The Planted Tank Forum banner

(2) 5G setups (soon 75G)

688 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BettaBettas 
#1 ·
I thought I would make a journal about my tanks and how they are like they are! And ill tell the story as well of how they GOT to where they are...
So lets get started

About 1 year ago when I was 13 just turning 14, I lived in Huntington, West Virginia on a good hobby farm. My mom told me she had an aquarium when she was little, it was a Discus tank. I had no clue what that even meant or was so I looked it up on Google only to find out that it was a beautiful type of fish! As I was looking I became inspired, to own something as nice and as neat as that.
One Day in West Virginia, I went to Petco and saw a Perfect $400 tank, just for me. I knew after crazy amounts of research, what everything was and how to do stuff and manage an aquarium. So since I was about 14 and this was $400, I had to get a job, and that job was picking beans in a neighbors bean field. It was horrible! worst job ever! lol, but after a good amount of months, I had that amount of money (or so) and purchased this 60 gallon aquarium. it looked so cool, or to me it did.
After I set (sry I don't have pictures) the aquarium up and filled it with cleaned sand and tap water, I put declorinator in it and did all the ph adjustments. then I added the fake plastic plants into it and made it look natural-ish. With a touch of Modern.
Then came the big day, when I got my first fish- a male betta (unknown what kind, cant remember) and a couple of gourami's, and some Neon Tetras, I was paranoid on how many fish I had in the tank thinking there was always to many when really I could have most likely put many many more in there.
Fast Forward to a while later probably about 3 months, mom, me, and my step-dad went to a race. (my mom used to do a lot of races) as we left we saw that someone drove into a ditch nearby our house. later on after the race we were driving home. I remember the beautiful view of fields and fields of wheat. really pretty. We then Received a call from a nearby friend, our house was burnt down, or burning. When we got home we where left to see only ashes on ashes (it was a 2 story log house). horrible sight for my parents but since the crime rate was rising in WV I figured it would happen.
Later on we Moved to NC for a bit (like 1 year) then we Moved HERE to Arkansas (Mountain Home) In NC I had a 75Gallon planted aquarium, mostly just java fern no Co2.
Here currently in Arkansas I have 2 TEMP. 5 gallon aquariums (ones 5.5)
One of them has mostly anubias in them
Did have Asian water fern but I re-designed and moved stuff around so I took that out and put it in the 5.5 gallon..
5.5 gallon is not my main focus aquarium currently, but my 5 gallon fluval spec long is.

Fish in the Fluval:
Male Delta Tail Betta
3 Female Bettas (VeilTail, Crowntail, and halfmoon).
2 cherry Barbs (getting more in the soon to setup 75G)

Fish In 5.5G Tank
4 Gourami's
5 Black Tetras
2 Fish of which I forgot the name lol

Stay Tune For Updates On The Aquarium

Heres the current Setup

See less See more
#2 ·
Please separate the bettas and gouramis. I had 2 in a FIFTY FIVE gallon tank, and one still killed the other. Not to mention that the bio load on that tank is FAR too much for even an experienced hobbyist. Even one of those fish would not do well in that size. The male betta will kill the females, or fight them, and the only way to maintain a group of FEMALE bettas is in a carefully monitored tank, usually over 20 gallons. We all make mistakes, but it would be a really good idea to re-home all of the fish if they are in a tank of that size, the betta will be fine in a 5.5g, but only one. The gouramis need bigger tanks, and more than one betta leads to disaster.

#3 ·
Thanks so much for your concern, ive had these fish for 4 years, they are fully compatible, their bio load in the 5 gallons as of rn isn't bad, water parameters are perfect actually. have been.
Also I would suggest some research, Bettas have personalities. my btta just so happens to get along with everything. and theirs 2 tanks btw, gouramis are in another, I just have one recovering from an injury in the betta tank rn, also he wont kill the females. (more research for you to do) some do, but hes breed with all of them (some once o twice), I know that doesn't mean partners 4life but it helps them get along. thanks for your concern though.

Nate

#4 ·
Well the Gourami as everyone knows in the Fluval tank is recovering at a real fast pace! also I will take a pic of my tank since I re-planted the plants in it, to different areas! =) looks nice
Heres the Gourami

When he was initially attacked by the CAE he looked bad but now in about 2 weeks hes been looking way better :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.