My new 20 Gallon Long "Paludarium/Riparium??" inspired by !Shadow - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Those little guys are so cool! For riparium planter plants, how about some peace lilys and/or dieffenbachia? Both are widely available, and are easy to care for.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu
The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

l agree about the peace lilys they look like they'd go well in your tank. l did come across this interesting thread jake, check it out:
http://greenbuttercups.com/wordpress...e-bad-for-you/

l thought you,hydro, and craig might be interested.

Anything else you plan on doing to the tank benon?

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Angry asdf

Quote:
wow, that's fantastic. very inspiring!
Thanks Phoenix44, it's really good to hear "fantastic," regarding my tank.

Quote:
That wood is awesome! Great start!
Thank you IC3D. The wood was not a bargain at $35.99. Purchased at AFA in San Francisco. I just hope it works out with the half full water-level.

Quote:
These guys are great, wonder how they would do with fish in the tank as well? Tehy would love hanging out in my Riparium on all the wood and planters.
I think the white cloud mountain minnow would be OK. It's quick enough to avoid predation, and supposedly very peaceful. The spinal column of the fish would create a really huge problem if the fire-bellied newt were to swallow one.

They would definitely love all the space of your magnificent riparium. The more water and surface area, the better. I designed this tank to be a species tank--easy to clean and feed, etc., without being too small (footprint being the most key choice).

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/M...isasters.shtml

Quote:
Those little guys are so cool! For riparium planter plants, how about some peace lilys and/or dieffenbachia? Both are widely available, and are easy to care for.
Those peace lilies are becoming really popular in aquarium setups. I had a look at them in a lot of the tanks here, and they definitely look great. I'm mainly concerned about the leaves growing too large - would my tank be too small?

Quote:
l agree about the peace lilys they look like they'd go well in your tank. l did come across this interesting thread jake, check it out:
http://greenbuttercups.com/wordpress...e-bad-for-you/

l thought you,hydro, and craig might be interested.

Anything else you plan on doing to the tank benon?
Well, if two people mention it, I can't go wrong with peace lilies.

I ordered some riparium planters and rafts from hydrophite's riparium store, so I should have some nice new effects going on this thing.

I may also add some grey rocks - not too round, not too jagged, somewhat geometric and weather-worn - about 2-3 inches in size, with a couple of 4-5 inch rocks, these dark rocks would make a killer background, not to mention moss would look nice on them.

I'll probably check AFA for rocks - theirs are always great. If only I had a bit more knowledge on where to forage for rocks, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

AH, forgot to mention, did you check out my 60-gallon long that I've started? This one is sitting near a cold window, as the axolotl is in an area with a lot of heat and dead air. Not ideal. Plus, I finally have the enormous real-estate that I've always wanted.

Thanks for the comments all. Really appreciated.
post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

asdf

I just had to share this...

My newts, they were posing, or just plain naturally comical. I had to grab my camera and take a few shots.

Here they are from the side.

Must be nice to just hang out like that. This shot is a clearer.

Maybe they weren't posing, but this looks like some kind of glamour shot. It's not altered in any way.

I have a good laugh whenever i stare at them conducting their daily business.
post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This project is coming along great. Those newts are super cute.

Peace lilies could look good in there. I wouldn't worry too much about volatile organic compounds. I understand that many plants can produce such substances and any effect of them would probably be minimal. Just don't eat them or feed them to your dog--the sap of peace lilies is a strong irritant.

I like those pieces of wood it looks to me like they were worth the investment. You might see some cruddy algae and stuff form around the area of the waterline, but that will not look unnatural.
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Glad hydro cleared that up, it's always nice to get some useful information as l don't know too much about these type of plants.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

asdf

Converting Crypts...

Anyone have some good information on converting crypts to land?
post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by benon View Post
Converting Crypts...

Anyone have some good information on converting crypts to land?

Lots and lots of humidty, frequent mistings, top covered 90-100%. You can follow my Journal as my Riparium is setup for Crypts.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

asdf

Craigthor-

Have you ever tried an auto-mister? I've never used one, but am considering buying one.

What were your tricks for fighting off mold and fungus?
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Craigthor-

Have you ever tried an auto-mister? I've never used one, but am considering buying one.

What were your tricks for fighting off mold and fungus?
For an auto mister I would look at a Mist King. I just ordered mine and it should be here in a few days. They aren't cheap but take all the work out of making sure you don't forget to mist. I haven't had any issue with mold or fungus in my tank so I have no tricks there.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Mist King

Very nice.

Which system did you end up going with?

I'm not sure exactly what needs to be ordered. I was hoping their "starter kit" was all inclusive, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Very nice.

Which system did you end up going with?

I'm not sure exactly what needs to be ordered. I was hoping their "starter kit" was all inclusive, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I went with a modified Ultimate System, I spent a bit more then the stock Ultimate system but I got exactly what I needed to fit my tank. You could probably do the ultimate system and get away with just 2 misting nozzles on a 20g along with 2 of the screen top wedges for mounting hte nozzles.

The Ultimate System with 2 wedges and 2 Nozzles would run about $167.00

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That sounds awesome... Constant moisture and plants, the newts will love it.

Did you include that zip drip thing? Timer? I think I'm going to get one and try it out. If that works, onto the 60-gallon long.
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That sounds awesome... Constant moisture and plants, the newts will love it.

Did you include that zip drip thing? Timer? I think I'm going to get one and try it out. If that works, onto the 60-gallon long.

The timer is included which is a second timer so you can run it for as short a period as you need; but I did the Zip Drip upgrade as it is susposed to help keep the lines primed with water.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Jonimusha
The tank looks great - your newts must be loving it. Makes me miss the firebellies I used to have before they decided to do a little 'exploring.'

White cloud mountain minnows would be a nice addition if you're up for it since they'll do great in the lower temps which newts like. They should also grow too large and be too fast for your newts to eat. They are fairly greedy eaters though and could create a problem during feeding time.

And good luck with the breeding. I'd certainly love to hear if that all works out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode