The Planted Tank Forum banner

10 Gallons

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  R_Barber001 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting up a new tank.
Tank: Aqueon glass- $14.99 (Petco)
Light fixture: Marineland Fluorescent Strip 20" Single Bulb Black- $24.99 (Dr. Foster & Smith)
Canopy: Marineland Glass Canopy 20"- $9.29 (Dr. Foster & Smith)
Bulb: Philips Plant & Aquarium 15 Watts 18 Inch T8 410 Lumens- $7.97 (Home Depot)
Filter: Aqueon Quiet Flow Power Filter 10- $10.99 (Dr. Foster & Smith)
Substrate: Eco-Complete Plant Substrate Black Course Grade 20 lbs.- $26.52 (Dr. Foster & Smith)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I went with a co2art complete system (http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...products/advance-complete-aquarium-co2-system) along with their advanced paintball adapter (http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...for-use-with-standard-aquarium-co2-regulators) then ordered a 24oz paintball cylinder for my 5.5 gallon. I haven't had any issues with the system, been on since March. Basically it's plug n' play then dialing it in. I run about 3 bps and refill the tank every 2-3 months. Total cost of everything was around $200 waited a few weeks for shipping (free shipping from the UK) and I was off and running. One thing I've never done is test for leaks but it doesn't seem like I have any. They provide a tutorial on their website on how to check for leaks, I've just been lazy about it.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I put the two products in the cart and it came out to 111.97 Euros with priority shipping 3-15 working days no tracking, then googled the exchange rate and it looks to be $126.23. That's very very very enticing! I already have tanks. I need to think about this one.... @harrynolan27 how good is the metering valve?

#7 ·
My experience with the needle valve is that it's very sensitive, meaning the slightest adjustment effects the bubble count a bit more than I would like. I have no other experience with any other needle valves though. That being said, as long as I have a steady hand and make tiny adjustments I can dial it in fairly easy. Also, the needle doesn't float and holds the bubble count consistently. My only gripes with it would be the solenoid and the diffuser. The solenoid takes a bit of time after turning off (15-20mins) to completely stop all bubbles, again I have no experience with any others so this may just be how solenoids work? The diffuser works completely fine, just makes a lot of micro bubbles likes it's supposed to haha just I think I may have preferred not seeing them but that's not something that effects the function at all.

On a side note, on co2art there should be a currency converter, on my phone it's at the top under currency. Also they provide a 5 year warranty on the system I linked which is pretty awesome if you ask me!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Im not sure if you can see the difference in the photos but the first photo is with the standard Marineland Natural Daylight (F15T8NDL) 18" Bulb made in Germany and the second photo is with the Philips Plant & Aquarium 15 Watts 18 Inch T8 410 Lumens Bulb made in China. In person you can really see how the plant light is more red-pink and the daylight is more white. I prefer the red one it's more subtle and easier on the eyes at night when relaxing.

Attachments

#14 ·
To impatient

I'm gonna get a diffuser to replace that air stone, some anubias barteri for the drift wood and more eco-complete to increase the substrate depth and make the slope a little higher. Moss would be cool too. I was thinking rotala rotundifolia, staurogyne repens and HC. I also have a few stems of bacopa monnieri. I really wanted to create a progress journal.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Added a few plants I had laying around to make the tank look a little more full. Also added a circulating pump for my co2 instead of the airstone. and some more substrate on the right side.
red sea circulating pump-had
co2 set up- already had that too
H.polysperma Found it
C. caroliniana Found it
B. monnieri Petsmart $3.79?
L. repens Petsmart $2.59?
S. subulata had it
C. lutea had it

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.