My new 20 Gallon Long "Paludarium/Riparium??" inspired by !Shadow - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Some new photos :

I love these guys. They stole the show. I had to capture him poking his head above the water. Helps that some of these newts like to stand still for hours at a time.

The dynamic duo once again.

Left side of the tank.

Lots of areas to place some mini java ferns and bolbitis.

I like the surface shots.

There's a newt I've been trying to capture. His name is Titan, and he's the largest one of the bunch. They're surprisingly good swimmers as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

May 3rd, 2010

Just wanted to share some photos of the latest plant additions : more java fern and bolbitis + some smaller rocks.

I ordered some nano-trellis rafts + riparium cups from Riparium Supply. I don't know what to put in the cups, but I know I want bolbitis on the rafts. I am open to suggestions and advice about emmersed plants.

Full tank shot.

Spray-bar + small penn-plax (basically a plastic box with a sponge and some charcoal) hooked up to an air pump. It creates a small current and filters out some additional funk.. The newts are really messy.

Too many?

Forgot one...

I still have that 60-F to setup. It's going to be heavily planted, possibly with pressurized CO2, definitely with emmersed plants.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looking brilliant, what filter do you have for your riparium tank? Ive got a fluval 105 external and it said to put it underneath because its gravity fed, do you think this matters as id prefere it next to the tank.

there are so many plants for riparium planters but be aware! i had trouble converting submerged to emmersed, lost two plants in the process so given up now and am just using marginal plants and house plants, like spathilium.
Im going to try to use some smaller marginal pond plants see how they go.

Dont let me put you off though if you fancy converting your plants, im sure you'll do better than me!!
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

gravity fed

Hey Luke,

I've never used a fluval filter, so I don't know about an ideal location for it.

I have a Zoomed 501, and it is suggested to be level with the aquarium.

Quote:
Dont let me put you off though if you fancy converting your plants, im sure you'll do better than me!!
Trust me when I say that I've never converted aquatic plants to an emmersed state.

If I have any luck, the plants that are currently in there won't wither off and die.

These newts are extremely messy, and I don't know anything about keeping newts with java moss or java fern. I broke open the 501 filter yesterday to add some more bio-media, and saw a whole bunch of brown nasty gunk in there.

I'll probably have to take the bio-media and dip it for a second with the tank's dirty water from a water-change every week or two.
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sounds like a good idea, what medias do you have in your filter?

do you have carbon or do you think thats over kill and strips to much from the water?
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

carbon

I use carbon right now, but only use it to clear up the water.

For media I use most any aquarium media that I have left over. As long as it is porous and has some surface area, it seems to work fine.

Eventually I take all the carbon out and replace it with filter media.

Right now in the zoomed, I have a small nylon bag filled with activated carbon halfway, and the other half with the ceramic rings that the zoomed comes with.
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oh cool, also whats your floating plant? looks cool
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The floating plants are water spangles (I think).

They multiply very quickly since they have open access to CO2. Really nice if you wanna provide some shade for your animals.

I'll probably be getting rid of some eventually (they're already growing, and I put them in a few days ago), however I don't think I can send them out to england :O
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

l'm honored that l inspired you, it's not everyday you get that privilege to do so. oh and wow was l away for that long? l can't believe l missed this thread... shame on me. l'm really liking the spraybar and the current it gives. This is going to look very nice once you get the riparium planters in there. Do you plant on using moss or just leaving the branches exposed? Another thing, on the background you could go black up until the water line kinda like how hydrophyte does it or cover the back completely either one would give it a nice touch with the light colored sand.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey,

I had a hiatus too... Been struggling with my tanks too much to post anything I'm proud of.

I am def. considering a water-line black background. So many choices...

Branches and moss - I'm trying to avoid covering the branches in moss for now. That way I don't have to tear it off if I hate it. I also need to change these bulbs to 6500K T5NO instead of the actinic/10K combo I have on there.

I tried putting some moss in but it just didn't look right. Perhaps it was the type of moss, or the color of the lamps. I want a very natural look, and not too well-kempt looking.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know its so annoying everyone is swapping/buying plants and I cant with you guys! lol
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New photos

Snapped some new photos of the guys at feeding time.

They're really entertaining to watch.

As you can see the bloodworms like to burrow, and I've had experience with them destroying plants. If I keep a thin layer of substrate and keep it clean, I suppose they can't bother too many of the plants hanging from the branch.

I've placed some moss in various areas to prevent a huge mold outbreak.

It's very entertaining watching them congregate like this and feed together. I've seen one dispute over a patch of worms, but they stopped after a few bites. They're generally peaceful with each other.
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Algae Grower

wow, that's fantastic. very inspiring!
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Digital Send a message via Yahoo to Digital Send a message via Skype™ to Digital
That wood is awesome! Great start!
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

These guys are great, wonder how they would do with fish in the tank as well? Tehy would love hanging out in my Riparium on all the wood and planters.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode