are endless and explainable to the board of education.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just a word of warning, the world is full of bellends, and school tanks are often the targets of vandals and angry people. There are strings of articles about it on practicalfishkeeping.
SO, I'm not saying don't do it, but keep it simple and not too expensive.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for bringing a tank into your school! It's a great idea on so many levels.

Check with your schools science department chairperson about keeping a CO2 tank there. In Maryland it's hard to get permits to keep pressurized gas tanks. I'm not sure about Florida. For my higher light classroom tanks we use metricide.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

Triple-filtered paludarium Method's Classroom 2015-16 His and Hers 12" Cubes

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kitty View Post
You are providing the equipment. It is between you and your teacher. But since it is a simple recommendation and could mold the tank and also teach so many students about the biology of whatever you decide to keep or whatever plants you decide to keep...I don't see how this is a loss since it is in your teacher's classroom. He might be actually able to teach the students biology, I.E pearling of plants, mating of shrimp, mating of fish, keeping of high light/low light plants in a contained experiment. Seriously the possibilities are endless and explainable to the board of education.
Verily my biology teacher will be using this as a teaching tool .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Just a word of warning, the world is full of bellends, and school tanks are often the targets of vandals and angry people. There are strings of articles about it on practicalfishkeeping.
SO, I'm not saying don't do it, but keep it simple and not too expensive.
My school isn't very large and though there is always a risk, I am quite positive that no one will vandalize .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
Thank you for bringing a tank into your school! It's a great idea on so many levels.

Check with your schools science department chairperson about keeping a CO2 tank there. In Maryland it's hard to get permits to keep pressurized gas tanks. I'm not sure about Florida. For my higher light classroom tanks we use metricide.
I will make sure but I already have received an OK from my biology teacher, so it probably should be fine. Thanks!

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

iter you should (btw not advertising :l) post this on TropicalFishForums for more advice and help and also here but its already posted here lol confusing, anyway I love this project idea and its great. I think you should totally go out with this idea supporting this all the way lol
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

Love this idea! Best of luck with it, seems like you're off to a good start

Tearing down my 10 soon.
5 gallon tank with 3 male endlers, 3 amano shrimp, and some little pond snails.
10 gallon just getting set up and cycled.
Hoping to get a 29 gallon for a South-Eastern Asian biotope.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Commencement

Planted on 09/09/2016, 7:30 pm

I spent four and a half hours after school doing this—it was rather tiring.

Plant List:
- Anubias barteri var. nana
- Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
- Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green'
- Eleocharis acicularis
- Glossostigma elatinoides
- Microsorum pteropus
- Proserpinaca palustris
- Rotala macrandra
- Rotala nanjenshan
- Rotala rotundifolia

Really going freestyle with the scape and plant choices, especially with Rotala macrandra, as they are rarely used in Nature Style.

I'm still considering whether to swap out the Cryptocoryne with Staurogyne repens. By God's grace, hopefully there won't be any leaking over the weekend .
BettaBettas likes this.

Last edited by iter; 09-10-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Time
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Week 1 - 09/16/2016

Everything is going exceedingly well heretofore. The foreground should be ready to be trimmed and replanted to promote horizontal growth and remove emersed growth by the beginning of next week. The stems are so far not experiencing any significant stem rot that comes from transition issues; only a few stems acquired that dilemma and were easily uprooted and replanted. The rotala rotundifolia will hopefully not be overshddowed by its submersed, already growing macrandra neighbor, which is doing quite fine I will say. I am also considering replacing the Anubias in the middle of the stem with a better-looking specimen, but if it happens to grow well then hopefully it will spare me of that trouble.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to assasin6547
It's beautiful! How do your classmates like it? A trim for the glosso would definitely be good, seems like it's growing more vertically than horizontally. Have you thought about added any bits of mosses in some areas? I think it would compliment the wood nicely.

Setting up a tank at school is a great idea, though it probably wouldn't have nearly as well had I tried... xD

How I feel about non-planted aquariums.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Everyone loves it! I just trimmed the glosso today and lowered the lights a bit to promote more horizontal growth.

As for moss, since I never used it before and don't want to get random pieces throughout the tank, I'll skip it this time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode