School Aquarium Project - Week 17 - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks all! I will try to take some more pictures tomorrow.

高校のアクアスケーハーです - Flickr Albums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haven't been on this thread in a while, tank progress looks really good! I always wish I took a picture every week for my tank, think ill start doing that :0
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Week 12

Edit: This is Week 13

Things are going on fine~

I took the fish home over winter break so that I can feed them, and I trimmed the background plants as well. I will throw in some different angled shots later.

FTS:
Opare, Econde, doug105! and 3 others like this.

Last edited by iter; 12-24-2016 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

Lookin good!

Shane P.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another great update. Looking forward for more. Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

gr8 update!
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Various Angles (Week 12)

From left side:

Left side:

Right corner:

Middle right:

Proserpinaca palustris:

Rotala rotundifolia:

From above middle, a random weed from outside that was mixed with the moss. I pulled it out already, as it got too big and cyano started growing on the crown:

From above right:
Opare likes this.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank, and I like what you're doing here. I'm glad you've had good reactions. Where I'm from, I'd be the laughing stock of the class if I did something like this, if I wasn't already scrutinized for every step I made and breath I took . Are you worried about the "cool kids" messing with the tank?? I can just imagine someone pouring in who knows what, among other things. My high school was a cruel place, it was just a typical suburban public school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mattb126 likes this.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhrbal View Post
Beautiful tank, and I like what you're doing here. I'm glad you've had good reactions. Where I'm from, I'd be the laughing stock of the class if I did something like this, if I wasn't already scrutinized for every step I made and breath I took . Are you worried about the "cool kids" messing with the tank?? I can just imagine someone pouring in who knows what, among other things. My high school was a cruel place, it was just a typical suburban public school.
Thank you! My friends do jokingly make fun of me but it's all good . My biology teacher is the most fit teacher I know and is a jujitsu instructor. Bottom line: no one would dare . The worst I've seen is a little piece of bread crumb.
maxhrbal likes this.

post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

That's a beautiful tank! Good job

post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Week 16 - Post Winter Break

I gave a huge sigh of relief as I saw the tank still holding water and the filter still pumping out water . The filter was sucking in air as the water level was too low, but luckily I installed a bleed off tube for any air stuck in the CO2 reactor so that prevented major mechanical problems.

Not in the prettiest state, but after 3 hours of hard work after the first day of the 2nd semester it became quite clean . Lots of Anubias leaves needed to be trimmed since they got taken over by the GSA that were EVERYWHERE. My neck, back, and arms are still sore from scrubbing ; they were harder to remove than bathroom water stains...

Ignore the giant ball of java fern floating in the middle, and yes I will put a new fern on the top-left driftwood nook. It became way to big and blocked out all the light underneath. There will be many changes going on for the next few weeks as I reconsider the aquascape. I picked up some hygrophila (most likely polysperma) and ludwigia repens, along with some other water weeds, from a trip to Rainbow Springs. Once I get them to grow emersed, as that will reduce any possiblities of foreign stuff, I might incorporate them into the stem background.

I also discovered that some of the terrestrial moss that I collected grew into a huge mass underwater. It has branching similar to Christmas moss, and I tied it to some of the wood to see if it's growth pattern can be used for scaping. Very happy to have this unplanned element .

BEFORE

3 HOURS AFTER
Opare likes this.

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

That is a biiiig clean but good job on it.

post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you were getting green spot while not feeding etc., I think you need to reduce photoperiod or lift light a bit further. Going with how deep the algae is penetrating, I think the 1st option will be more successful.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
If you were getting green spot while not feeding etc., I think you need to reduce photoperiod or lift light a bit further. Going with how deep the algae is penetrating, I think the 1st option will be more successful.
Yeah, I forgot to raise the light over the break and it sure was a mistake. 3 weeks of high light and no ferts equals an algae tank. The cool thing was I tried to guess what type of algae would appear under the given terrible conditions and I was indeed correct: a tankful of GSA.

Right now I raised the light fixture and put the screen cover over while increasing the photoperiod to 8 hrs.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Week 17

It's been 17 weeks! Everything is going alright, and I moved a couple plants around while adding some new ones as an experiment.

The flame tetras will be back in a few days as the water stabilizes. I've been thinking of getting some shrimps too.....

Opare and Econde like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode